No announcement yet.

Bob's Shop Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have found if I look at the last place first I save a lot of time searching!
    Is it possible it is under your new floor?
    I believe you do not have an aluminum magnet but I bet you have a metal detector that you can hunt with.

Cactus Man

Comment

Well the last place I used it was in the front half of the garage. So not the shop but where the cars are parked normally. It was the only space large enough to setup sawhorses for cutting sheetrock. I have not used it anywhere else. It has not left the premises since I moved here. I have been through the garage, the shop, the basement multiple times. Tried using the flashlight focusing trick to concentrate on a small area and searched all the spaces. I have literally looked specifically over 8 times for this the drywall square and it has never turned up. I have sorted through my stack of plywood, looked under and behind everything, nada.

No, it would not fit under the floor, there is no space there. No sleepers that the floor is built upon.

I don't know where it went but it does not want to be found. Someday it will turn up and I will kick myself for not finding it. But until then I'll keep looking.

I do not believe it got thrown out with trash. I take all the trash to the dump so it would have been me loading it in my truck and hauling it away. And I'm pretty sure I would have said "WTF are you doing tossing this out?" Besides, I have trouble trashing stuff that I consider might be of use some day, so lots of junk hanging around.

I'm getting better and getting rid of a lot of those items, hence me selling off a bunch of tools I have not used in years. I never lend tools to anyone so it did not go that route. And I doubt someone stole it because just why and how would they even know I have the thing to begin with or where to find it. We keep doors to outbuildings and the house locked most of the time. If I'm working in the yard, I may have the garage door open and the house door unlocked.

But normally even during the day doors are kept locked. Not because we live in a bad neighborhood, it is actually very nice and safe. I can't remember the last time we had any sort of crime in our neighborhood. It's just how I was brought up when we lived in a not-so-great neighborhood so I've continued with that habit. We keep all our vehicles locked at all times. Doesn't matter if I plan to go out again in 15 minutes I lock the door always when I get out of the vehicle. I figure if I do it the same every time I will not have to remember what to do or If I did it. I know I did it because it is part of my ritual of getting out of the vehicle.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
      "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

I've been sorting cr@p out in the shop and trying to figure out where
        to put stuff now. This is gonna drive me nuts after years of having things
        in one place and now they are moved, but I'll catch on eventually (I hope).

I will build doors for this cabinet eventually. Right now I just want to
        get stuff put away. I don't even know if these tools will stay in there
        in the end so not having to work around the doors is a good thing at
        this point.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20211127_Shop Upgrades (12).jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.9 KB ID:	751145

This side of the shop was all cleaned up. but now it's buried in all the
        stuff I pulled off the south wall and from out of the bench before it was
        moved to the east wall.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20211127_Shop Upgrades (7).jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.8 KB ID:	751146

The miter bench is about half done. I am waiting on some t-track to
        put in the bed and also need to finish building the drawers that fit
        under the bed. They are shallow but I figured I might as well take
        advantage of the storage space. On the left side of the saw I have
        one space big enough for a drawer that can hold three or maybe
        four 12" blades. Right now they are stashed in a cabinet nowhere
        near the saw. I had a bunch of narrow strips of 1/2" MDO in my
        pile of hoardings which were wide enough to make the drawer sides
        out of. I hate when that happens because then I have to admit that
        it was worth hanging on to those scraps for 4 years because you
        just never know. :-) I have the Kreg Foreman set up with a dedicated
        vacuum and dust separator (the 5 gallon bucket behind the DP) which
        is operated off an accessory switch when I start up the pocket hole
        machine. The vac itself is in the cabinet below the Kreg Foreman.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20211127_Shop Upgrades (11).jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.3 KB ID:	751147

Here's my RIDGID MSUV. Don't know what to do with it now. It never
        left the shop so I guess I should have built a miter saw bench from
        the beginning. Now it has to get out of here as it is in the way.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20211127_Shop Upgrades (8).jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.0 KB ID:	751148

I found a bunch of those RIDGID cloth zippered bags that they ship
        with the tools. I have never used any of those and usually just throw
        them out. I came across a couple I didn't toss for some reason. I guess
        they will go to the dump next week. Don't know why I saved these
        particular ones.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 11-28-2021, 05:52 AM.

