My first REAL project (pic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first REAL project (pic)

heres a picture of some shutters i made for my house,What do you guys or gals think.
    I used laminated pine just to see if i could do it.Now mama wants some on all the windows upstairs,I guess its time to look for some basswood
    Does anyone know how much this wood costs (i live in canada just outside Toronto)

Any comments woujd be appreciated
    Nelz
    Attached Files

Pretty work

Nelz, very pretty work !

Jerry
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Very Nice Work. They look great.
      Have a great day unless you've made other plans.

Comment

Nelz,

Nice Job! I am at the assembly stage of a craddle for my first kid, I'll post pics in a wekk or so. As far as wood costs try this http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?pd=1038&deptid=1038. But you can probably get a better price from a local hardwood store.
        Durham

Comment

Another source for wood is here;

http://www.walllumber.com/lum.asp

Check out their UPS Bundles. Most run from $80 to $100, depending on the wood and thickness (4/4 or 8/4) you select.

As an example here is the current price (1/17/06) for Quarter-sawn oak:
          -----------------
          White Oak (Quarter Sawn)$122.00$124.00, (5/4)

Above prices are for approximately 20 bd. ft. bundle of clear 1 Face (except for cedar and white pine which have tight knots or lumber listed as 1C + Btr.) 3" - 10" wide * 3' - 5' long. Lengths and widths are random. Add 15% to price of bundle if you specify particular lengths and widths. Lumber is surfaced two sides (13/16" on 1" stock 1 3/4" on 2" stock) or rough. Some of the heavy woods are skimmed to meet the 70 lb. UPS limit even though rough lumber is specified. Prices include UPS delivery prepaid in the Continental U.S. Please Specify Rough or Surfaced Stock.
          *Add $5 if Rough. Add $5 if over 5' long (Shipped in 2 bundles)
          ------------------

Just passing it on, I have no connection with this company and gain/lose nothing if you order or not.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

lookin for lumber?

Originally posted by nelz
            heres a picture of some shutters i made for my house,What do you guys or gals think.
            I used laminated pine just to see if i could do it.Now mama wants some on all the windows upstairs,I guess its time to look for some basswood
            Does anyone know how much this wood costs (i live in canada just outside Toronto)

Any comments woujd be appreciated
            Nelz
            Nelz and anyone else lookin' for lumber.

Try this first.

www.woodfinder.com

BTW shutters
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Nelz,
              They look great! I am always humbled when I see other people's work here.
              Skip
              Stay well and play well.
              Skip

Comment

Thanx for all the input guys ,as usual you are right up on top of it
                Just want to say thanks for making this hobby so much more enjoyable with all the knowledgable input.

......that was the sound of a cold canadian beer being tipped your way

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                X