Is my router bit going to kill me .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my router bit going to kill me .

The question I have , Is there a standard / minimal depth a router bit shaft must be inserted into a collet to be deem safe to operate? . Why I ask is I been making a privacy screen to be put in front of a water main to hide it and been using a stile and rail router bit set I have .

When it come to coping the rails I was going to make my own jig but did not have any stock on hand so I ordered a coping sled from Peachtree woodworking . The sled brought my workpiece up 1/2 " thus I raised my router bit about 1/2 " from the collet bottom to make the corresponding cope .

I got about a inch of the router shaft into the collet . Is this a safe practice or should I buy a collet extension ? Here's some pics. maybe not can't upload.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roter bit.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	748654Click image for larger version

Name:	router bit 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	748655

Last edited by drainman scott; 04-13-2021, 07:10 PM. Reason: added pics

@drainman scott
    I usually set my bits in fully then pull them out about an eighth so they don't bottom out when tightening. I know that's not your question though.
    Most times I think that is the recommended insertion depth.

When you have an inch of the bot shank in the collet how much less is that than inserted to recommended or 'normal'?

You're doing this in a router table right? You didn't say so but there is no other way to use a sled so I assume you are.

I have done as you suggest and run with a bit inserted less than fully but maybe to gain an eighth not a half inch.

A lot of times I don't use a sled. I just back up the piece with a scrap that is wide enough to get good bearing on the fence so usually about 4 to 6 inches and about a foot long.
    Then I just place my rail in front of the backup piece and push the two of them through the bit.

You can also make a thin sled from 1/4" ply and put a fence on it. Make your fence the same height as the rail thickness (probably 3/4) then pay a piece on top that hangs out over the rail by an inch. Then your workpiece is trapped beneath the top piece and the fence. Makes the operation that much safer
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
    "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

@ Bob D ... It's a Bosch router table with a Bosch 1617evs router .. I'm routing 3/4 " MDF 2 1/2 " stile and 3 1/2 " rail . I also set my bit up about 1/8 " also from collet bottom so it don't become a heat sink . So I am about 3/8" higher that I normally set my bits.

When I ordered the sled it didn't dawn on me that it would raise my workpiece 1/2 " . I built 2 panels so far one more to go in front of electrical panel hung down from the ceiling with some french cleats . What was one my little workshop has become my wife's work from home 3 days a week office that's why I'm building panels for her Facetime meetings with the big bosses .

Click image for larger version

Name:	electric water meter.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	748657Click image for larger version

Name:	panels.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	748658
      Last edited by drainman scott; 04-13-2021, 07:24 PM. Reason: added pics

Comment

If the bit shank and collet are clean I think I would try it. Maybe mark the bit so you can measure if it moves and check after a few minutes running time.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
        "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

• drainman scott
          drainman scott commented
          Editing a comment
          I took your advice and cleaned up the router shanks with some emery cloth and marked the coping bit with a sharpie ... no movement thanks .

• Bob D.
          Bob D. commented
          Editing a comment
          I checked a few of my Freud bits and they all have a line on them that I measured at one inch from the end which is marked as minimum insertion depth. Be careful with emery cloth or another abrasive, I know it would take a lot for it to happen but you wouldn't want to reduce the diameter of the shank. When I have cleaned mine I use some CRC 05018 Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner. I like that stuff because it is non-flammable, non-conductive, and leaves no residue. It takes gunk and grease off quickly.
      Working...
      X