Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do/don't you use in your cordless combo kit

Background:
    I do drywall, framing, decks, sheds. Occasianal chair/table, etc. I am a programmer by day, and offer amatuer carpentry services by weekend, as a way to burn off steam, and make a tiny bit or $$$. As a kid I did more 'woodworking', but that was because the neighbour let me use his lathe/router/biscuit-joiner/planer/scroll-saw/etc.

My 14.4 Mastercraft (A canadian generic brand) died finally. Trying to decide if I should by, a combo kit or not... hell, I am not even firm on brand or voltage yet.

Besides the drill, the only tool I think would be handy would be the sawzall. I would not use the sawzall a lot, but times when I would use it, not having to use a cord would be great. For summer jobs, I worked for a contractor, we used the sawzall al the time for knocking walls out, cutting holes, etc. We plan on renovating our house this month, so I would atleast get a month out of it :-).

I have read about people who end up using the impact tool for most of the stuff they used to use the drill for. (Wood a impact tool work for driving driving screws into wood, or is there enough control there?)

The circular saw, I don't care, I'll use a cord, when I need to cut something.

Flash light? Er... camping trips?

It seems that only dewalt offers a drill sawzall combo.

Seems I can pickup a drill/circ./recip/flash set of bosch/milwaukee/ridgid for about $375 USD, shipped, on eBay. The ridgid combos for this price come with an impact gun. I can get just the drill for about $225 shipped. Then I could buy the naked reciprocating saw for about $100 shipped. Hmmm....
    (I have to use eBay, as tools in Canada cost about 25%-40% more than the prices I see advertised in the US. THough I will ahve to pay duty as it crosses border).

Or maybe I should just buy a 14.4 and save on weight and price? But if I ever wanted a recip. there are none for 14.4's.

My god the decisions. I went out (with cash) to buy a drill the other day, came home confused, and have been trying to make up my mind for 2 weeks now!

Brands:
    Bosch: I love everything I have read about this drill, but I have big palms, short fingers, and the handle is somewhat large. Can anyone comment on this?

Milwaukee: heavier than bosch, but comfy. would rather have the nimh of the bosh. people seem to love these drills.

ridgid: slightly cheaper. battery complaints, but generallys seem to be high quality. no more lifetime service, but the 3 years is still great.

hitachi: their lower end stuff has perked my interest, but as for their upper end stuff, it is the same price as the above three, so I might as well grab one of them.

Contractors have the *advantage* of wearing out their tools quick enough, that if they don't like something, they don't buy it next time. I will likely have the tool for the next 10 years. So I want to love it.

There you have it. Longest post ever, covering more thant 37 topics, posing over 60 questions. Let me hear your thoughts.

~S

One more possibility

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?

A lot of people bash Craftsman tools. Whether it is deserved or not you may have decided based on your own experience.
    I have had a 19.2 v set similar to this one for about 3 yrs and it has been great.
    Only you can decide.
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

"...no more lifetime service..."

Huh??

Josh better hurry up and remove all that stuff about Lifetime Service on the Ridgid website then.

http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

After reading through the agreement quickly just now it does leave open the possibility of ending the enrollment period for the LSA (Lifetime Service). but I could not find anything that says it HAS ended already.

Since it is a limited enrollment period, it is nothing more than a marketing ploy, for which they are willing to take on the added costs of servicing all the tool purchased during the promotion. I wonder if they set a number (or tools) as the cutoff or will end it when they see fit?
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I will save this one for our brand manager to answer completely. But the way I understand it this isnt a marketing ploy. I believe its here to stay. If you listen to the JobCast on our site they are talking about the LSA at the Builders Show today. So I am sure its still here today and I am fairly sure it will be around for long time but that would be better answered by our brand manger.

Josh

Comment

3 Yr Limited Svc Warranty, 90 Day Guarantee
          That is straight from www.homedepot.ca. So I assumed that the lifetime was only available in the USA. But I phone the local HD, and they said that there is a lifetime service agreement. That changes things.

Does anyone know if that service agreement is valid, if the package is bought off of ebay?

~S

Comment

No (Ridgid) warranties or agreements are valid unless purchased from an authorized dealer.
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by snowsquirrel
              Background:

I have read about people who end up using the impact tool for most of the stuff they used to use the drill for. (Wood a impact tool work for driving driving screws into wood, or is there enough control there?)

~S

I didn't know what to think about the little impact driver at first but I use it now instead of a screwgun. I haven't had any problem using it for 3" drywall screws in wood. It has a lot of speed control, it can go as slow as you need then it can really jam without having to change the gear ratio.
              The bits can be changed really quick and with drill bits with hex ends on them you can drill with it.

Cordless tools are handy to have around. When you have them there you find new uses for the tools. More is better.

The good cordless tools are fairly comprable in performance but LSA made the difference for me.

Comment

I have a question about the LSA. I purchased the TS3650 and TP1300 on a thursday and threw the boxes away friday since it was trash day. I didn't keep the upc code so how can I register these 2 items? I do have the sales slip.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Lifetime Service Agreement

The Lifetime Service Agreement is very much an active program. Due to very high volumes the turnaround on the administrative side is delayed. However, since the Agreement does not kick in until the expiration of the standard 3-year warranty, there will not be an LSA claim for another two years. I am sure by then we will have the paperwork turning around in a more reasonable time period. Thanks to everyone for their support of RIDGID.

Comment

"for a limited time"

ProBrand, could you answer for us all the reasoning behind the requirement for the packaging UPC code panel?

Why is this required to register the tool if someone has the store receipt?
                    What does it prove? That I bought the tool or I found the box in the trash?

