X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodworking newbee...

Hey fellas! I am as green as green gets to woodworking but i'm here to learn from the masters. I JUST purchased a TS3650 at HD and i'm jazzed to start learning. I know what you are thinking... "Why did a guy who knows NOTHING about woodworking go out and buy such a great table saw to start out with?" Actually the 3650 isn't my first table saw. I have a low-end Delta bench. It's an okay saw, but for the kind of things i want to learn to do woodworking wise i knew it wasn't going to do anything but frustrate.
    Anyway... After this i will mostly be keeping my mouth shut and reading and learning what i can from you guys.
    I'll probably ask a lot of stupid newbee questions so i hope you will be patient with me.
    I have some good books and a great saw so i'm getting ready to take the big plunge.
    Tomorrow i start the assembly. Any "gotchas" i need to be aware of?
    Thanks
    Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Here's a little something I posted a few months ago. It might save you a little head scratching and forehead slapping.

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new 3650. It's a great saw.

Originally posted July '05

Assembly tips - Don't install the handwheels until after you stand it upright. The front rail takes 5 bolts, not 4 as per inst. That's why there are 9 bolts (5 front, 4 back). The nuts and bolts are a mix of standard and metric and will drive you nuts! Be real fussy about setting up the fence and rails, it's critical for safe and accurate cutting. Get help standing it upright, it's heavy (duh!). When you're all done you'll have 3 bolts left over. They are for attaching an aux fence if you need one. Apply a good coat of paste wax to the table, rails and fence (Johnsons, Butchers, etc.). Get a couple table saw books from the library for inst. on how to make inserts along with other jigs and fixtures and tuning inst. Good luck and have fun!

Almost forgot. The inst. for mounting the motor are a little screwy. Just adjust the motor in or out until there is tension on the belt thru the full range of blade heights
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Welcome aboard

Welcome to the Ridgid forum. You caught us as we are all learning the tricks to using the new forum software, so we are in the process of learning something new too, today is day one for the vBulletin software.

Use the search feature and look at the many threads on the 3650 and assembly tips/comments. There are many helpful tips preserved thanks to the efforts of the forum administrator(s) who were good enough to migrate all the old posts over to the new forum. So all those fish stories we all told over the past few years will live on.

Read through the manual twice before you start, Take your time and don't rush it. There is no prize for finishing the fastest except maybe forgetting something and having to take it half apart to make it right. You should have three sq. hd screws left over. Don't panic! There are for attaching an aux fence. If you have more than three, THEN it's time to panic.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Once you get the saw set up, good alignment and a good blade make the most impact on the quality of the cuts.

The miter slot is a fixed reference, so you'll want to align the fence parallel and blade parallel to the miter slot. Since it's difficult to get it exact, many blade manfacturers recommend a slight toe out of the fence to the blade by about 0.003" to avoid any toe in, which can pinch and cause kickback. Be sure to push the fence forward before locking it down to make sure it's aligned.

Keep the blade that comes with the 3650 for rough cuts and higher risk wood, but I'd upgrade for final cuts. There's different philosophies about which blades to use. Purists like to use a dedicated 18T-30T rip blade for ripping, a 60T-80T crosscut blade for crosscuts, and some keep an 80T zero to negative hook angle blade for sheet goods. Many of us find that a good 40T-50T combo or general purpose blade does a good job with most of our cuts. I'm personally very fond of the Forrest WWII 40T thin kerf blade. I use it for most cuts and haven't found a blade that cuts cleaner in more materials yet. Amazon has it for ~ $81 delivered right now...it's expensive but worth IMO. I also use a $29 DeWalt DW7124TK 24T FTG rip blade for heavy hardwoods over 1" thick. There are many excellent manufactures out there. The Freud F410, Tenryu Gold Medal, DeWalt DW7657, and Ridge Carbide TS2000 are all roughly comparable to the Forrest. Freud's LU83 or LU84 are good value combo blades IMO. There are good blades from Leitz, Everlast, Amana, CMT, and Systematic too. Ebay often has some great deals going.

You might also want to consider making a crosscut sled and/or grabbing a good aftermarket miter gauge like and Incra or Woodhaven. They start at around $60 ($50 on sale).

