Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TS-3650 Assembly Tips

This pertains to the TS3660.

Could someone tell me if the 8 screws (1/4 -20 x 1/2") that fasten the leg brackets for the Herc-U-Lift to the legs use washers or not? The nuts are self locking, but in the list of material for the screws, the manual says "8 screws (1/4-20 x 1/2 in. with washer). I found no such animal, except the same without washers. Diagrams in manual do not show a washer, and want to be sure I do not start using wrong fasteners.

Also, I will probably have to turn this thing over myself, so will install the wings after right side up. But, should the Herc-U-Lift be installed before or after turning the saw right side up? Is the leg assembly sufficiently strong to lay the saw on its side, and then lift it up while it rests and pivots on two leg feet?

Thanks.

- Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Phil3 View Post
      This pertains to the TS3660.

Could someone tell me if the 8 screws (1/4 -20 x 1/2") that fasten the leg brackets for the Herc-U-Lift to the legs use washers or not? The nuts are self locking, but in the list of material for the screws, the manual says "8 screws (1/4-20 x 1/2 in. with washer). I found no such animal, except the same without washers. Diagrams in manual do not show a washer, and want to be sure I do not start using wrong fasteners.

Also, I will probably have to turn this thing over myself, so will install the wings after right side up. But, should the Herc-U-Lift be installed before or after turning the saw right side up? Is the leg assembly sufficiently strong to lay the saw on its side, and then lift it up while it rests and pivots on two leg feet?

Thanks.

- Phil
      Phil,
      If I remember correctly, those are the screws you want (they kind of have built in washers ). And by the way just tighten them enough for the screw head to just show past the nut.
      I also lifted it by myself. I found it easier to install the herc-u-lift prior to uprighting it, easier access. The legs held just fine. Just be sure to let it down slowly.

Opa

Comment

Originally posted by OpaDC View Post
        Phil,
        If I remember correctly, those are the screws you want (they kind of have built in washers ). And by the way just tighten them enough for the screw head to just show past the nut.
        I also lifted it by myself. I found it easier to install the herc-u-lift prior to uprighting it, easier access. The legs held just fine. Just be sure to let it down slowly.

Opa
        Opa, thanks for your reply. Not sure we are talking about the same screws though. I am referring to the screws that hold the small brackets to the inside of the legs. The brackets themselves are for attachment of the Herc-U-Lift. The screws I am referring to go through the orange legs to hold the small brackets. There are two screws per leg. My question is if these have washers, that go under the screw head against the outside of the leg?

Did you have the wings attached when you turned the unit upright? Thanks for your answers.

- Phil

Comment

I've had mine for a little over two years, but I doubt anything changed. Mine does not have washers under the herculift leg bracket screws (and looking at them just now, I realized the lock nut probably wouldn't grab if they had washers as short as they are). I had no washers left over after assy, either.

I put the table extensions on after setting it upright. I installed the Herculift first, as you have, and then just stood it up. I do not remember if I went from back to front, front to back, or from one side (too long ago, sorry). I installed the wings by sticking a saw horse close to the edge and shimmed them up with some wood scrap until I got them close. (I have a couple of those adjustable, metal sawhorses, so I was starting out at about 34" high.) I then started all the bolts loosely before tightening.

Looking back, an easier way would have been to take a couple four ft 2 x 4s and clamp them running across the table about 10" in from the front and back. For the first wing, clamp the end of the 2x to the opposite side of the table. That way you can use a C-clamp or quick-clamp to loosely clamp the wing to the 2x through the slot in the wing to hold it in place while starting the bolts. After you get the bolts started and hand snug, tighten the clamps to align the top of the wing to the table's top and finish tightening the bolts.

Hope this helps

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Phil3 View Post
            Opa, thanks for your reply. Not sure we are talking about the same screws though. I am referring to the screws that hold the small brackets to the inside of the legs. The brackets themselves are for attachment of the Herc-U-Lift. The screws I am referring to go through the orange legs to hold the small brackets. There are two screws per leg. My question is if these have washers, that go under the screw head against the outside of the leg?

