This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TS-3650 Assembly Tips

Hi guy's, HELLO from a new Ridgid TS3660 owner and as a new member of this forum i would like to say thank's for all your incredible tips !

Have a question for you, i am wondering if it is good habit to install a blade dampener on the blade that come with the saw ? Although the saw cut very well and everything seem to work OK. I am running after trouble for nothing ?

If the answer is yes, what do you recommend as dampeners ?

Thank's !
    For me,the odour of fresh cut wood is the perfume of life !

Comment

Can't add more tips to my first post which started this thread as it
      is at the allowable character limit so I'll add this link to a thread about
      dust buildup under the table and its affect on setting blade angles.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22837
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Ts3660 View Post
        Hi guy's, HELLO from a new Ridgid TS3660 owner and as a new member of this forum i would like to say thank's for all your incredible tips !

Have a question for you, i am wondering if it is good habit to install a blade dampener on the blade that come with the saw ? Although the saw cut very well and everything seem to work OK. I am running after trouble for nothing ?

If the answer is yes, what do you recommend as dampeners ?

Thank's !
        Have never needed a blade dampener. All it does is marginally support the blade for a bit more than your shoulder washer, and definitely limits your depth of cut. I would spend that money on a better quality blade. If doing a 2 1/2"+ depth of cut, I use a full kerf blade (Freud). If less, I have not had problems with full or thin kerf. I use a full kerf 50T Freud for most work, and 60T (both thin and full) for a fine surface (i.e. glue up). I have had very good luck with Freud and Delta blades. Have not tried the more expensive ones, as I have not needed to.

Go
        Last edited by Gofor; 01-23-2009, 07:46 PM.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

• Re: TS-3650 Assembly Tips( Blade dampener)

Thank's GOFOR for your answer, i wonder were on this forum i found something talking about a blade dampener and i thought it was a good part to add to the blade !
          I am glad it is not necessary because i noticed that if i install this part on my blade, the measure for the Ripping fence are no good anymore because the end of the blade's teeth are displaced to the right due to the dampener's plate more than it was from the original set-up!

So like many says, if it's work well like it is don't chance anything !
          For me,the odour of fresh cut wood is the perfume of life !

Comment

I finished assembling the saw today and encountered two problems: (1) I seem to be missing the end plates for the front and rear rails; (2) when cutting a test piece of wood, I found that the supplied saw blade's kerf is narrower than the splitter, so after the material comes out of the blade, it jams on the splitter, even though the alignment is perfect. I confirmed this by lowering the blade out of the way and just trying to push the partially cut piece through the splitter. It jams after about half an inch. The only solutions I can think of are to get a new guard/splitter, or to buy a new blade with a wider kerf, both of which involve more money.

Comment

For the middle two bolts that fasten each cast iron wing, I had to tap mine in to the slot with a hammer. I tapped lightly only 4 or 5 times. Otherwise they would not thread in the the holes

Comment

I just wanted to thank everyone that's posted with suggestions here. I just purchased a 3660 from HD. Put it together in about 5 hours total...about 45 minutes spent adjusting. Reading these forums gave me many time and effort saving tips.

Comment

• Belt tension******Re: TS-3650 Assembly Tips

New owner of 3660 - ALL together - only one real issue

I need help with understanding the belt tension on the saw. I've read over the instructions - but I guessed my brain is froze on this part.

I've got the motor pushed 'all the way in'. I'm not clear on what grasping the belt in the middle does.

Do I just pull the motor 'back out' from 'all the way in' until the belt is tight?
                  Does the belt tighten or loosen if you adjust the blade up/down angle?

Also just another question - I've only had a CHEAP table saw in the past. Which means the blade guard was gone long ago. I'm not too interested in using this one. Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance

Comment

blade guards and splitters are a real waste of time and energy. who needs ten fingers anyway...you anly need one finger to point to where the table saw blade injured you! i learned the hard way, with a few stitches, that the guard and splitter are not to be ignored.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Re: Belt tension******Re: TS-3650 Assembly Tips

Originally posted by jhkh79 View Post
                      New owner of 3660 - ALL together - only one real issue

I need help with understanding the belt tension on the saw. I've read over the instructions - but I guessed my brain is froze on this part.

I've got the motor pushed 'all the way in'. I'm not clear on what grasping the belt in the middle does.

