3650 Outfeed Table

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3650 Outfeed Table

Just to reiterate my suggestion, see the photos a few posts up from yours, where I show how to attach the angle steel that is typically sold in big box stores for about $10 for a 6' length. I reamed out the existing holes in the top of the cabinet just under the top, (they were for for routing the AC cord) to fit a 1/4-20 bolt. If you add legs to the back of the table, these angled extensions are plenty stiff enough to do the job, and if you want your table to be removeable, you can cut the angle, then quickly bolt the sections together. A slice of 3/4 plywood between the top of the angle and the bottom of the 3/4 MDF extension table (with maybe a washer or two for additional spacing) provided a surface that is just a tad below the saw table (so you don't catch the leading edge of the extension table when pushing the work through the saw.) Post me again if you can't see the photo for some reason and I'll send you an alternate link.

Best regards,
    -- Steve.

Comment

If worse comes to worse, I may try that. I'd just prefer the greater stability of a direct bolt connection to the cast iron surface rather than bolting to the casing.

Comment

cool design, funny cuz I was just about to post a few pics of a 1" thick particleboard that I intend to use for the outfeed table I am currently working on. It's laminated (formica/plastic) and the pics I am posting show how clean the cuts were made with my Ridgid combo blade with zero chip/tearout. The table I am working on will bolt up to the TS, but, I am in the design stage of making it so it "swings down/ folds down when not in use. It will or should swing down and hang behind the motor so we'll see how that turns out.
        Attached Files
        How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Comment

I've found a few places online that sell small quantity aluminum. You can get 5' of .25"x3" flatbar for $18-20, plus shipping (for those that may be interested).

Comment

Hey, I've never posted on this forum so I thought it's time to as I have received benefit from the wisdom here. I did go with the original design and mine looks identical. I purchased all my metal at the following link (http://www.metalsdepot.com/) Here are the details...

Stock Number: T311418
            Product Type: 6063 Aluminum Square Tube
            Description: 1-1/4 x 1-1/4 x 1/8 wall
            Quantity: 2
            Length: 4.0000 ft.
            Item Total: $32.40

Stock Number: F4143
            Product Type: 6061 Aluminum Flat
            Description: 1/4 X 3
            Quantity: 2
            Length: 4.0000 ft.
            Item Total: $46.48

I wanted a thicker side wall (1/4") but that isn't possible without going with larger tube. I consulted with my brother in law who does this stuff for a living and he said it should support the weight. He was wrong.

So basically my recommendation is that you put wood in the aluminum tube if you go with the thiner side wall. After hanging for only a week both my extension tubes started to bend. About 1/8". I basically addressed that by supporting the extension when it's hanging. Let me know if you want me to post pictures and I will happly help you out.

Also, I tried the extension rods to support the table when extended. That didn't work either. So going with a post and buying the correct hardware is the way to go.

As far as the router table I just purchased the Bench Dog router table leaf and bolted it on. I love it!

Bottom line...it's a good solution no matter how you slice it (Thanks Bob D.)!

Good luck!

Comment

Just got back from Lowe's. I'm going with .125"x3" flatbar steel for the drop from the table and 1.25"x1.25"x.125" for the tubes. I'll be coating it all with 2 or 3 layers of Rustoleum after I drill the holes (bright Orange Rustoleum, of course). I'm kinda just hoping that the superior strength of steel makes up for using thinner metal. Guess time will tell.

I ended up getting exterior electrical conduit for the support legs. It was far cheaper than any of the other options, and let's face it, the support legs just have to not wobble too much to do their job.

The good part is I haven't fully assembled the saw since I opened the box, so I'll be putting in the extensions from the start. I don't have a lot of time in the evenings, but I'm trying to make a little progress each night. I hope to have pictures to post sometime this weekend. I'm looking forward to a bright orange stripe down down the wing lines

Comment

After seeing the stuff here, I just had to build my own!

The outfeed supports are 2 1/2 inch angle aluminun that I got from my neighbor. I drilled holes to correspond to the existing holes in the body of the saw. You can see the aluminum through the gaps in the table saw wings.

I need to make a shim for the right side supprt to square things up a little better.

The table is 3/4 inch MDF finished with the ubiquetous (in my shop) tung oil.

There is a layer of 3/4 inch plywood between the alunimum and the MDF. The top of the outfeed table is aboput 1/8 lower than the saw table.

The whole thing is bolted together with 1/4 inch carriage bolts and lock washers.
                Attached Files
                "Dad, E means empty, NOT broken" - my cousin Doug, to his dad after the tractor ran out of diesel and Ed claimed the gas gauge was broken.

Comment

Originally posted by leer13 View Post
                  The table is 3/4 inch MDF finished with the ubiquetous (in my shop) tung oil.
                  Are you telling us you do slovenly work...?

Nice outfeed table. I think that's next for my 3650.

