This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acknowledging answers

Thanks for all the good answers. I'm away this weekend, so no work in the shop. But the last response was where my head was going. To get the barely eighth inch clearance, I moved the front trunnion all the way to one side. I'm thinking that I'll try to center the front trunnion and give myself some leeway on both sides at the rear. I'll run up against the clearance for bevel cuts (thanks for the insight into why the clearance instruction), but I'll find a happy medium.

I finished the assembly last night and found that the blade isn't aligned right anyway. A fence cut cuts twice, once with the front teeth, and again when the piece goes past the back teeth. It could be the blade alignment, or the fence alignment or a little of both. I intend to go back and do both when I have time and it's not the end of a workday when these old eyes are tired. Still, it was a wonderfully smooth cut. I'm very pleased.

What a great forum!! Thanks.

Dave

Comment

Can't align blade to miter slot

Well, I spent some time this past week, and this weekend, trying to align the blade to the miter slot of my new saw. I followed the instructions implicitly. I could not align the blade. Then I tried improvisation. I even descended to hitting the front trunnion and back trunnion with a plastic mallet to try to move them to a position where the blade is aligned with the miter slot. The best I could do was (from the front) the rear of the blade 10 or 12 thousandths (depending on which tooth I used) to the right of the front. This meant that any piece I cut was cut twice -- once by the teeth at the front of the blade and once by the teeth at the back. (The rip fence was easy. I adjusted that to be about 3 thousandths out at the back).

I'm looking for any suggestions. I hope the answer is not take it back, since it took me hours to assemble it and hours spent trying to align it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave

Comment

Blow the dust off the interior of the saw cabinet so you can see and look for some obstruction that is preventing you from adjusting to within spec.

Q: Are you loosening the trunion bolts enough? I would think one full turn would be enough. Be careful that you don't turn them all too far and the whole assembly comes down.

Have called Tech Support to see what they say (besides take it to your nearest service center).

Maybe you will just have to remove the belt and blade and take the whole thing off the saw to inspect it and the underside of the table for some type of damage or flaw. If you do then take some digital photos which may help us (and Ridigd Tech Support) better understand the problem.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Here's a tip...

Assemble it on top of some 8 foot long 2x4s. When it's time to turn it over you can do it by yourself cause you have the leverage. I got my wife to stand on the other side to make sure I didnt knock it over when it got straight up. Didn't really need her there.

Comment

I finished assemblying my saw - it took 6 1/2 hours with some lifting help from my son. The only problem I experienced was a leg bolt breaking when I tightened it down too much. The fence was 1/8 inch off when compared to the fence guide/scale - not a big deal as adjustment is easy.

I felt lucky after reading some of the problems others have had and believe that Ridgid apparently has been addressing them. This has been a great forum and I appreciate everyone who has shared their experiences.

DWC

Comment

Originally posted by georgeburns
              Here's a tip...

Assemble it on top of some 8 foot long 2x4s. When it's time to turn it over you can do it by yourself cause you have the leverage. I got my wife to stand on the other side to make sure I didnt knock it over when it got straight up. Didn't really need her there.
              I did the same and also added extra blocks at the back edge of the table, to hold it high enought off the ground to give clearance to the mounts sticking out the back. I lifted mine alone, but the type work I do its common, get help or have someone stand by. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dwcurry
                I finished assemblying my saw - it took 6 1/2 hours with some lifting help from my son.
                That's probably about how long it took to put mine together with no help except for my wife doing the flip-over. I think they need to move the "install handwheel" instructions to after the "flip the saw over" and probably should have you put on the Herc-u-lift before the flip as well. Once you put the upper assembly together, there's no way to get it under the saw, I had to remove one of the side pieces, put it under the saw and then reassemble.

I felt lucky after reading some of the problems others have had and believe that Ridgid apparently has been addressing them. This has been a great forum and I appreciate everyone who has shared their experiences.
                Amazingly enough, I had no problems whatsoever, except for the above. Everything fit together perfectly or had common sense solutions that only took a second. I think I used 2 shims on the spacer bar and that was it, and I was prepared to have to make tons of adjustments.

One thing they should probably put in the manual is when you're putting on the rear fence guide bar, make sure that it's pushed down all the way before tightening the bolts. If you don't, the miter gauge will hit it.

Comment

I waited until afterwords to install the extensions, and the handles. You are correct, it is easier, and without the extensions on it, I was able to stand it up by myself with no problem I put an adjustable heighth saw horse next to it to support the extension while I got the bolts in. I installed the lift after setting it upright, but before I put the extensions on, which probably saved me some of my scalp!
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

New TS-3650 Owner

Hi all !!! This is a great forum! Glad I found it. And just in time. I just purchased my 3650 Sat. Got it fully assembled Tuesday am. I didn't work on it Sat. and Sun. I had to use my tractor with the front end loader to get it off the pick-up. (Just had back surgery). The assembly went pretty well ! IMO! The Herc-U-Lift had me scratching my head, but we figured it out ( me and the dogs).
                    The question I have is! Does anyone have an answer on how to protect the cast iron table? I know it's just a question of time before rust appears.
                    Everyone thinks there problems are more important than yours!

Comment

Welcome to the forum, not trying to put you off but there are many good threads on this issue available but using the search tool with the phrase cast iron rust.
                      If you have some paste wax (not car wax with silicone) put it on now then go read, rust happens fast especially where your finger prints from assembly are. Even some WD40 until you find a better solution
                      Last edited by wbrooks; 10-04-2006, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Our local Lowe's carries Johnson Paste Wax which works quite well but it does take some "elbow grease" to buff it off.

Comment

Hi: This is my first post here. I just finished the assembly of my saw and have used it for a few days. In a word it’s “FANTASTIC”. I don’t know why a waited so long before I bought it.

One issue I have is the removal of the blade that came with the saw. I’m a big guy over 6’ and 200 lbs and in fairly good shape. For the life of me I couldn’t turn the nut to get it off. I think an air gun was used to install it; otherwise the tools used were very long and a lot of tork was applied. The problem was the blade was distorted when I checked the blade angle. I finally got it off and reinstalled it, the blade returned to square. I also checked it with a new blade I had purchased with the saw, and it too is ok.

All and all it’s a great saw and I’m looking forward to producing tons of sawdust in the future

Comment

So, after reading this and other threads on this forum, I should probably take the Bosch 4000-09 (still in the box) back to Lowe's and head on down to HomeDepot for this saw?

Comment

IMHO, yes.
                              Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I got mine Monday, hardest part to figure out was the Herc-u-lift.
                                Did not have to adjust anything. Just hope the steel wont rust in FL. I did put 2 coats of wax on it.
                                Used it a little, veryyyyyy niiiice and smoooooth.

Comment

Working...
                                X