No announcement yet.

Protect your investment

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protect your investment

Just bought a TS 3650 and decided to go about the assembly a little different, if you live down south like I do or even if you live up north this may be of interest to you:

There is a material available at Grainger for $7.81 (part # 6Y745) called LPS-3:, this is a high performance corrosion inhibitor, see manufacturers web site:

Application of this material at key points during the build process will protect your investment for at least 2 years between applications in extreme high humidity / condensation conditions. As I built my own machine I applied liberal coats (2), to the underside of the table, 1 coat also applied at leg connection points before securing and the table wings, before turning the table over all the bolts and screw heads were sprayed as well as the underside of the herculift mechanism & components, and the threaded parts of each fasteren were coated with moly nickle high performance grease to ensure any future dis-assembly will not be hampered by oxidised threads. After you turn the table, you will most likely have to recoat any area's that were fingered during the turnaround once the build is completed spray it also between the guide rails and table edge bofore bolting tight after the adjustments are complete. Wipe off the Ridgid corrosion inhibitor (medium density machine oil) from the table top and wings. Lower the blade and stuff a rag into the orange plastic insert to stop the blade being coated, do this next step before you install the blade guard assembly, take a can of WD-40 and spray the entire table top to saturated condition, leave it on there for about 4 hours, this will allow it to penetrate into the carbon atoms within and between the grains of iron, typical cast iron is very porous and this is why corrosion can affect it so badly. after the wait period remove all the remaining WD-40 from the table top with an absorbant cloth, then apply a good even but light coat of LPS-3 and leave this on for at least 2 hours. Then buff it off in circular motion to force it into the pores, remove it all and this will lock in the WD-40 and prevent it from evaporating over time. After leaving the new saw overnight before actually cutting with it, will allow the LPS 3 on the underside to skin to a point where dust will not adhere to it.

Use the usual wax to periodically lube the table top and fence guides before the first use and at least monthly thereafter. Re-do the table top with WD 40 & LPS-3 every 3 months thereafter, re-do the underside of the table every 2 - 5 years as a maintenance exercise and I can assure you rust / oxidisation will never be a concern. LPS-3 data sheets say 5 years, but in a workshop environment I see no reason to assume you will most likely get 5 years of corrosion protection. One other little maintenance tip, would be to apply an elastomeric (rubber) belt lubricant occasionally, to stop the belt stretching and cracking thereby extending its performance / life. Hope this info will inspire you to think again before you build yours and protect your investment for years to come.
    Last edited by DHead; 01-07-2006, 02:04 PM.