X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS-3650 Dust Control

The June 2009 issue of Fine Woodworking has a good article about controlling dust on contractor style table saws like the 3650 & 3660.

With a few minor changes my outfeed table design can be adapted to help control dust and still provide outfeed support. The FWW design incorporates a couple of the ideas I used on my TS to control dust, but they were not my original design, I put mine together from bits and pieces of other peoples solutions.

At any rate check your library or pick up a copy of the June 09 issue. The article also includes tips on improving dust collection on hybrid and cabinet style saws too.

You need to think through the whole design to apply it to the 3650/3660 saws, as the authors TS is a Delta with RH tilt, and the RIDGID is a left tilt saw. Also the motor mount on the RIDGID differs from the Delta so you need to adapt that too.

I may modify my outfeed table to include these improvements. If I do I will add some photos.

6/30/09 and here they are:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5a3bf0f161c06f22e38722fe8357d2b4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	7426

Name:	b2bed2b98d9b78e7ac219c6b92392d07.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	7427

Name:	6c58aedd0c823dc13c2144a97ca73d3e.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	7428

Name:	dcb3df7eb816065b4bb85b988360a988.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	7429

You need to leave enough flex in the hose for when the blade is tilted over to 45 deg. With the 4" DC hose plugged into the saw, it draws from both the 2.5" hose which connects directly to the blade shroud and the 4" which draws out of the cabinet which I have closed in pretty much. I plan to make some type of flexible cloth cover for the back of the saw that will move with the motor as it tilts but still reduce suction loss out the back of the cabinet.

8/04/09 Update: Having used this setup for a couple months now it is still working well and I get much less sawdust on the floor or table top.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-04-2009, 11:03 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

• Re: TS-3650 Assembly Tips

Just finished putting together my new TS3660. After a couple of quick reads through this thread and carefully following the instructions in the supplied manual I had no major issues. At the suggestion of others on the forum I elected to assemble the lift system while the saw was still upside down and then right it and install the extension wings with the use of some 2x4's and C clamps. Worked a champ! The only very minor issue I had was putting the middle bolts in the extension wings. It was very difficult to get the threads started because the head of the bolts hang up on the casting. I had run through this thread too quickly and missed the post about putting the bolts in before butting up the table. This likely would have helped.

One last thing. If you follow the above steps, rather than the manual, you may want to hold off putting the bevel crank handle on until after the wings are mounted.

My saw seemed to come out of the box very well set up. Using my carpenters square the parallelism seemed to only be off by about 0.001-0.002" Doesn't seem like enough to mess with the trunnions at this point. I might tweak it later on when I've got a lazy afternoon.

Now to wax up that shiny new table!

Thanks to all.

BigM555

Comment

BigM555,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new Table Saw. there are plenty of people here who can answer questions you might have about the 3650/3660 series TS, so if you've got Qs, we've got answers.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        ---------
        ---------

Comment

Originally posted by BigM555 View Post
          ...My saw seemed to come out of the box very well set up. Using my carpenters square the parallelism seemed to only be off by about 0.001-0.002" Doesn't seem like enough to mess with the trunnions at this point. I might tweak it later on when I've got a lazy afternoon.

Now to wax up that shiny new table!

Thanks to all.

BigM555

Big - It'd be pretty easy to end up with it out by more than 0.001 to 0.002.....your wood will move more than that from day to day. Don't adjust it, but do invest in a good quality blade (or two).

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
            Big - It'd be pretty easy to end up with it out by more than 0.001 to 0.002.....your wood will move more than that from day to day. Don't adjust it, but do invest in a good quality blade (or two).
            Yep, pretty much my thoughts too. It might be out a bit more than that but until I throw a new blade on it I didn't think it was worth the effort right now. I've got a brand new Freud waiting in the wings.

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            There are plenty of people here who can answer questions you might have about the 3650/3660 series TS, so if you've got Qs, we've got answers.
            Thanks Bob, gotta love having a place to turn. The reviews and comments on this forum where a big factor in my decision to go with the TS3660. I almost purchased the clone that BusyBee had on sale a few months back. When I realized the Ridgid was the same saw, WITH the lift system and the LSA the choice was clear.

One thing I could ask, I've noticed that the height adjustment crank seems to be unaffected by the lock knob. While setting up the saw I may have cranked up the blade without loosening the lock knob. Might I have damaged the tube? There doesn't seem to be a difference in effort with the knob tightened or not. Is this normal?

Comment

If you are talking about the wing-nut in the center of the height handle, no, it is not normal. If you are talking about the lever knob under the table top, that is for the bevel adjustment, and it is wise to ensure you loosen it before adjusting the bevel, because it can cause damage to the trunnion.

If the wing-nut is not locking the height adjustment, ensure the tube is in place over the lock screw (it slides over the long lock screw before the handle crank is installed). If you have worn the sleeve down where the wing-nut is bottoming out before locking, adding a washer over the screw behind the round handle crank should take up the wear slack.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks Gofor I will check out the sleeve and make a mental note about the bevel lock.

Comment

Bought a TS3660 yesterday at the TTI factory sale. Thanks to the info about assembly in this forum it went together well. Glad I got one before they are gone. Nice to learn from others.

Comment

Originally posted by cutworm View Post
                    Bought a TS3660 yesterday at the TTI factory sale. Thanks to the info about assembly in this forum it went together well. Glad I got one before they are gone. Nice to learn from others.
                    good luck and I hope i can do it, Thanks.
                    "Welcome In My World and Smile"
                    Visit my site :
                    http://bit.ly/jlBXw3
                    http://bit.ly/lxdwbO
                    THE BEST FOR YOU CLICK HERE !

Comment

I found this table saw which appears to be cut from the same cloth as the TS-3650.
                      If you wanted a 3650/3660 and nothing else will do it might be worth considering.

It's sold by Craftex. Never heard of them around these parts but that doesn't mean anything.

Buy 10" Table Saw - 10 Portable Table Saw - 10 Table Saw - Craftex CT146 at Busy Bee Tools
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Working...
                      X