Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you have a valid concern, but the designs I have looked at add a thrust bearing at the bottom (in the table) which should keep any lateral forces at a minimum on the DP bearings. This to me would be a temporary solution to tide your over until you figured what sander you wanted. The Ridgid Edge Belt Sander or a Belt/Disc model or something else.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nobunaga-sama
      Next question: What does everyone think about the Ridgid BS1400 bandsaw? Anybody got one? What's the skinny?
      Just got a BS14002. Upper wheel out-of-balance. Under warranty (3 yrs), a new one is on the way. You might get some replacement bearings and new tires while you're at it. Lose the v-belt and get a link belt; it cuts the vibration waaaay down. Get some cool blocks to replace the default guide blocks. So far, you've invested about $35 beyond the saw's price, but well worth it. For real sawing, get Timberwolf blade(s) from Suffolk Machinery. I just talked to them and they make blades configured specifically for this machine depending on what you want to do. A 3/4", 3 TPI, AS-S band is $22.35. IF you want to resaw material beyond 6", you'll need a riser block. I've heard the Grizzley one fits perfectly and is 1/2 the price. Probably a warranty issue here. Make sure the pulleys are aligned; this is not difficult to do.
      I hope to have some fun with mine. Good luck.
      Roy

Comment

Good info

Thanks Roy! I was looking at the 1400 down at my local HD. It looks like a desent saw. I was wondering if after market guides wouldn't help make the saw a bit more accurate.
        Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Well, the replacement wheel came and it was cracked. Probably a UPS fault. Another one is on the way. Just make sure you read all you can about tune-ups, tensioning, tires, tracking, testing for co-planarity, etc. The folks at the RIDGID telephone numbers aren't much help. A great bit of bandsawing info is at the Suffolk Machinery website.
          Good luck,
          Roy

Comment

It funny, i always took bandsawing for granted when i was in tool & die. I guess because it was always just a very rough steel removal tool that we really didn't care all that much about the ins and outs of the tool.
            Now that it's for wood and I'M the one going to fork over the money it's a bit different.
            Does this mean i have to "read" stuff and "study" up on bandsaws now? Ah shucks ma!
            Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Working...
            X