X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial Indicator - Aligning a Table, Radial Arm & Band Saws

I am need of a Dial Indicator so I can align my Table Saw, Radial Arm Saw & my most recent U.M.P. (unauthorized martial purchase) purchase... a Band Saw.

I've seen several magentic types but I'm thinking if they have one that slides in the miter slot or have the capablity of using the miter slot, that would be a beni.

any thoughts?

rich

buy or make

www.rockler.com has a sweet looking setup, but of course it's pricey.
    Just search for "indicator" on their site.
    Or you could make your own fixture and mount an inexpensive dial indiator onto it. That's what i'm planning on doing.
    Our local machine tool supplier has a deal going on this month on SPI 1" travel dial inticators. There is one as low as $15!
    It pisses me off that years ago i HAD all these tools (top of the line stuff too) and sold it all for cheap because I "thought" i would never use them again. AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!
    Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

You did what ? ?

Originally posted by nobunaga-sama
      It pisses me off that years ago i HAD all these tools (top of the line stuff too) and sold it all for cheap because I "thought" i would never use them again. AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!
      Shame on you!

Hate to sound like a broken record, but Harbor Freight often has indicators, mag bases, and digital verniers on sale.

Or, as long as you're standing by your mailbox, I could send you my Starrett set-up.
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Grizzly has a nice dial indicator and mag base setup for I think $29.95. Well, it's up to $31.95 now, just checked.

Look for;
        H3022 Magnetic Base, Dial Indicator, Caliper Combo pk.

Not the top of the line stuff that a machinst would be used to working with, but more than good enough for a wood shop.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Here is a quickie solution

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3883
          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Great price!

Wow, the Grizzly product is a good price! I'm going to be looking at that puppy!

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Starrett aaaahhhhhaaatttaaagggg...
            (That's the best Homer Simpson impression i can type - DOH!)
            Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

I just got that Grizzly setup and it's very nice. You don't need any fancy machinists tools to adjust your saw though. I made a "runner" that fits tightly into the miter slot, and then screwed another piece of hardwood perpendicular to it (kind of a "+") long enough to get within a half inch of the blade. Then screw a wood screw into the end of the piece towards the blade. Now, pick a tooth and mark it with a pencil. You just turn the screw in or out until it just touches the marked tooth. Rotate the marked tooth to the back of the throat and slide your "guage" back in the miter slot and check the distance with a feeler guage (oe just by feel), and adjust accordingly. I set my 22124 up using this method before I got the dial indicator. I checked it with the new dial indicator and was within .003

Comment

Hi, I made the machinists comment because a couple of our members were machinists in another life

Anywho, the Griz dial indicator is OK, the one thing it lacks is interchangeable tips, one of the other sets came with interchangeable tips plus all the stuff in the Griz setup for roughly the same price plus a couple bucks, but I can't remember who it was. There was an article recently in one of the woodworking mags about dial indicators and tuning you TS, I'll find it if I can.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Bob,

Did you ever find that article? I'd like to read it.
                  So many saws, so few fingers...

Comment

Originally posted by Lee M
                    Bob,

Did you ever find that article? I'd like to read it.
                    Hello Lee,

I have not looked for it, but maybe it will turn up today. I am in the office getting stuff together to do taxes. Too cold to be out in the shop here this weekend.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

How to book

The dial indicator is certainly a helpful tool and good old Harbor Freight is probably the cheapest place to get one. One other "TOOL" you might consider is a book by Mark Duginske. The name of the book is "Mastering Woodworking Machines". It's by Taunton press (Fine Woodworking) and will tell you how to set up every major tool in your shop. There is an accompanying video and I would highly recommend that you get this with the book. This is one book that just about every Woodworker could use (Norm excluded).
                      Dick

Comment

Where's the video

Hey Hergy,
                        I looked up "Mastering Woodworking Machines" on Amazon ($15.72) but do you have anymore info on that video?
                        Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
                          the Griz dial indicator is OK, the one thing it lacks is interchangeable tips, one of the other sets came with interchangeable tips plus all the stuff in the Griz setup for roughly the same price plus a couple bucks, but I can't remember who it was. There was an article recently in one of the woodworking mags about dial indicators and tuning you TS, I'll find it if I can.
                          That was American Woodworker (forget the issue)

www.littlemachineshop.com

Product #1782
                          Mag. Dial caliper set w/ many tips
                          $17.95

Mine works just great.
                          Last edited by Criz; 03-10-2006, 03:09 PM.
                          My shop:
                          Ridgid TS2424 w/Forrest WWII
                          Incra TSIII w/Wonderfence & rt. side table
                          Old Shopmaster 14" bandsaw
                          Sunhill 6" Jointer
                          DW708 SCMS w/Forrest Chopmaster
                          Delta Shopmaster drillpress
                          Incra Router Lift
                          Pro Ftr guides
                          2 Grrrippers & 2 GripTites
                          CMJ splitter
                          10 fingers