X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collection: 5 or 30 micron?

Has anyone done real-world comparisons between 5 and 30 micron dust collectors? Is it worth an extra $100?
    How much noticeable difference is there between the 2? (I'll assume the 5 micron is healthier, but I'm a bit more concerned with my dust coating the newly finished basement outside the shop door...definitely a health hazard there)

Thanks,

Dave

My DC came with a 1 micron shaker felt upper bag and a 30 micron lower bag. The 30 lets a LOT of dust through. I replaced the lower bag with a plastic bag and have close to 0 leakage (with no noticeable drop in suckage).
    For your situation I would recommend this one. Be aware that it is 220v only. 1029Z

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/main/144

If you are working next to a finished basement (or anywhere else for that matter) you will probably need an air filter as well
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

You don't need to pay $100 for replacement bags. Grizzly has a 2.5 micron dust bag, G5556, that will fit many 1½ and 2 HP DC's for about $25ea. Unless your SOP is to wear a respirator while in the shop, 5 micron bags or smaller are a very good idea for health reasons. Keeping the shop and surrounding areas free of most fine dust film is also a side benefit.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

<5 it is

Thanks guys,

Sounds like I'm best off not going cheap with a 30 micron setup. That Grizz looks like a pretty decent deal - the 2-stage setup might be nice too - I'm pretty good at sucking up all sorts of bits the impeller might not like. The 220 isn't an issue, as I'm planning on wiring in a coupla 220 circuits before putting the walls up. Just to know what to expect, how noisy are these critters?

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

I bought a Griz G1029 about 3-1/2 years ago. About 2 years ago I upgraded the stock 30 micron bags to the Griz bags. At the time they were rated at 0.5 mics, but I suspect that may have been optimistic. I noticed a considerable reduction in fine dust settling on things. Those particles smaller than 30 microns are the most dangerous to your health because your lungs.

Comment

Qusestion for BD

BadgerDave, The G5556 is listed as a 0.3 micron bag... Is that what you have? What do you use for your bottom bag?

Comment

I just asked Griz tech services that very question this morning. The answer is.....2.5 micron.
              Last edited by Lorax; 01-20-2006, 03:39 PM.
              Lorax

Comment

Originally posted by cjh20
                BadgerDave, The G5556 is listed as a 0.3 micron bag... Is that what you have? What do you use for your bottom bag?
                The G5556 used to be rated at 0.3 microns. Whether or not it actually was 0.3 is open for debate. The rating change occured when the 2005 Griz catalog was printed.

I use the G5556 bags for both the top and bottom bags on my DC. I feel that I get more airflow, and consequently more SCFM's, using two cloth bags than I would using a cloth bag on the top and a plastic bag on the bottom. Purely personal choice on my part as many users choose the cloth bag on top with a plastic bag on the bottom and seem happy with the resultsthat combination gives them.

Comment

Until I changed bags I made do for about a year with HF's 30 mic "dust bag" (barely a filter). I had read somewhere and subsequently used the PAM spray to the inside of the bags to increase the rate of build up of the dust-cake. It worked really well! The best add on, however, has been the separator which I made out of a scrapped 30 gal drum. You can locate these at any shop which makes up securement chains for tying down freight on truck, etc. Got mine for free but he soon started charging for them.
                  Later,
                  Chiz
                  Later,
                  Chiz

Comment

I have the griz 1029 also. came with 2.5 bags top and bottom and I still use the originals. The cta. only lists 220v but I had to change mine to 220 from 110 when I got it. i can't answer about noise, mine is outside and run by remote control.
                    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Dumb question

For the Dust Collection impaired such as myself...
                      What do you guys do with the dust when the bag is full?
                      I mean, do you transfer it to a trashbag? Do you put it out by the road on trash day? Do you have to take is somewhere yourself?

Do these questions make me look stupid? Be honest!

Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Originally posted by nobunaga-sama
                        For the Dust Collection impaired such as myself...
                        What do you guys do with the dust when the bag is full?
                        I mean, do you transfer it to a trashbag? Do you put it out by the road on trash day? Do you have to take is somewhere yourself? Yeah, I have to take mine out to "the burn pile" behind the shop. Living in the country on 24 acres of land definately has its advantages.

I suppose if that isn't an option there are other ways.
                        Is there a recycling center that would take it?
                        If you put it out in the trash, definately keep it in a plastic bag, or even an old box. Don't want a trashcan full of sawdust blowing in the trashman's face. Some of those guys are really big!
                        DO NOT use it for animal bedding!! Some woods are toxic!! Better safe than sorry.

Do these questions make me look stupid? Be honest!
                        As compared to what??

BTW, you have a PM!!
                        Lorax

Comment

Depending on the type of wood you are using, you could just spread it in your garden or even over your lawn. It is just wood after all so it will decompose rather quickly and put back all the good stuff into the soil.

If you choose to put it out with your garbage pick-up do your guy who picks it up a favor and rebag it and secure the bag.

Comment

Burn baby burn!!!... Well maybe not.

I guess burning is out. The subdivision i'm in probably doesn't appreciate such things.

I guess it wasn't enough to be envious of everyone's abilities in woodworking, now i have to be envious of where they live also
                            It's not fair i tell ya! {stamp, stamp}

I guess i like the idea of spreading it over the lawn. That will probably be my route.

I guess i better get a collector first though huh?

I'm going to go with the 1029 and eventually get the better bags.
                            Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Good choice

Originally posted by nobunaga-sama
                              I'm going to go with the 1029 and eventually get the better bags.
                              Good choice. I highly recommend the chip seperaror that fits on a 30 gal trash can. It's a snap to empty the trash can compared to the bottom bag. You probably won't have to remove the bottom bag for months! The 1029 comes with 2.5 micron bags which you may find to be quite adequate.

Did you get your sewing machine ??
                              Lorax

Comment

Working...
                              X