Get yourself some featherboards, push devices and zero clearance inserts for safety. There's a push device called the Gripper that I find awesome to use.

Wax the surface of your saw with a good paste wax that contains no silicone (most automotive waxes have silicone). I use Johnsons, others use Minwax, and there are several other good ones.

Comment

Wow, thanks guys! Lots of great advise. That's what i need.
          Thanks Lorax for digging up your original post. I'll be fussy about the whole assembly.
          Thanks Bob. I've been going through everything 3650 and you are right there is a lot of good info in here (that's why i registered). Twice through the manual - got it.
          Thanks Hewood for all the info on the blades. Needless to say i'm going to have to print this thread out! .
          I've read a few threads on dados for the 3650 but what do you guys suggest? I know this is something i will be doing alot but never having used a dado set before i REALLY don't have a clue here.
          Thanks again guys!
          Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Hey guys, I just picked up a 3650 also, so this thread is going to come in very handy. BTW, this is my first table saw. I got tired of borrowing my neighbor's or Dad's benchtop saws and I decided to just go for the gold (or orange as the case may be).

I'm going to be starting my assembly tomorrow morning, so hopefully some of you guys will be around to answer questions if they arrise!!

Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Hey jigsaw! Glad i'm not alone on this new assembly thing.
              I'm going to start my assembly a little later today. I read through the instructions once and with the help the other guys gave me (and another quick reading of the instructions) above, i should be ready to create the perfect saw. I'm suprisingly excited about this.
              I look forward to hearing how your assm. is going.
              Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Welcome aboard

Welcome, I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I have. There are lots of great folks here who are very generous with their time and experience. Enjoy the new saw and always watch where you place those fingers and hands.

Happy New Year,

CWS

Comment

Don't wax the fence guide rail you don't want the rail to slip rather you want it to grip. Wax the table top & fence.

Comment

I just finished the assembly last week....Take your time with it, and you should be fine. Match up the parts before attaching anything...some of the directions can be vague
                    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
                    ~Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yeah, i'm noticing some of the vaugness. I'm up to the point where you turn the saw upright. All in all though it's been good. I will say i am impressed with the packaging. I don't know, maybe i've been buying nothing but crap all my life but how this saw was pachaged up seems VERY professional. It's my first Ridgid product. Are all of Ridgid products so carefully and thoughtfully packaged?
                      Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Yeah the packaging is very good, unfortunately that it the part you throw away.

If only they had put as much thought into the owners manual and worked some of the bugs out of it.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I guess that's what makes a community like this so great. Guys willing to share the knowledge to us squids that would otherwise be lost.
                          Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

How's the build going? My dad came over this morning around 9:30 and we finished setting mine up at about 3:45. I must have really lucked out because the fence and the blade were in perfect alignment with the mitre slots right out of the box!!

This is a beautiful saw. It takes up a lot of floor space, but I think it's going to be worth it.

BTW, I downloaded the manual off of ridgid's product page and it was MUCH more detailed then the one that came in the box.

Comment

Well, i finished up my build. i would say it was probably around the 8 hours that most take (over a three day period). Unfortunately when it came time to grab up the fence during the assembly i found that the locking handle was completely broken off. The only thing holding it to the fence was the plastic wrapping they put around it. You talk about deflated and disappointed. I couldn't believe it. Everything was just perfect then i find that.
                              I went ahead with the assembly anyway and finished it up.
                              Couldn't call Ridgid because it was evening on New Years eve. Don't think anybody was going to pick up the phone (I know i wouldn't be there).

I was wondering if maybe Ridgid had posted a PDF or something on the website with an updated manual. Good thinking jigsaw.
                              You could tell that different people had written different sectiions of the manual. Especially the Herc-U-Lift part. I had gotten spoiled with them telling me exactly which bolt and nut to use, then the Herc section didn't tell you anything.
                              I also managed to twist off one of the bolts that hold the Herc leg brackets on {scratching my head in wonder}. Not sure how that happened. Add no i'm not some neanderthal who doesn't know his own strength.

By the way... HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!
                              Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Working...
                              X