Flag Display Case plan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flag Display Case plan

Does anybody have a free flag display case plan or know where I might find one. I see that Rockler has a plan for $9. I searched the net but can't locate a free plan, there's gotta be one out there.

Or if you have made one yourself, maybe you could share with the forum any tips or tricks, case dimensions for a std 3x5 flag, etc.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

You will find a couple here. You will have to adjust the dimensions to fit your flag.

www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/index.php?cat=109

For some reason the link doesn't work so you will have to type all that crap yourself. Sorry about that.

Edit:
    It works after I posted it. Maybe it just doesn't work in preview mode.
    Last edited by Lorax; 01-05-2006, 03:04 PM.
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I got mine from the Wood Magazine website. I think it was $6 and used simpler angles that some. Just finished it in time for Christmas.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to both of you, that's what I was looking for.
        Now to see if I have enough walnut to make a couple, if not, then it will be some other wood.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Re: Flag Display Case plan

Guess I'll drag this old post back to life!!!
          I'm building two flag display cases, one for my Father's and one for my Brother's burial flags. I have all the parts cut out and the two sides glued up on both of them. I'm making the bottoms so they attached with pocket screws and can be removed in the future if need be.
          I was wondering if it's a tradition to leave the inside of the case unfinished, so the flag would be touching a natural surface?
          Did you guys leave the inside of your cases unfinished?
          Thanks!!!
          Michael

Comment

Thanks for digging up this post as I need to make one for the flag I got when my father died.

Comment

Hi there,

Not too sure if this will help or not, but I came across your post and thought that this website might be helpful to your post. They specialize in display cases of many makes and models. I am sure they can at least point you in the right direction.
              Last edited by chrisrich; 07-06-2009, 06:29 PM.
              quality crafted display cases

Comment

I cant access the plan for the flag case. Doing something wrong? or is there no plan?

Comment

http://www.dmwoodworkers.com/PDF_Gen...eInstrWUFA.pdf
                  Attached Files
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Stryker223 and Pez:

Sorry for your losses. It is nice to know they were honored with flags at internment.

To answer the question, finishing the inside is a good practice if you have the time. Use lacquer or shellac for a quick drying inside finish. It will help preserve the case.

Nothing requires the flag to rest on a natural surface, but if that has special meaning to them, their loved ones, or you, then feel free to do so. The purpose is to honor them and their memory, so keeping that in mind will guide you as to what is appropriate..

Go

PS: I realize this is late for the original postings, but added it for future viewers
                    Last edited by Gofor; 03-31-2011, 07:51 PM.
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                    X