X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS-3650 Assembly Tips

OK all you TS-3650 owners, this is the place to add your tips on assembly, maintenance, and enhancements
    for the RIDGID TS-3650. For those who have the 3660, most of what is here will apply to the TS-3660 too.

If you just got your new tablesaw and are putting it together, I suggest you read though this thread, it may
    save you asking questions later or save you some grief during assembly.

Lets keep on topic and include photos where they may help new owners or those with questions or problems
    understand issues being discussed. I also want to say up front in this thread that the advice offered here is not
    official information from RIDGID, it is seat-of-the-pants, real life knowledge gained by fellow TS-3650 owners and
    other knowledgeable woodworkers. So nothing suggested in this thread should be taken to be officially from RIDGID
    unless so labeled. No one is perfect (hey, just look at the manual ), and no one means to cause you or your new
    saw any harm , but if you follow the advice given anywhere in this thread and something goes wrong, its on you.
    I make an effort to verify information I provide, you should do the same with information/advice you receive.

Some questions which seem to be more frequently asked during or immediately after assembly:

Q1. What are those three extra bolts and nuts for? Did I miss something during assembly?
    Answer: No, the three bolts and nuts are supplied for mounting an axillary fence on the table saw fence.
    Keep them in a safe place until needed. You may also have a few extra brass shim washers when you are done, save them too.

Q2. I've put it all together by the book but when I went to turn the saw on it won't run, what's wrong?
    Answer: First; Did you insert the yellow safety key in the switch?
    The switch can not operate the saw without the key. This is a safety device to stop unauthorized operation
    of the saw and possible injury. If you have children around your home or shop, you should use the key as intended
    and remove it along with unplugging the saw from the AC Power outlet or otherwise removing power to prevent a
    tragic accident. It only takes a minute to make the saw safe, it takes forever to learn to do normal everyday tasks
    with one or two less fingers.

If that does not solve the problem, its time to start tracing back toward your power source to find out where/why
    you are not getting power. If you have verified power available all the way up to the outlet where the saw is plugged
    in, check the overload reset switch (red button) on the TS motor. It shouldn't be tripped but ya never know. I hesitate
    to suggest any further troubleshooting knowing that most people are not comfortable with diagnosing electrical circuits
    and having no idea of your skill level in this area. It would be best to contact RIDGID Customer Service by phone for
    help at this point, because its possible you have a fault somewhere that will be covered by warranty, and if you attempt
    to troubleshoot or repair it you will most likely void your warranty.

These are the Safety Keys |(Part No. AC1000)

Q3: Where can I get a Zero Clearance Insert?
    Answer: ZCIs are available from RIDGID, but they are not cheap. See this thread for alternatives.
    http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334

Your first acronym - RTFM = Read The Fine Manual. Even if you think it is not so fine, there's a good bet that after
    you read through it once or twice you will be better acquainted with assembly of your saw, and have fewer problems
    when you assemble yours. Some members say the online PDF manual is better than the one that shipped with their saw,
    I thought mine was the same, but it might not hurt to look over the copy currently available on the web site (see links below).

Here's some tips for assembly, I thought someone else had posted these when this thread first started but they appear to
    be gone now so here they are again;

Leave the handwheels off until AFTER you upright the saw. For some reason the manual wants you to put them on while
    the saw is still upside down. It might make it easier to affix the handwheels but you'll surely bend them if you flip the saw
    over as described in the manual.

You'll need a mix of metric and imperial wrenches and sockets. It's weird but some bolts/nuts are metric and some are
    imperial, even the manual gets confused about what is where

Some members have left the cast iron wings off until after uprighting the saw. This will reduce significantly the weight of
    the saw and may allow you to upright it by yourself but don't risk getting hurt or damaging that new tablesaw Get some
    help lifting if you need to, keep your back straight and bend and lift with your legs (this sucker is HEAVY... almost 300 Lbs
    when fully assembled), not your back (you know the drill).