Did you have the wings attached when you turned the unit upright? Thanks for your answers.

- Phil
            Oops, wrong screws. No I have no washers on the screws you talk about, no problems with it though. (and that's enough no's for one sentence) Like Gofor said, I don't think washers would even fit.

I also put the extensions on after saw was upright. In my case I didn't hace clamps strong enough to hold so I set them on top of 4x4s on top of a table I had that got me close enough to install.

Now hurry up and get that thing together so you can make some sawdust.
            Last edited by OpaDC; 04-06-2008, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Hi All
              Great thread, I have been lurking and reading for a couple of months after seeing the 3650 in HD. Went and got it last Sunday and started to assemble through the week after work. Last night put the wings on and though they are flush on the front edges both wings stick out about .005 to .01 on the back edge, will this cause any bother when I go to put the back rail on?

Thanks Forrey.

Comment

Short answer is: No. They include some small shim washers to use as needed. However, if its only .005 to .010, you can shim it with a piece of aluminum beer can (approx .007) if the supplied washers are too thick and you feel it is needed. Mine was out enough I could catch my fingernail on it, (didn't measure it) but it posed no problems just putting the rail straight to it. It has worked fine for over two years now, so I doubt you will need anything.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Duhhh

Thanks Gofor, I got to that bit in the manual, and do I feel stupid, where I work we make ...................... SHIMS. I'll just sneak back to the basement now.
                  Forrey.

Comment

• Re: TS-3660 Assembly Tips

I really appreciate this forum. I recently purchased a 3660 and I am in the middle of assembly. Got the CI wings on and matched up the edges. Checked the 'flatness' of the table with my 4' level and it dips noticably in the middle. The left wing looks to be the problem. I got out a dial caliper and the dip measures about .024 at the seam (although it looks more like 1/16th when I eyeball it).

I'm hesitant to accept this as 'within tolerances'. Safety being one of my concerns. As I see it I have 2 options:
                    1) Dissasemble what I've done so far and take it back for an exchange at HD.

2) Grind down the bottom of the mating side of the CI wing to see if it will fit better.

I would appreciate some advice as I am not looking forward to either of these options.

Comment

Hi dworden.
                      Finished my assembly yesterday and cutting OK. after I had got my wings on and not locked the two middle bolts there was a small dip in the middle of both wings, I used c-clamps to pull them level with the main table then locked the bolts. I do not think it was .02 + thou though.
                      I did have a part that was smashed in the box so I took it along with the bill back to HD and they just opened up another box and gave me the replacement so I would not have to deal with it. This may work??.
                      good luck.

forrey.

Comment

Three words on my assembly experience: drunk and naked

That being said, I assembled the saw twice, as I returned the first one due to dished extensions.
                        Having tried both methods, I found it easier to put the wings on when it was upside-down.
                        Last edited by squatting bear; 05-14-2008, 05:50 AM.

Comment

When doing the initial de-greasing and waxing on a new saw, do I degrease and wax (rustproof) the miter slots, too?

Comment

Squatting Bear, you want to keep the mitre slots from rusting, too. Although they won't touch wood so degreasing them isn't as important, it depends on how much is on there and if the grease will get into the wood you're cutting. I have waxed mine now, and they're fine, but I didn't clean them the first time out.
                            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I have got the Herculift thing on the machine, but the entire lift is really wobbly because the lock nuts are only just hand tightened. Are you saying that the nuts are only supposed to be tightened enough to get the bolt flush with the back side of the nut?

Comment

I am in the middle of the assembly of my new TS-3660. I have the wings on and the lift assembly is loosely put together and attached to the legs. I have only hand-tightened the lock nuts, which means that life is REALLY loose. I think I read somewhere that these lock nuts only need to be tightened until the bolt just comes out the back side of the nut. Is that correct? If so, this thing will be pretty loose all the time. I just don't want to screw up.
                                Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                                X