----

Comment

I brought over that metal bench from storage. I will probably take the MSUV
          over there unless I decide to sell it. Hate to let it go because they don't make
          that model with the big flat table any more. I don't know if anyone does.

Most are just a rail with a pair of clamp bars to attach your saw. What I like
          about the original MSUV is you can use it for a planer, a small jointer, or even
          a benchtop open-sided belt sander.

Here's a photo from earlier this year when I picked it up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021_Red_Bench.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	751156
          Last edited by Bob D.; 11-28-2021, 03:04 PM.

----

Comment

Here it is in the shop. Still needs to be cleaned up and some touchup painting done.
            But it's getting too cold out to do that now so will have to wait for Spring and I don't
            want to try spraying something this size in the shop. The top is roughly 25"D x 60"W.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211128_165213.jpg Views:	0 Size:	325.1 KB ID:	751165

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211128_161239.jpg Views:	0 Size:	306.5 KB ID:	751167

I got this because I wanted a place to do metal work without messing up my
            woodworking bench or if I come across a nice small metal lathe I will stick it
            on here. Don't think I will mount a vise on it. I have a vise on the other bench.

I found this site with info on the bench. It's made by Clarke.

https://www.clarketooling.co.uk/prod...eel-workbench/
            Last edited by Bob D.; Yesterday, 05:43 AM.

----

Comment

Here's something I made a couple months ago that might interest some of you.

I have this corner radius jig from Woodpeckers but it doesn't see a lot of use. I do use it from time to time but always wishing I could get some more milage out of it because it wasn't cheap. It does work very well for rounding over corners. I have no issues with its performance. However it is not intended to be used on small pieces like drink coasters. Which is why I made this modification. Woodpeckers does sell another radius jig that would be better suited to rounding corners on small pieces such as this, but I did not want to spend more money for something I might not use again. I wanted to get more use out of what I have.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Coaster Jig  (7).jpg Views:	0 Size:	357.2 KB ID:	751169Click image for larger version  Name:	Coaster Jig  (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	413.2 KB ID:	751170

I had a dozen coasters to make and I wanted to have an easy, foolproof way to round over the corners consistently to a 1/2" radius. But 1/4" thick, 4x4 inch coasters don't give you much to hold on to. I came up with this jig which flips the Woodpeckers Corner Radius Jig on its back and with the aid of a hold-down clamp lets me round over the corners quickly and safely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Coaster Jig  (3).jpg Views:	0 Size:	373.4 KB ID:	751174Click image for larger version  Name:	Coaster Jig  (6).jpg Views:	0 Size:	267.8 KB ID:	751172

My jig attaches to the corner jog without any tools. I made an insert that fits snugly into the hand hole on the Woodpeckers jig. That's all that is required to hold it all together.

The strip hanging out over the corner is to level the jig when cutting. It's wide so that it spans the miter slot in the router table and maintains a stable footing on the table. The L-shaped piece of MDO is positioned so the edges of the coaster are flush with the radius jig. For larger or smaller size coasters I would imagine you could just modify the notch size in the MDO. I haven't tried any sizes other than 4x4 inches.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Coaster Jig  (8).jpg Views:	0 Size:	303.9 KB ID:	751171Click image for larger version  Name:	Coaster Jig  (10).jpg Views:	0 Size:	315.1 KB ID:	751173

Click image for larger version  Name:	Coaster Jig  (11).jpg Views:	0 Size:	341.7 KB ID:	751175

I can snap the coaster jig on and off with no tools in just a second or two and use the jig for something else. It is also possible to change the radius if desired without removing the coaster jig.

The only thing to watch out for is the grain direction in relation to router bit rotation, but that is something you would have to be aware of no matter how you rounded over the corners. You can do two opposite corners then you have to flip the coaster over to radius the last two corners.

Making this addition to the Corner Radius Jig didn't save me any time. I'm sure it took longer than if I just plowed ahead and 'got her done'. But it did make the job safer and the next time I am making coasters it will go faster.
              Last edited by Bob D.; Yesterday, 08:30 PM.

----

Comment

Working...
              X