Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TS-3650 Assembly Tips

Originally posted by bcbutler View Post
    Got my TS setup today!! only 4.5-5 hrs. Now that I have it setup, what do I need to do to the top before I start sawing?
    If you've got bare metal there now after cleaning all the packing grease off then you need to get it protected ASAP with at a minimum a couple coats of wax, but not automotive wax which has additives in it such as silicone which will haunt you later on. Then you'll have time to investigate which protectant you want to go with. Search the forums there are a number of threads on the topic with input from many of the members.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

• Re: I'm In

The Herc-U-lift is my Waterloo so far. Lowering the leveling feet to make sure the wheels are clear worked... until I engaged the wheels and the leveling feet didn't clear the floor making movement impossible.

I park my saw in my garage corner- I roll it out to stage center after I pull out the cars when its time to make the sawdust. This problem is getting into my head and am flashing back to that bad day in Shop Class in 8th grade when everyone started laughing - but I degress.

I have noticed that on my saw there is very little play when I step down to engage the wheels. The TS set up at HD moved half a foot it seemed. Perhaps this is my problem?

Comment

One thing to check is where it attaches in the corner of each leg the square tube goes under the bracket not on top.

Comment

ub1Chris-
          Any solution to the Herc Lift problem? I'm completely stumped..

Comment

make sure the points where the herc-u lift attaches to the brackets which are attached to the leg set are not tightened too much. the bolts that hold the lift to the leg set angle brackets are designed to fit loosely.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by JGB View Post
              Does anyone have any suggestions for mounting an auxiliary fence to the table fence?

This is what I came up with which has been very usefull. I like the taller fence and routed T-Slots in the face for added versatility.

Craig
              Last edited by CraigM56; 02-14-2008, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Nice idea on the quick mounting system using the toggle clamps. Fast on/off and no tools required.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hello Folks,

Thanks in advance for the assembly tips, which were all very helpful. I assembled my saw last night in about 4 1/2 hours. Time sure flies when you're having fun. I had a couple of thoughts to add....

Since I assembled by myself, I also waited until the saw was standing to bolt on the extension wings. I also left the main table section in the box where I bolted on the legs while it was supported by the foam packing. I then tipped the top & legs assembly over on its side onto a packing blanket and pulled away the box & foam. The tip here is to wait to screw on the miter gauge or fence hanger on the side that you'll be tipping onto. The weight was pretty managable for a 50 yr old guy with a bad back to raise it up onto its feet.

Assembling the Herculift wasn't too bad, after a little head scratching. It's a pretty slick yet simple system that works great. I did, however, make the mistake of screwing the feet down way too far into the bottoms of the legs. The instructions really don't explain that the Herculift only travels vertically about a quarter of an inch, so the feet really need to be extended to within a quarter of an inch of the fully extended travel of the Herculift wheels. Hopefully your shop floor is relatively smooth and level so that the feet don't "bottom" out on humps when you're rolling on the lift.

I took a bunch of pictures that I'll post soon because I wished while I was assembling that there were more detailed diagrams or photos that illustrated proper orientation of some of the small parts.

It's all good, though. I figured that it was just a "rite of passage" that makes you more familiar with your tool. (It's that "bonding" thing...)

I have a question for anybody...

Is there any way to manage the way the motor "jumps" when you hit the on switch? It shakes the whole table when it kicks on, and I wasn't sure if this was normal. I'm used to the "soft start" that my Bosch table saw had.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Cheers everyone! Just joined after reading all these posts for a few months and finally purchasing my 3650 a few days ago for a nice price.

Assembly has been fairly straightforward so far thanks to all of your great advise and warnings. I need to loosen my hurculift-to-leg bolts as suggested because right now the saw is always up on the wheels.

For what it's worth, the blade was pretty much dead straight to the mitre slot, and 90 degrees read 90 degrees on the scale. At full bevel stop, the blade was 45 degrees and I only needed to adjust the right side of the scale about 2 degrees to be dead on. Trunion bolts were tight as well. I am very impressed so far with how accurate this saw is out of the box.

While installing the fence rails tonight, I did notice something odd that I wanted to mention. Manuals say to attach 4 square head bolts for the front rail and 4 for the back. The fastener package has 9 bolts total and my iron tables have 5 holes in the front and 4 in the back. I only put 4 on the front, but it would seem to make sense that since they give you 9 bolts and there's 9 holes, you should fill all 9 holes with fasteners. Am I missing something here? Should I take the front rail off and install the 5th bolt? Probably irrelevant, but I might as well do it right the first time.

