Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a great looking outfeed table. Now that you've revealed it, how about a few more detailed photos and some particulars. What was the method you used to mount the fixed table to the saw? Any info is appreciated.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

BTW..What provision is made for a blade guard/splitter/riving knife? Thanks.

Comment

The TS is a Craftsman 1999 Model 10" 315.228510. It was my Father's.
        Building Norm's router table was a fun project, although I'm thinking about converting one of the bit drawers over to a standard drawer, one drawer on the top is just not enough.

As far as mounting the fixed table to the TS, I used 3" wide flat aluminum and 1.25" square aluminum tubing. Drilled holes in the end of the cast iron TS extension and fastened the aluminum to the side like so.

This is pretty much like Bob D's design. I didn't need to cut the bottom out to allow for the 45 degree cut. Beleive me I checked to make sure that wouldn't be a problem.

For the 13" fixed extension I used a stair tread which is 1 1/8" thick trimmed in oak. For the folding extension part I used 3/4 mdf and made the oak trim the same height as on the fixed piece, other wise you'll run into an issue with your piano hinge mounting.

No provision was made for the blade guard, splitter or riving knife. (I must admit I don't know what a riving knife is).. I counted the times that I have ever used a blade guard in the past 53 years and I discovered that I never use a blade guard so I made my TS extension accordingly. I could change it if the need arose so who knows.

I basically followed Bob D's design, there are a couple of differences, just like there is anytime you build something to suite your needs.

Steve
        Webmaster @ Cabinet Lighting Project

Comment

Thanks for the additional photos and the information. I asked about the splitter since everything I have ever read about table saw safety refers to it. In mounting the piano hinger to the fold down table, the oak trim of the fold down table in one of the photos doesn't look wide enough to accept the screws. Am I missing something? I understand that the fixed table is more "substantial" so as to avoid flexing due to the distance between the 1.25" mounting bars. What did you use for the folding legs? Cudos on the first rate project.

Comment

I have never used a splitter.

The oak trim is 3/4" wide which is wide enough for the piano hinge.

The folding legs were made from 7/8" square aluminum tubing with a 3" long piece of oak cut to fit inside of the tubing (tight), fastened in with 2 screws. Then I drilled a hole in the center of the oak and screwed in a brass threaded insert and just used a 2" bolt to adjust the leg height. The mounting point for the leg was made from some left over 1.25" tubing with one side cut out.

Then I had a couple of lid brackets that I used to keep the legs from folding out.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Comment

Many thanks for the very useful photos and information. I'm assuming you used formica for the table tops as you noted oak and mdf previously. Really a great job. It looks very attractive and functional.

Comment

Nice job Steve, I like it.

My table legs are pretty much like yours, except I found a use for some hardware other than it was meant to be used since the price was right. I used some epoxy to stick a couple magnets to the legs and underside of the table to hold them when folded up.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks Bob, When I went looking several months ago for an outfeed table I came across your posting and thought What A Great Idea! Now big stuff will be cut much easier.

I guess I should look at some more of your posts to see what other ideas you might have.

One project I want to tackle soon is a work station for my DeWalt sliding compound saw. Norm has a good set up but it's for a regular miter saw. So I'm looking...

Thanks again for your inspiration.

Steve

Comment

SBORDER....As I set about planning a similar table, what method did you use to attach the oak trim to the mdf? Also, are both fixed and folding table topped with formica? Any thought on using melamine coated flat stock? Thanks.

Comment

The oak trim was fastened with biscuits, a person could use pocket screws.
                      I guess with using mdf I feel safer with biscuits.

Both fixed and folding portions are formica. I don't see why melamine wouldn't work, except any melamine that I have ever seen isn't very stout, but then there may be a commercial grade product some place.

The formica isn't cheep mine was about $90.00, maybe I'm not buying it at the best place.

When you get yours done I'd like to see it. It's always great to get ideas from other woodworkers.

Steve

Comment

Great idea! Now about that router table I see between the fences....

The folding out feed is a greatt idea. I'll plan on one myself, only a shorter version. Maybe even without the hinge.

What I am really interested in is fashioning a router table into the same spot as the one I see in the photo.

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on this.

My main question is how does it interact with the 3650 fence and t-slot?

Can this really replace the router table for fine work?

I just bought my 3650 and the Ridgid 10" mitre saw. Both are very nice.

I'm also considering a new router and saw the new ridgid 2.25 horse. Looks good but I wonder about mounting plates.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comment

Alternative (smaller) design...

Bob D.'s design is very nice, and I like it alot, but I don't have quite so much room. I just finished this one which I made from a 2x4' sheet of melamine clad MDF.

Excuse the clamps you see, they are just holding some spacers that are glued (and were later also screwed) into the bottom of the MDF. The spacers have captive 3/8" carriage bolts that hold the front of the table just below (1/32") the trailing edge of the saw table.

The table is attached to the saw by two L-channel steel braces. The one on the right is cut-away partially to allow for clearance of the motor at a full 45 degree tilt.

I also simply enlarged the existing holes that were provided in the arbor housing so they could accommodate a 1/4-20 machine screw, and attached my L-channel to that.

The back is supported by wooden legs that pivot down and adjust to my uneven floor. I biscuited a 3/4 x 1-1/2" rail along the back to keep the whole affair flat. I'm working up a drawing (in Google Sketchup) that I can post here. Perhaps Bob will do the same?

Comment

Wow

Wish I'd found this forum 6 months ago. I've been wracking my brain on how to build an outfeed extension that moved with my saw and yall had the answers all along. Just about the time I get to thinking I am the smartest guy in the universe, I run across folks like yall that humble me. Thanks to all of you.
                            I'll be baaaaaack.
                            (((Sorry, too much Terminator)))

Comment

I would be interested in seeing the drawings if you have had time to get them done.

Comment

Re: 3650 Outfeed Table

I finally caved and bought myself a TS3650. I wanted to go ahead and put in the extension arms for an outfeed while I was assembling the table, and I liked Bob's design here, the best. But I ran into a snag.

After driving to and fro across town all weekend, I've been unable to find 3" aluminum bar. The best option I find is 2" aluminum or 3" welding steel, neither of which are good options as I understand it.

Suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                X