Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 3650 Outfeed Table

Originally posted by budedm View Post
    I've read this thread over about 3 times. Since it seems like the most trouble is getting the aluminum or steel for the arms, why can't I use wood? I figure I'll use 3/4x maybe 4" ply and bolt a small bracket to the side of it where I want to put the adjustable bolts for the table. I can bet it won't bend or sag. I can even make an angle iron type of arm out of it so it won't flex sideways either. Any input from you guys?
    Yeah you could use angle in place of the AL flat bar that I used. And you could use a second piece of angle in place of the square tube. Adapting to what materials are on hand is what makes this work for so many people so well. The angle leg needs to be wide enough to drop down past the bottom of the table so probably 2" angle would be the minimum. I choose aluminum because I would not have to worry about rust AND I had access to it at a reasonable price.

So people have used an all wood design. There are a few examples in this thread I believe if not they are on the forum in another thread. Search on outfeed table and you should find them.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

• I finished my outfeed table

I'm happy with it so far and can't think of anything I'd do different...YET. Still testing it.
      Attached Files

Comment

very nicely done. good workmanship on the edging. what are the tables made of, melamine? any pics of what was used to close up the rear of the saw and a few more of the small table supports and how they are connected to the saw would be really great? TIA.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

The top is particle board countertop topped with formica. I got it free so I didn't have a choice.

Here's a few pics of how I closed in the back of the saw for dust collection. It is all 1/4" plywood and the plastic chute is 14 x 14.

And the little supports are screw on T nuts that I got from Rockler. Here's a link. Pretty easy to install. The trick was to get them in the right spot. And another tricky part was getting the hole that goes through the square tubing in the right spot. I drilled it 1/32" oversize.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ilter=t%20nuts
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice job, I like it.

It's great that people post their versions in this thread, it
            makes it easy for others looking to build their own.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

Nice work you guys. I have been putting some thought into building one for myself.

Comment

I have started to add this to my saw,the only thing I am a little unclear about are the miter slots.The miter gauge has a wheel/guide that is a little wider than the actual bar,what width do I make the dado slot on the table.Do I have to make a slot under the dado or do I just make the dado the width of the wheel.
                Thanks to Bob for the initial idea,and to all the others for their input.

Comment

I made mine the width of the washer. By the time you get that far past the blade i did not find it necessary to maintain the 3/4" width.
                  I'm glad to see my design is still inspiring people to build their own custom versions for their saws.

Comment

Awesome thread! Wow, I thought I had some good ideas, and then I sorted through all of these versions and pics, thanks!
                    Free Bunk Bed Plans

Comment

I was curious how many people have actually made an out feed table like Bobs' and how exactly they went about attaching the aluminum to the TS. I did not find that the 1" square aluminum piece interfered with the bevel handle, which was my preferred way to attach it right to the orange body of the saw.

Once I purchased the aluminum I realized it didn't sit square as it hit the motor. I'm curious how many people have actually drilled into the cast iron portion of the TS and how risky this is! I just got the saw and don't want to mess it up! The flat aluminum I got was around 1" inch in width, but I'm thinking I need 3" now!

I suppose the left side can attach to the body of the saw and the right side could attach to the area between the table top and the wing (like Bob's) or to the right edge where a router table would go.

Which is better?

Thanks,

Comment

I was curious how many people have actually made an out feed table like Bobs' and how exactly they went about attaching the aluminum to the TS. I did not find that the 1" square aluminum piece interfered with the bevel handle, which was my preferred way to attach it right to the orange body of the saw.

Once I purchased the aluminum I realized it didn't sit square as it hit the motor. I'm curious how many people have actually drilled into the cast iron portion of the TS and how risky this is! I just got the saw and don't want to mess it up! The flat aluminum I got was around 1" inch in width, but I'm thinking I need 3" now!

I suppose the left side can attach to the body of the saw and the right side could attach to the area between the table top and the wing (like Bob's) or to the right edge where a router table would go.

Which is better?

Thanks,

Comment

I did. Well, not quite as nice as his. But what I found is it still sagged after a while. I wound up trashing it and building a nice table with storage underneath. It works tons better for me at least.
                          I can take a pic tomorrow if you want.

Comment

I don't know what might have sagged on yours but I had my saw with the
                            outfeed table I built for about 4 years with no problems. Did you have legs
                            on the fold up portion of the table?

Where did yours 'sag' as you put it?

Comment

At this point, I'll take all the ideas/pictures I can get as I thought I had a plan of attack for this, now I'm not so sure!!

Comment

as i mentioned to you over at lumberjocks, just follow bob's plan. it's bulletproof!
                                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                                X