You can see my TS-3650 here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~sparc/woodworking.htm

Here's some links to the online TS-3650 Manual and the parts list with exploded assembly diagram.

TS-3650 Web Page http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/TS3650-Table-Saw/

All Table Saw Manuals http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Table-Saw-Manual/index.htm

(TS2400LS Owners Manual) - TS2400LS_266_eng.pdf
    (TS2400LS Parts Manual) - TS2400LS_266_r.pdf

(TS2412 Owners Manual) - TS2412_Table_Saw_Man.pdf

(TS2424 Owners Manual) - TS2424_Table_Saw_Man.pdf

(TS 3612 Owners Manual) - TS3612_Table_Saw_Man.pdf

(TS3650 Owners Manual) - TS3650_402_eng.pdf
    (TS3650 Parts Manual) - TS3650_402_r.pdf

Ridgidparts: All woodworking machinery manuals webpage: http://www.ridgidparts.com/wood/

Here is a link to the TS3650 parts sheet/exploded assembly diagram in PDF format;
    http://home.comcast.net/~sparc/woodw..._Sheet_eng.pdf

You might want to look at this video about table saw alignment. It's not about the TS-3650 specifically, but most of the
    instruction about contractor style saws will apply. Along with the instructions in the manual, this should help you get your
    TS setup nice and square from the beginning.
    http://www.ts-aligner.com/tablesaw.htm

So you've heard about the arbor issue:

We don't know a date code or serial number that RIDGID can say anything produced after this has the modified arbor, so
    you will have to check yours to be sure. Some saws but not all had a problem with their arbors as they came shipped from
    the factory. The problem, briefly, so as not to scare anyone from buying the TS-3650, only occurs if you are using a
    stacked dado blade set.

Here is what one of the RIDGID Reps posted back in Dec 2004 about the arbor problem.
    3599ba60e062b78fb7d2d3009fc1c7e3.txt
    -----------

See this thread for full story. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...highlight=3650

If you think your saw or one you are thinking of buying has the arbor problem then you might be considering replacing the arbor
    yourself. Here's a thread about replacing the arbor. I have not used this procedure myself, just offering it as information here. I
    suggest you review the arbor replacement thread and be sure you feel comfortable with and have the tools and skills necessary
    to complete the work before you start.

If you're found a 3650 or 3660 for sale you might want to look at this comparison of tablesaws by American Woodworker in 2005; http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker..._Tablesaws.pdf

No matter what make TS you buy, work safe! If you are new to using a Table Saw or haven't used one in a while, I suggest you
    view the safety videos provided by the Power Tool Institute: http://www.powertoolinstitute.com/stream1.html

The Press Release for the new TS-3650 back in 2003
    "RIDGID® Introduces the Ultimate Table Saw" - (see attachment TS3650 Press Release.txt)
    Last edited by Bob D.; 04-27-2009, 06:05 PM. Reason: Added additional links to table saw manuals
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

A couple of little things for alignment...

I found a great article in Fine Woodworking #179 (Oct 05) called Tablesaw Tune-up, and a video that goes along with it by the same author.

http://www.taunton.com/FWN/ToolGuide...e.aspx?id=5313

It's 8 minutes long, and for a newbie like me learning to align the tablesaw it's nice to see someone do it, and giving advice on tolerances as well.

HTH,
    Jalon

Comment

Will it start?

I just spent an enjoyable 9+ hours assembling a new TS3650. I like to do these kinds of chores as they give me a sense of accomplishment, especially a cool tool I will use to make other cool things. When the magic moment to power up arrived, it didn't . . . power up that is. Probably a bad switch . . . tomorrow Rigid (Home Depot via One World Tool Co.) will get a HUGE piece of my mind. One might hope someone in the QC section in Tiawan might just make sure the switch worked before the units are shipped . . . mighten one.