- djb
                  sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Concerning metalsdepot.com ;

I looked at their site, and checked prices on a couple sizes of angle and flat bar. In my opinion they are a bit high. I suggest you look at the following place which is where I bought my aluminum: www.ordermetal.com

I think if you email them with a list of the material you need, you will find that the pricing will be better than that at metalsdepot.com

If anyone has done so, I would be interested to hear what prices they quote over the internet vice making a purchase in person which is how I bought since they are only 20 minutes away.

I am guesstimating cause I bought a bunch of other material at the same time about 2 years ago but I'll bet I didn't spend more then $15 for all the aluminum I used in making my outfeed table including the 1-1/2" (open width) x 48" nickle-plated piano hinge that I also got there for $3, so that's < $12 for the aluminum which typically is $2/lb IIRC.

My BOM for the metal parts I bought from Fazzio's(ordermetals.com):

Quan. Desc.
                    (2) - 1/4" x 27" AL Flat Bar
                    (2) - 1-1/2" AL Sq. Tube, 41.25" long
                    (1) - 1/8" x 3/4" AL Angle, 30" Long
                    (1) - 1-1/2" x 48" Piano Hinge, Nickle Plated

I'd be surprised if Fazzio's prices today would top $40 including shipping for all the above material.

If you buy from Fazzio's or anywhere else, I would order your stock at least an inch or two long so you can trim to final dimension yourself and be sure your cuts are square.
                    ---
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 03-04-2007, 07:26 AM.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Bob,

I got a quote from them on Thursday (after having bought my supplies elsewhere), and they were pretty expensive. More than the previously mentioned website, anyway. You must be getting some sort of scrap deal as opposed to full retail price.

PS - I've been working on assembling my saw all week, and I keep popping bolts when tightening them. I'm up to 3 sheered bolts now, and I don't even have the saw standing up yet. If this is any indication of how the rest of my experience with the saw is going to be, I'm already disappointed.

Comment

Wow, I'm surprised (and sorry) to hear that about their internet pricing.

Yes, when I am there buying it is at scrap prices. Shame they are greedy when selling to people outside the area. I am assuming it is the same material stockpiles that are the source of the online and scrap material I have bought there.

Well, best thing then it to search out a similar local source in your neck of the woods, there is bound to be one. Might be an hour away, but if the price is right then that couple gallons of gas will be recovered fast.

Guess I won't be pushing Fazzio's to anyone outside the area any longer, their loss.
                        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Fazzio, Inc
                          Thank you for your inquiry. Your quote is as follows:

2 pcs - 1/4 x 3 alum flatbar x 12 ft. = $ 25.80/ea

2 pcs - 1-1/4 x 1/8 sq alum tube x 20 ft. = $33.70/ea

Prices do not include 7&#37; NJ sales tax or freight/delivery if applicable.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. We appreciate the opportunity to quote and look forward to supplying your material needs in the near future.

JOSEPH FAZZIO, INC.

Well over $100 for the aluminum, before shipping, though they very well might have botched the total lengths. Here was my quote request:
                          2 pcs 1/4" x 3" aluminum flatbar 30" long
                          2 pcs 1 1/4" aluminum square tube, 1/8" thickness, 48" long.

Why on earth they quoted me for the lengths in my quote I have no idea. But that's what I asked for and got as a resposne.
                          Last edited by hobby32092; 03-04-2007, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I just finished building my outfeed table and I've had the opportunity to use it a couple of times. Bob D., thanks for the idea. It has already made things much safer and easier. I changed couple of things on my table. I used 3" steel instead of aluminum between the wings. Instead of using the 1.25" aluminum square tubes I used perforated steel tubing. It was a lot easier to attach (less holes to drill) and it is really strong. I had some maple laying around so I used it to edge the table. It really improves the strength of the melamine and kind of adds a nice touch to it. Thanks again Bob!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nice job rnt80, looks great, nice tools in the back ground too. thanks for sharing the pictures.
                              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by hobby32092 View Post
                                Well over $100 for the aluminum, before shipping, though they very well might have botched the total lengths. Here was my quote request:
                                2 pcs 1/4" x 3" aluminum flatbar 30" long
                                2 pcs 1 1/4" aluminum square tube, 1/8" thickness, 48" long.

Why on earth they quoted me for the lengths in my quote I have no idea. But that's what I asked for and got as a resposne.
                                If you got one length of each it is $59.50 + shipping. And sipping on 12 and 20 ft lengths would be outta sight.

I may get over there tomorrow. They are only open till Noon on Sat. so not sure I will have time in the AM. I'll check on the prices and see. Maybe we could do a "group buy" where I could pick up some long lengths and then cut to 48" pieces and send out to those who want it. You could use steel sq tube which you should be able to get at any hardware store or home center. Paint it up and it will look nice. 1/4" steel flat bar would work too. You'll want to paint this also so you don't have to deal with rust.

All in all I like the aluminum better. Its got to be available relatively close to you just about anywhere. Check the yellow pages for some place the does machining or an aluminum dealer and ask about where you can pick up small quantities.

Comment

Working...
                                X