Although not related to registering a tool but my comments above about the LSA being a marketing strategy (above I used ploy, and that was not the correct way to refer to it) are based on the following which appears in the LSA:

"The Lifetime Service Agreement is available free of charge, for a limited time commencing April 15, 2005. ..."

It's that open-ended "for a limited time" that gets me. If you intend to stand behind your products then do so from now on, not until someone high up decides that they have had enough and ends the program. If you want repeat purchases of Ridgid tools by consumers, then this is one thing that should remain consistent and constant, so they know that 2 or 3 years from now when they walk into the store to buy a drill or impact tool or whatever that they will still be able to get the LSA on that tool too.

You can say what you want about Craftsman hand tools, but they honor the Lifetime Guarantee on their hand tools no matter how long ago they were purchased, same for Snap-On and others, and I know without a doubt that I will not have to wonder if the next Craftsman hand tool I purchase will be covered. OK, I'm comparing apples to oranges (power tools to hand tools), but I'm looking at the companies' commitment to honor the agreement, not the type or price of the tool. You think Snap-On or Craftsman tools would be so popular if their Lifetime Guarantee were an on again/off again thing, I don't.

If Ridgid tools are quality built and so tough, there should be no problem offering the LSA from now on, not just "for a limited time". If you're trying to steal market share from the competition, then you offer some super-duper option (hey, how about a Lifetime Service Agreement) that they can't afford to match, and you do it long enough that everyone (consumers) gets used to the idea and assumes it will always be there. And so even after the "limited time" is over, you are still receiving the benefit of increased market share without the commitment, should you (Ridgid) decide that the "limited time" is up.

I guess I'm taking this out on Ridgid but other manufacturers are no better, so though I have addressed this at Ridgid's LSA I feel the same about any such marketing strategy from any company. It's only a method of gaining market share. Setting aside monies to cover the cost of supporting the LSA is just spending advertising dollars in a different way if the LSA is a marketing strategy.

Bottom line is its all about making money, and every company is within their right to make an honest dollar as they see fit. I'm not saying that Ridgid is doing anything wrong here or is dishonest in any way. I would like to see them come out and say that the LSA is here to stay from now on, and any Ridgid Power Tool is covered. Lets see the competition match that. I like Ridgid tools, I own many of them, but so far only the two power tools, my TS-3650 and the trim router, plus a few FlipTop stands, an MSUV, and plenty of pipe wrenches, tubing cutters, etc.

One way to say your tools are the best is to stand behind them forever.

This is all certainly more than ProBrand can answer for. This is way beyond (I would think) his level within Ridgid, but that's a pure guess on my part. I have no idea who ProBrand is within the Ridgid organization or at what level he sits in their corporate structure, so maybe he can take my thoughts and pass them on (if so feel free to do so) to someone who might be interested in hearing them, if that person is not him.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Bob D., I appreciate both your time and senior status on this board. I certainly bring up issues raised here (even if I don't respond directly on the board) within RIDGID as the voice of the end user is the most important. As for your questions, the UPC I hope is not too much of an inconvenience, but much like a rebate form,the receipt coupled with the UPC lessens the chance that anyone is taking unfair advantage of the program.

As for the second part, no shortage of interesting business discussion there. All I can say is that the program duration blew right by the original "limited time" noted in the fine print. And you can bet I'll lobby for the latter half of "on again/off again" not to happen or I am sure it wouldn't be fun answering to the posts that hit this thread! As it stands, the program is very much active and I am not aware of any plans to the contrary. Your points are well taken.

Thank you for your support of RIDGID and I look forward to reading the future posts on this and all of the other subjects raised in the forums.

Comment

ProBrand,

Thanks for your reply and I am glad to hear that there are no plans to end the LSA. Your response gives me and others I am sure confidence in Ridgid's commitment to stand behind its products.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

combo kits

i have a dewalt fat pack. it has a drill, circular saw, sawsall, and flashlight. I recently built my new home and will tell you i have used every one of the tools. the drill i was by far more than anything. it is just nice to be able to have the use of these tools without dragging all the cords out. and the flashlight comes in handy alot because it bends so you can get the light were you want it and you dont have to hold it., i am very happy with the dewalt. scott

Comment

I don't want to give you the wrong idea but I wouldn't count on keeping and cordless tool for ten years. I currently own two combo sets a Dewalt and a Ryobi. I also have a Craftsman, Hitachi, and Black and Decker cordless drills. The reason I wouldn't count on ten years is two fold batteries and obsolescense. The three drills I mentioned were used each for 2-5 years. The batteries range from 9-14V. After much use the batteries are no longer able to hold a charge. Replacement batteries, considering the wear on the tool, are almost as expensive as buying a new tool. Two key features I have found is the time a battery can hold a charge and the power of the tool. I understand someone is getting ready to or already has marketed a 24V battery toolset, which leads to the obsolescence. There is no comparison between the quality of the Dewalt tools versus the Ryobi, or price. My Ryobi set costs half what the Dewalt did and had twice as many tools. Don't get me wrong but I'm not taking the Dewalt back I don't care if they did cost more. The only reason I responded to your posting is I am a Program Manager who also uses tools on weekends for a variety of things as you stated you did. My wife and three daughters think I can fix or make anything and its hard to disappoint a woman. I own two homes in two different states which is why I have so many tools. I have corded hand tools but I don't know where I put them. Hope this helps.

Comment

I have two Dewalt drills 12 and 18v and i love using both. The 12v is a perfect fit in may hand for light work. I also have the Ridgid 5pc combo and have seldom used the circ saw but did use it to help a neighbor fix their roof. The impact driver comes in handy when i have to get a screw in a tight place, I really enjoy having the two bay charger I may also get the dewalt 2 bay charger for future convenience
                              "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                              "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Working...
                              X