Planer rust removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planer rust removal

I recently purchased a used planer but it is somewhat rusted. How should I go about cleaning it? Spray with WD-40 or disassemble the whole planer to clean it? I’m unsure if disassembling it will impact the quality of the planer. Any tips for disassembly?

You could take just the plastic housing off and use a scotch brite to the post and rollers and wire wheel the rest before lube. I would start with the post before moving the cutter head.

Comment

For surface rust, brush on some Naval Jelly.

Comment

I got some of it dismembered. How do you take the plastic side off with the up/down lever? I took the top off and the knobs but it seems to be caught in the bottom corner.
        I can’t raise the planer any higher due to the rust but I have been using Boeshield and scotchbrite pad.
        Also, I found grease in the gear box, is that the recommended lubricant?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Planer Cover Off.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	744575

This pic is off another forum but according to the pic poster there's only 2 screws that hold that side ( right ) after removal of knobs.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	744576

Here's a diagram of your TP1300 ( disregard the blue arrow pic.... it's off E-bay and there selling those pads. )

If there's grease in your gear box I wouldn't add any more.... hopefully it's not as bad as the pic above... and I would use a dry lube for the post or any other moveable part that can subjected to sawdust.

Comment

Which two screws are you referring to? It seems like there is a screw on the bottom back corner or something holding it in place. Due to the rust I can’t lift the planer and it’s pretty low.

I can turn that knob to raise it and lower it a couple times and I see it going up and down on the threaded shaft but I don’t think it is raising or lowering on the columns.

Comment

Top post screws .... judging from pics online and the manual it doesn't appear to be anymore ( I have the R4331 ) so I can't compare mine to yours.. can you take a pic of the area that's holding the cover ?

Comment

It seems like it’s stuck right at the end of that red arrow. I believe it goes into the “Repeat a cut” knob

Comment

I got it off. The “Repeat a cut” knob just takes some force to pull out. Here are some better pictures of the inside.

Comment

Best tool for rust removal. 4 1/2". Grinder with a cup wire wheel. KILLER SETUP. Good Luck ,Sully Da Welder
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Success you got it disassembled .... from looking at the pics I don't think they used it much. I would add a small amount of chain lube to the gearbox.

I also have the setup as toolaholic mentioned ... does work good on rust... pic below... Good luck.

Name:	rust remover.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	744641

Comment

Chris,have you had any luck with your rust?I have the same model recently bought with the same problem.I haven't moved past spraying penetrant on the posts and screws.
                        I'll move forward with removing the covers and see what I can see.

Comment

Working...
                        X