MS1290LTZA miter saw guard actuator link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS1290LTZA miter saw guard actuator link

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement guard actuator link, item # 830041?
    I have searched everywhere on line and the best that I can tell is that it has been discontinued.
    I would buy the whole assembly if I had to, item # 830040 but it is unavailable as well.
    Is there a replacement item for this?

What happened to the link on your saw. Is it missing or just bent/broken.

If the part is no longer available maybe you can make one or have one made for you.

It looks to be nothing more than a piece of flat stock cut to a specific shape with a slot in it.

But that's just a guess from looking at a 2 dimensional image of the part online.

If yours is broken it should be able to be repaired. It could be welded back together,
    ground smooth and with a touch of paint it would be good as new.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ac...u3mk58haj7ptn4
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Thank you for the response.
      It is bent. Looks like this was a known common problem with this saw. I tried to bend it back but to no avail as it has to be to an exact shape or it will not work. It is a rather thin and soft steel and bends quite easily.
      One would think that Ridgid would have a replacement that would resolve this, but I have not found any.

Comment

Unfortunately they don't stock spare parts forever. It would be nice if there was some commitment or requirement to have to stack parts for x number of years like the auto industry. Sears used to be pretty good about spare parts. Usually you could go find a part for a Craftsman tool long after that tool was out of production. But in the past 8 years or so with reduced sales they had to curtail that policy no doubt. I went to Searsparts.com many times and found parts for 20 year old Craftsman tools. With RIDGID and other brands you are lucky if you can find them 3 years later. The higher quality tool lines such as Fein, Festool to name just two seem to be a little better at maintaining a stock of spare parts.

So knowing this support AFTER the sale in the form of spare parts availability should factor into buying decisions for all of us. If you consider your tools to be disposable then maybe that doesn't matter. Just buy the cheapest tool that will do the job with the level of quality and features you need and when it's gone trash it and buy another. The tool companies like this attitude and it's the market they aim for I think as it has the highest profit margin for them which is all that matters in todays corporate world. Keep stock value rising and company growing are the primary objectives it seems. Customer satisfaction or support are way down the list, if they even appear there for some companies.

So in the long run maybe a saw that costs $50 or $100 more wasn't such a bad deal, depending on the brand. It's also easy to pay more and screwed just as hard in the end so do your research before plunking down your hard earned tool dollars.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I signed up just to post our solution to this issue. Our 12" sliding miter is a key component for our high school robotics team. Yesterday when the actuator finally deformed to unusability (after about a zillion cuts) we tried to order a new one, but having a CAD/CNC facility, one of our students replicated the part in SolidWorks based upon online imagery. We have the file if anyone would want it, and we'd be happy to make the part for, say, a $20 donation to our team. For an extra $5 we can have a student create a bushing as well. Construction is made from slightly thicker aluminum stock and works well to actuate the guard. Here's a picture of the old bent guard, next to the one our student made.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	actuator.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	743473

Comment

Originally posted by Blipvert View Post
            I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I signed up just to post our solution to this issue. Our 12" sliding miter is a key component for our high school robotics team. Yesterday when the actuator finally deformed to unusability (after about a zillion cuts) we tried to order a new one, but having a CAD/CNC facility, one of our students replicated the part in SolidWorks based upon online imagery. We have the file if anyone would want it, and we'd be happy to make the part for, say, a $20 donation to our team. For an extra $5 we can have a student create a bushing as well. Construction is made from slightly thicker aluminum stock and works well to actuate the guard. Here's a picture of the old bent guard, next to the one our student made.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	actuator.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	743473
            Very impressive. I hope that you are able to help several people in need of this part.

Comment

I could use those parts for sure

Comment

Working...
              X