X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice

ok....im 24 yrs old and i want to start building stuff for a living. i wana build stuff like realy good quality oak furniture and stuff.....chest of drawrs, tables, gun cabnits, and so on.
    the thing is im not rich and tools are expencive, i curently own.....2 old bench top drill preses nithor of with has a tilting base, a old radial arm saw, a wood lathe, a bench top belt disk sander,old b&d circular saw, craftsman jig saw,rotary tool, and a ridgid 18v drill.
    what els do u recomend i should invest in befor i try and start this job.
    i was thinking im guna have to at least buy a planer, band saw, and good router and table..........

The most important requirement IMO is one you already have.... desire...
    "i wana build stuff..." will take you a long way until you can piece together the shop you want, even with the tools you've got. There's alot of ways of doing things, and as long as you're safe and get results, that's the correct way.

New tools according to hewood : I'd grab a router, basic bit set, and build a router table pretty early on (< $200 will do great). I find a good table saw pretty important, but not everyone does, plus you've got a RAS...be sure to have a decent (and appropriate) blade. A Leitz distributor on Woodnet by the handle of "XCESSTOOLING" has a limited supply of discontinued high quality German made blades cheap. A jointer and planer in tandem are a great way to make wood flat and square at the start of each project, but there are ways to cope without them....if I could only have one, I think I could make do better with just a planer than just a jointer. You might consider selling one of your DP's to raise tool funds if you don't need both.

Comment

hey thanks a lot man. not that long ago i was waching a REALY nice set goin on ebay, it was a porter cable router with the regular base, and the plunge base and the table, all bran new....i drooled over it for like 3 days but just didnt have the money for it, it went for like $275.00 im prity sure.
      wish i coulda got that awsome deal......

Comment

Some advice

I know where you are coming from.... I am 26 and have been working on building my shop for the past 2-3 years. It is a slow and steady process...Dont rush to get something cheap because that is all the money you have at the time... Save and get what you want, you will be glad you did once you start using that power tool of quality.
        Here is a good quality router table and fence that I have just purchased w/ top end quality http://hartvilletool.com/product/10964 .
        Look into getting a Makita RF1101 Router 2 1/4 hp I picked one up brand new for $140.
        Remember paitence, read all you can and more patience.

Comment

Some advice

I know where you are coming from.... I am 26 and have been working on building my shop for the past 2-3 years. It is a slow and steady process...Dont rush to get something cheap because that is all the money you have at the time... Save and get what you want, you will be glad you did once you start using that power tool of quality.
          Here is a good quality router table and fence that I have just purchased w/ top end quality http://hartvilletool.com/product/10964 .
          Look into getting a Makita RF1101 Router 2 1/4 hp I picked one up brand new for $140.
          Remember paitence, read all you can and more patience.

Comment

Working...
          X