No announcement yet.

What tool to buy next...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long were they and how much were they?
    Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Clamps are a good item for a standing present. I tell the wife and kids if you can't think of something to get me then get a clamp or two, and I give them a list of the makes, types, and sizes I would like to have.

This way your clamp inventory can slowly build painlessly, after your initial investment in the first 250 clamps of course.

Just kiddin on the 250 number, you can get by in the beginning with a lot less than that.

I'd be afraid to count up all the clamps I have at present, must be at least 40 or so, and I'll bet many here have twice that.

I would like to get a few 3/4" pipe clamps and some lengths of 3/4 pipe in various lengths. These can be expanded if your pipe is threaded on both ends, then you can use a coupling to join say a 36" and a 24" piece of pipe together to make a 60" clamp, or whatever length you need. And when you don't need all that length, you can take them apart and don't have to deal with the extra length getting in your way.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Pittsburgh quick release bar clamps at harbor freight. You will often find them on sale for half price. I have a few of them and they actually work pretty well. Of course at these prices you can't expect the quality of Jorgensen or Bessey. Also be aware that HF sells a lot of stuff that is downright JUNK. They do have a liberal return policy though.

www.harborfreight.com
        Last edited by Lorax; 01-06-2006, 04:30 PM.
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I got various sizes bar clamps from 6" to 36". I think they were on sale for about $2-$6. I can't remember for sure on the cost, but I definitely wish I had more of each size!!

go to harbor freight's site and do a search for clamps. It looks like most of them are at regular price now, but that place always runs sales.

Comment

Maxwell Smart voice on:

Beat you by thaaaat much!
            Lorax

Comment

I can't believe those prices

I can't believe those prices! $2.99 for an 18" and only $11.99 for a 36"
              Are they really usuable at those prices. Normally i wouldn't give something like that a second glance because i would figure it to be crap that wouldn't work when i tried it. But if you guys say these clamps work good then, hey i'll pick me up some.
              Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Yes they do work. If I were you, I would grab a few (or a bunch) of the 18" and wait for the other sizes to go on sale. Probably won't have to wait long. They aint crap, but they aint the greatest either.
                Lorax

Comment

I ordered two of them right after i posted that last message. I figured i'd check them out and see how i liked them. I was thinking the same thing, get the 18" while on sale and wait for the other to go on sale before ordering them. I like the gift idea Bob D. had. So if any of you guys would like to get me some for Valentines day, by all means please feel free.
                  Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Sure, stand by your mail box and i'll send a dozen of each.
                    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Hey guys, i would have wrote back earlier but i've been out at the mailbox all day...
                      Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

If you're looking for a mag to subscribe to I would suggest Shopnotes.
                        Lots of great tips, jigs, solutions. Why buy when you can enjoy building.
                        There are tons of FREE plans for jigs and shop benches, tool stands and tables, etc. Papadan has a bunch of links on his site if I remember correctly, and there are plenty of others. A Drill Press or Band Saw should be high on your list if you don't already have one or both of them. You can put a DP in service as a drum sander with an easy to build jig and a sanding drum. For less than $70 you can outfit your DP with a mortising attachment and a few chisels, if mortise and tenon joints are in your future.
                        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

ok depending on what you are building, I would go with either a bandsaw or drill press. If you have the money, I would see about decent floor models.
                          If not, well look around at what you can find for quality benchtop models. You can reasaw wood on a bandsaw to dimension wood, so if you don't have a planer, get one that has a decent depth capacity.
                          <a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/buctooth\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/buctooth</a><br />Please tell us how you like the site, even if you hate it. If you want, feel free to visit the forum.

Comment

Good mag

Actually, i did pick up a ShopNotes off the rack a week ago and just loved it! I do intend to subscribe to that one.
                            I did buy a drill press. The DP1350. And i love it. I hate changing belts for spindle speeds but for the bucks i'm not going to complain too loud.
                            Rockler has some pretty cool stuff for putting together your own router table so i am looking in that direction. But it's so tempting to just order the finish product and start cutting.
                            So that's where i am now... Between setting up a nice router table and a bandsaw. i'm leaning twords the RT.
                            What do you guys think?
                            Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Well, if you already have the router, then by all means get it set up to do some table work. While you're building your router table (if that's the route you take), make a table for that DP too, something more suited to woodworking, there are plans around for these too, but with your background I'll bet you could look at a photo on a website or in a catalog and have the thing planned out in your head in a few minutes. I'm not being a smart *** here, I'd bet any decent machinist with a few years under their belt could do the same.

Comment

DP Table

Yeah, i've seen some articles on DP tables and DP tables for drum sanding. My first reaction to using the DP as a drum sander was "Are the spindle bearings up to the side pressure?"
                                Well, are they? Has anyone developed any problems from using your DP this way?
                                I know, i'm just a worry-wort. But my DP is all new and shiny... I don't want to mess it up. {using best whiny voice}

Next question: What does everyone think about the Ridgid BS1400 bandsaw? Anybody got one? What's the skinny?
                                Last edited by nobunaga-sama; 01-09-2006, 09:03 PM.
                                Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Working...
                                X