Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13? planer having difficulty

hi my names Andy

i bought a 13? thickness planer about 6 months ago and I?ve used it 2 times. Today I went to plane some 3/4 pine down and couldn?t get my planer to take off even 1/64 of and inch. I tried multiple pieces and all had the same problem. I tried resetting the planer and double checking I didn?t have it set to low. I ran the same peice about 5 times to barely take off 1/32. It should easily be able to take off 1/8 but it just jams up. On top of that the rollers are leaving black marks along my wood. Some one please help me and let me know what to do

I know you don't have much use on it, but it sounds like the blades may be dull or gummed up with sap. Pine can get knives and blades nasty.
    I would start by inspecting blade alignment and give them a good cleaning.

Comment

You should also clean the feed rollers and wax the tables.

Comment

I rarely try and plane off more than 1/32" on a pass thru. Trying to take 1/8" off the board is hard on the machine and blades. I know you're working with soft pine but your planer will thank you for just taking off a little bit at a time.
        Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often... Usually for the same reason.

Comment

I will inspect the blades when I get home today, I did take a brief look at them yesterday and they all seemed sharp and in good condition. What is best used to clean the rollers, I wouldn?t want to damage the rubber. I would be okay with 1/16 or even 1/32 per pass but I can?t get it to feed the stock through. Is it common to only be able to shave off 1/64 at a time?

Comment

I believe the manual says that 1/8-inch is the absolute maximum you should ever try to take off! I have the older 1300 and I can easily plain off just a sliver. Thinking about your explanation, and I'm wondering if you overloaded the rollers the first couple of times you used it, and perhaps cutting more than you should have, thus dulling or gumming up the blades or wearing down the feed rollers. To me, that would explain those black marks, looking like skid marks, as the rollers wore down trying to pull the stock through too thick of a cut.

I'm by no means an expert or even an experienced veteran of this tool, as I've only used mine a few times. But it just sounds to me like the rollers are worn to a point where they won't feed the stock.

CWS

Comment

I use mineral spirits to clean my rollers. Also, what Paarker said about waxing the tables is important too for the stock to feed thru smoothly. Johnsons Paste Wax or any other paste wax is good for this as long as the wax doesn't have silicone as an ingredient.
              Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often... Usually for the same reason.

Comment

Cwsmith,
                thank you I appreciate your in put. I have never tried feeding more than a 16th and never fed anything other than pine. You might be right that they are worn down but I?m just having a problem seeing as to how it is worn down when I never tried cutting to much. If you are correct and the rollers are worn down. What?s my next step? How would I fix this? Or would cleaning be enough. Thank you for your help
                badgerdave
                perfect I will try mineral spirits and paste wax today as well.

Comment

An 1/8 of an inch is a lot for any lunch box planer. I rarely take off more then 1/32 with my Dewalt planer. Mineral spirits and Johnsons paste wax is all I use on my feed rollers and tables too.

Comment

I have to ask did you buy this new or "USED"???
                    If it's new then return it for a new one or use the warranty to fix it.
                    If it's used ...well ya gots what ya paid fer! and that's why it was sold

Cactus Man

Comment

I'll have the decaf

Comment

If you have planed only a 1/16th then I doubt that you've worn the rollers considering you've only used this a few times. Did you buy it new or used?

As others have mentioned, the tables should be waxed so they offer a smooth, little friction surface on which to feed and out feed the stock. Likewise repeat advice on cleaning the rollers.

With the planer UNPLUGGED, can you observe or feel the condition of the rollers? (UNPLUG, UNPLUG, UNPLUG... before you reach in there!).

If you still have the problem or don't see anything wrong, and if you purchased this new, then I think I'd check with your local authorized service center (you can find that here on this web site at this link: https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/service-centers-repair )

CWS

Comment

I cleaned the rollers and waxed the table and it helped significantly. Only problem is I have to do it every 10-15 passes. I?m assuming it is because of the sap in the wood like John said. I noticed a section of the blades that was pretty gummed up. Thank you guys for your help.

Comment

Pine and fur can get pretty nasty especially if it wasn't properly kiln dried.

I love the cost of pine but if you ask me, oak is the perfect wood to work with.

Edit: Of course it's wise to avoid knots whenever possible.
                            Hopefully this isn't knotty pine? Lol.
                            Last edited by johncameron; 09-21-2018, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X