Thanks again for the great suggestions.

Comment

I bought my TW3650 last weekend and managed to get 90% of it assembled before I ran out of time so its been sitting in the basement, all ready to go except for the fence and motor. I'm going to try and finish it up this weekend, but I'm debating on the electrical options. I have a dedicated 20amp line for my workbench and am going to put in a plug just for the saw, but is it worth it to make the change on the motor to 240v? I've heard that it can give you a little more power and is a little easier on the motor, but I've also heard the opposite is true. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Comment

Bittermidget,

The instruction manual for the TS3660 (which in other threads appears to be a cosmetic update to the 3650) doesn't quantify the bolts for the rails. They have issued 9 bolts/nuts and the table has 9 holes... I filled them all when I assembled mine.

Just so you know you'll end up with an unopened blister of bolts and nuts (3 ea., I think) these are for installing an auxillary fence, but you won't see anything mentioned in the instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by DGreenwald View Post
                          I bought my TW3650 last weekend and managed to get 90% of it assembled before I ran out of time so its been sitting in the basement, all ready to go except for the fence and motor. I'm going to try and finish it up this weekend, but I'm debating on the electrical options. I have a dedicated 20amp line for my workbench and am going to put in a plug just for the saw, but is it worth it to make the change on the motor to 240v? I've heard that it can give you a little more power and is a little easier on the motor, but I've also heard the opposite is true. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
                          On a 20a circuit, there isn't any electrical advantage to changing to a 220v circuit, unless you need to free up capacity for other items, like shop vac, dust collection, electric heater, air compressor, etc, that you will be running or may cycle on at the same time that you are running the saw. Theoretically, there should not be any change in the saw's performance, but I have not had the opportunity to try it, so cannot say for sure. One possible drawback on the 220v. It pulls current off of both 120v legs coming into the breaker box. If one leg is overloaded with inductive loads (ie refrigerator compressor, window A/C, etc) and these things kick in and drop the voltage on that leg, it will cause an imbalance in the saw's motor. This will not do the motor any good. That's one reason for having a good qualified electrician install the 220v to ensure the loads are balanced between the legs in the box.

Go
                          Last edited by Gofor; 03-08-2008, 09:19 PM.
                          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Here are my two tips:

1) Use the nut & bolt designations for identification only. Keep your set of metric and US sockets and wrenches handy and regardless of what the instructions say, use the metric or US socket/wrench that fits the bolt/nut.

FWIW, 12mm seems to be the magic socket- fit most of the bolts, including the ones that the instructions said should only be screwed in with a 1/2 wrench.

2) Yes, the four corner bolts on the Herc-U-Lift are supposed to be that loose. Seemed odd to me at first too, and had to get confirmation on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by walkingman View Post
                              Hello Folks,

Is there any way to manage the way the motor "jumps" when you hit the on switch? It shakes the whole table when it kicks on, and I wasn't sure if this was normal. I'm used to the "soft start" that my Bosch table saw had.
                              I just finished assembling this saw tonight and so far I'm super impressed!! Can't wait to play with it this weekend.

I have the same question as above - is the motor "jump" normal or would higher belt tension fix this? Any ideas?

Comment

• TS-3660 Assembly Tips

Just finished assembling the TS-3660 and while it was pretty straightforward, I'm suprised and the mistakes that are still in the manual. In one case, I referred online to a better version. A couple of notes:

1) I knew I was in trouble from the start when the leg stand said to use 15 bolts and 15 nuts, clearly each side needs 4, making a total of 16.

2) I tightened the Herc-u-lift bolts too far, but they were still loose. In a previous version of the manual, I found it to say 'tighten the nuts until the bolt is flush with the nut'. Works great now.

3) In the blade guard alignment, the manual says to loosen the thumbscrew to adjust. It didn't make sense, since the thumbscrew seats in a 'v' shaped notch. They must've meant the hex screw to the side, and then the whole post slides to be adjusted. Then you can take the guard on/off with the thumbscrew.

4) Like others, I aligned the front rail to 7 1/8" and couldn't adjust the fence window's far enough. I moved it the 7 1/4-7 3/8 mark and was able to adjust the windows easily.

Now to build something!

Comment

Working...
                                X