Do I just pull the motor 'back out' from 'all the way in' until the belt is tight?
                      Does the belt tighten or loosen if you adjust the blade up/down angle?

Also just another question - I've only had a CHEAP table saw in the past. Which means the blade guard was gone long ago. I'm not too interested in using this one. Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance
                      To properly tension the belt:

1st: Raise the blade all the way up to its highest position

2nd,: Pull the motor out until the motor rotates almost all the way up, compressing the spring on the motor mount plate until it is 1/4" from hitting the screw heads. Tighten bolts on the motor mount shafts. (If doing it by yourself, a speed clamp holding the motor up to almost compress the spring may make it easier to keep in place while snugging down the bolts. The 2 shafts on the mount assy should still extend through both sets of holes in the casting. Mine stick out about 1/2"+ beyond the last set of holes)

3rd: When you squeeze the belt, the motor should move almost the remaining 1/4".

With the blade all the way up, there should be just enough left in the spring on the plate to allow it to move some. The spring is providing almost all the tension. Spring compression 95%, motor weight 5%).

With the blade all the way down, the weight of the motor is providing almost all the tension, and the spring on the mount plate is almost fully extended, but not fully all the way. (Motor weight 95%, spring compression 5%)

The balance between the motor weight and the spring compression is what keeps a constant tension on the belt no matter what height the blade height is set. The rod that extends through the curved slot should not be all the way to the end of the slot at either extreme - blade up or blade down.

Hope this helps

Go
                      Last edited by Gofor; 02-04-2009, 06:06 PM.
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

• Re: Belt tension******Re: TS-3650 Assembly Tips

/\This is the Only part I had an issue with...So far.

Oh and hey, New to the Forum and to this saw,
                        Bought it at HD on sale(closeout)for $399
                        my last saw was a 10", 3.0 amp, aluminum top, Craftsman...(It was a good starter saw For me)
                        this New Rigid Ts3650 is a much better saw though...

First thing I am going to do is make my ZCI out of some MDF.
                        But I need guidance on the next steps
                        ~ figure out how to make my router insert...
                        ~ Make an out feed extender(hinged most likely: Saw a photo of one on here somwhere?)
                        ~ Look Into another fence & Rail/ mod this one some...
                        ~ Making some accessories
                        ~ any Other Ideas welcome too...

Is there a thread that has DIY add Ons/Mods/Accessories/Etc. for this saw...?

thanks a ton for all the useful info and please keep it coming
                        Chris

PS: I was told that I could get a 46" cut with my existing fence Just by moving it...
                        Last edited by yousuredo; 02-05-2009, 04:46 PM.

Comment

But I need guidance on the next steps
                          Is there a thread that has DIY add Ons/Mods/Accessories/Etc. for this saw...?

You need to get aquainted with the search feature on here.

Name:  cb68be5ad523d71963ffd29f3c15bf3c.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  31.9 KB

There is more information on this site about the 3650 and 3660 than anywhere else on the 'net. If it ain't here you don't need to know it.

Comment

I am searching
                            What I was asking was:
                            If there was "A" thread with links for all mods, etc.(combined in one central location)
                            But I have found several good threads with lots of info

Comment

• Re: TS-3650 Assembly Tips( Blade dampener)

Originally posted by Ts3660 View Post
                              Thank's GOFOR for your answer, i wonder were on this forum i found something talking about a blade dampener and i thought it was a good part to add to the blade !

I am glad it is not necessary because i noticed that if i install this part on my blade, the measure for the Ripping fence are no good anymore because the end of the blade's teeth are displaced to the right due to the dampener's plate more than it was from the original set-up!

So like many says, if it's work well like it is don't chance anything !
                              I believe that normally you replace the outer washer with the dampener and leave the blade in contact with the arbor flange. At least that is how I installed it one on the rare occasion that I have used one. Never noticed enough improvement to warrant keeping it so I do not use one. If you saw is setup right and you use a good quality blade and do not over tighten the arbor nut (which can distort the blade and cause an imbalance) you should be OK.

Comment

Can any one tell me what is in what blister pack. I explained that I was missing the end caps for the rails and I needed that pack??? They sent me the wrong pack. Is there any way of knowing which blister pack is missing????? Very upset waiting now 11 days to put my saw together . Wayne

Comment

Working...
                                X