Driving in difficult screws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving in difficult screws

I had to install a few 4x6 beam hangers to support posts above for a large opening. Unfortunately I didn't plan well and had a very difficult installation since I was about an 1 1/2" from a adjoining blocks on one side. I installed the hanger using Simpson structural screws however even using a socket wrench because of the angles I was having a heck of a time turning the screws.

I've never used soap or wax on a wood screw before, I didn't have any bees wax but I did have some hotel soap which I scraped on to the screws threads and voila the screws went in like budda.

You know what works really well?... the wax seal used for toilet flanges.

CWS

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent, thanks for the tip.

My preference is to drill a pilot hole, but that doesn't sound possible in the situation you describe with limited access. Good thinking to use any soap or lubricant that was available.

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, even with a right angle drill I couldn’t physically get a drill in the space. I nearly gave up and almost began demoing the blocking that was in the way. But it’s under my floor in a crawl space and I really didn’t want to go through that again.

If you do go the lube route be careful how much you use as it can interfere with your finish or stain the wood over time.
    A little dab will do ya as they used to say. :-)
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      No question especially with stickier stuff. I sort of also wonder about pull strength a little. It probably seems ridiculous but I do think about how much more easily a screw with pull out that's been lubricated.
Working...
X