So . . . BEFORE you spend a day assembling your new TS3650, plug in the motor/switch assembly and make sure it works. It's easier to return that way. That said, Rigid does give you fair warning of sorts on page 17 where they say, "Do not discard the packing material until you have carefully inspected and satisfactorily operated the tool." It's like they KNOW you'll be bring it back . . .

Here's the irony . . . I decided to buy a new saw because I got tired of replacing switches in my 25-year old Craftsman . . . go figure . . .

Stephen
      Fairview, NC

Comment

Did you verify that the circuit is live?
        Did you check to see if the motor overload was tripped?
        Did you check under the little cover thingy on the motor to see if maybe a wire is loose?

If the answer to these is yes, then maybe you could just exchange the switch assy. I hope you weren't thinking you had to take the whole saw back.
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Did you put the yellow key in the switch?
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Lorax - Yes to all
            TOD - The yellow key (mechanical lock out) is sitting on the work bench

Calling Rigid this morning . . . after coffee . . .

Comment

TOD - Ok . . . you're right . . . yellow key is NOT a lockout, but an enabler . . . I WON'T be calling Rigid this morning. Thanks!

Comment

Glad I could help. Hope you didn't lose to much sleep.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by scribenc
                  I just spent an enjoyable 9+ hours assembling a new TS3650. I like to do these kinds of chores as they give me a sense of accomplishment, especially a cool tool I will use to make other cool things. When the magic moment to power up arrived, it didn't . . . power up that is. Probably a bad switch . . . tomorrow Rigid (Home Depot via One World Tool Co.) will get a HUGE piece of my mind. One might hope someone in the QC section in Tiawan might just make sure the switch worked before the units are shipped . . . mighten one.

So . . . BEFORE you spend a day assembling your new TS3650, plug in the motor/switch assembly and make sure it works. It's easier to return that way. That said, Rigid does give you fair warning of sorts on page 17 where they say, "Do not discard the packing material until you have carefully inspected and satisfactorily operated the tool." It's like they KNOW you'll be bring it back . . .

Here's the irony . . . I decided to buy a new saw because I got tired of replacing switches in my 25-year old Craftsman . . . go figure . . .

Stephen
                  Fairview, NC
                  Didn't your Craftsman saw have a key? Every stationary tool I have has the same key.
                  Lorax

Comment

Lorax - The Craftsman was 25 years old and had a succession of switches. The last 15 years it had a simple toggle switch from Radio Shack.

With the exception of the new 3650, I don't have a stationary tool newer than 25-years old. Most are hand-me-downs from long dead family members. If it works, keep and use it. My handheld power tools, except an old router, are a different story. None of them are older than two or three years. Half or better of my hand tools are hand-me-downs as well.

Comment

Working on the Parts Manuals. RidgidParts Shoulda been updated a while back but slipped under the radar.

Thanks,

Josh

Comment

problem with herc-u-lift

I just got the 3650 and have got it all assembled, but I can't get the herc-u-lift caster system to work. I did everything by the manual, but when I step on the large foot pedal, the saw won't lift onto the wheels. Anybody got advice?

Chris.

Comment

Did you leave the bolts loose that are supposed to be loose? Do you have the levelers adjusted out too far? The shorter the better.
                          Lorax

Comment

Originally posted by ub1chris
                            I just got the 3650 and have got it all assembled, but I can't get the herc-u-lift caster system to work. I did everything by the manual, but when I step on the large foot pedal, the saw won't lift onto the wheels. Anybody got advice?

Chris.
                            Are the bars of the Herc U Lift under the brackets on the legs? Does the pedal lock down?
                            SSG, U.S. Army
                            Retired
                            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Chris, did you get your herculift issues resolved?

Before I did my assembly, I grabbed the latest manual from ridgid's site and followed both of them. The one I downloaded had much more and better details especially with the lift instructions.

Here's a link tot the manual I downloaded:

http://www.ridgid.com/CatalogDocs/TS3650_6498_eng.pdf

It might be advantageous to go through the pdf and verify that you did everything correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X