X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 3650 Owner

I bought and unpacked a new TS3650 this afternoon . . . its a heavy sucker! I've laid out all the parts in what seems like a logical order and gathered the recommended tools. After a lumberyard run, I plan on assembling it tomorrow.

I don't expect any help, so if anyone has some meaty suggestions to make process easier . . . hey, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Fairview, NC

Here's a little something I posted a few months ago. It might save you a little head scratching and forehead slapping.

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new 3650. It's a great saw.

Originally posted July '05

Assembly tips - Don't install the handwheels until after you stand it upright. The front rail takes 5 bolts, not 4 as per inst. That's why there are 9 bolts (5 front, 4 back). The nuts and bolts are a mix of standard and metric and will drive you nuts! Be real fussy about setting up the fence and rails, it's critical for safe and accurate cutting. Get help standing it upright, it's heavy (duh!). When you're all done you'll have 3 bolts left over. They are for attaching an aux fence if you need one. Apply a good coat of paste wax to the table, rails and fence (Johnsons, Butchers, etc.). Get a couple table saw books from the library for inst. on how to make inserts along with other jigs and fixtures and tuning inst. Good luck and have fun!

Almost forgot. The inst. for mounting the motor are a little screwy. Just adjust the motor in or out until there is tension on the belt thru the full range of blade heights
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I think we should start a thread titled "TS-3650 Assembly Tips" , and collect all the collective wisdom from everyone in that thread. Then when someone with a new TS comes along and they search the forum they will find that thread, or if they join and ask we can point them to that one source (and still be around to answer questions of course). With the new forum software, we can include links to the manual, the parts list and diagram, photos related to the arbor issue, etc. Also, since we can not include photos when someone adds a nice write-up with pics it won't be lost should they change ISPs or no longer wish to dedicate space somewhere else to host the photos.

I'm bringing this up in this thread because I think that we could offer new owners a more comprehensive discussion that may answer 99% of their questions. As we all seem to be giving shorter and shorter answers to the same questions over the past few months.

Now, after writing all that, here's two tips...

1. Don't over-tighten the bolts on the Herc-U-Lift, read the instruction, some of the bolts do not get tightened all the way, only till you get a full thread engagement.

2. Don't rush through the alignment procedure... you'll thank yourself later.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Check out "protect your investment" in ask the experts

Posted a new thread the other day which you may want to consider before you assemble your new TS, good luck and congratulations on a first class choice.

Comment

Don't try and set it on its feet by yourself, get some help.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax
            Get help standing it upright, it's heavy (duh!).
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Asheville, North Carolina

Ok . . . yep, its heavy . . . that's what neighbor kids are for, eh? But, as well-meaning as they are, I don't think I want them around during the actual assembly. Too much, "What's this? How does this work?" I'll save them until it's time to set it on its feet.

DHead spoke to a new thread that will be helpful. What is it? Thanks . . .

FWIW, my current project is rennovating a 30-year old contemporary home, complete with (trout) stream out back door, on the side of a mountain in Western North Carolina. All was going well until my old table saw pooped out on me for the last time.

Lastly, are any of the list members/3650 owners physically located in the Asheville area who might be willing to, in exchange for a cold beer or other valuable consideration, be willing to invest a few hours in helping me get this mutha up and functioning?

Stephen
              Fairview, NC

Comment

See Assembly Tips thread . . . I'm not a happy camper . . .

Comment

Have no fear! I just assembled mine

I highly recommend using the online manual THANKS DOGTOES!! (right click and choose Save as) http://www.ridgid.com/manuals/englis...0_6498_ENG.pdf. The illustrations are much better and the instructions are much more clear than the owners manual that came with my package. One tip I will offer is assembling the hercu-lift. DO NOT tighten the bolts on the hercu-lift that get attached to the leg brackets. They are supposed to be loose. Just tighten the nylon lock nuts till they are flush with the screw. If you follow the online manual your assembly should go real smooth

Comment

I am a new 3650 user and found out all the screwy things relating to assembly by applying common sense. The directions with the saw are apparently only designed as a guide. I was able to get it all together but probably want to go back and double check my setup to make sure all is square. One more suggestion though .... invest in a better blade that the one that comes with the saw.

Good Luck

Comment

One of these days I gotta sit down and read the manual for the 3650. I'm interested to see just what they changed from the manual that came with my 3612 that makes the 3650 so much harder to assemble than my 3612.

Of all of the tools and other things that I have assembled over the years, I would rank the manual for the 3612 right near the top as far as easy to read and understand is concerned. When I setup my saw it took me the better part of six hours to assemble but with the exception of getting the blade properly aligned I've yet to have to go back and adjust anything.

I guess my point is that I took my time and double read all the assembly instructions as I went along and the process, although a little lengthy, went very smoothly, even the Herc-u-Lift assembly.
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Rknowledge,

Which blade did you settle on?

Jerry
                        It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I just put my TS3650 together yesterday. Unfortunately I had to do it by myself and I do agree that you should have two people when you are ready to get it on its legs. It took a lot of effort to do it alone. I also had a bit of issue in regards to the belt tension. The manual is really not very good and my first attempt at a test cut had the belt come off.

The other item that I did not like is when you come to the directions for the lift kit. They all of a sudden stop mentioning the sizes of the bolts. I assembled the saw and then found that the second smaller pack of nuts and bolts was for the lift kit (hope that helps someone). After reading some of the posts regarding the belt I think I'll double-check mine.

Comment

Working...
                          X