Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurcalift(sp) uses

Hi this is my first post.
    I recently bought a Rigid jointer and wondering if the Hurcalift(sp) works with this. The HD tools sales guy said it did. Then looking at the box further at home it didnt specify that it did work with the jointer, neither did the jointer booklet.
    Does this Rigid mobile base work with the Rigid jointer?
    BTW. I am impressed with the jointer, I was skeptical because it received mixed reviews but it was smooth a vibration free right out tof the box.

Thanks
    C

No, I don't believe you can use the Herc-U-Lift with the Jointer. There are other mobile bases that will work just fine, or you can make your own as others have (UO_Woody made a nice one, but I don't think you can search the old threads yet). You should be able to find a mobile base in the $50 to $75 range. I know that sounds like a lot of cash to give up for just a couple wheels, but you will be glad you did every time you have to move the Jointer. If/When you do have to move it, don't pick it up or drag it around the the infeed or outfeed table, I believe the manual cautions about this also.

Found Woody's old post about building a mobile base for the jointer;

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3846
    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-21-2006, 10:59 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

hurc u lift system

Originally posted by cam cam
      Hi this is my first post.
      I recently bought a Rigid jointer and wondering if the Hurcalift(sp) works with this. The HD tools sales guy said it did. Then looking at the box further at home it didnt specify that it did work with the jointer, neither did the jointer booklet.
      Does this Rigid mobile base work with the Rigid jointer?
      BTW. I am impressed with the jointer, I was skeptical because it received mixed reviews but it was smooth a vibration free right out tof the box.

Thanks
      C
      the hurc u lift system will fit the TS the RAS, BS and lathe, also legset with a 24x24 or 32x32 , also craftsmans systems, I was sent a whole set by Rigid which I never have used (still in the box) if your interested you can email me for more details

Comment

Herculift

General International Makes A Universal Mobile Base That Easily Fits My Ridgid Jointer. It Only Costs About $50. Very Stable And Quite Rugged. Check Generalmachinery.com.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I looked for that mobile base from General International Machinery. Found that generalmachinery.com is a non-related company. Looks like the base mentioned by FINER9998 can be seen at:

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/acces/universal.html
          http://www.general.ca/index.html

Although only distributors in my area are Woodcraft and the local store does not carry them. Guess I will keep poking around or just end up building my own.
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Interesting, I was talking with a local tool store person and they indicated that a jointer was not a real good candidate for a mobile base. He indicated that the jointer was easy to tip b/c of the ratio of height to the short side and the high center of gravity. Anyone out there had problem of this type. I was going to get a floor model jointer, but need the mobility. If the mobility is going to be unsafe, I might go with a benchtop and sacrifice the capacity a bit. What's a newbie to do?
            Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Jointer base

Yes, the jointer is definately a top-heavy piece of equipment. If you look at the pic that Bob D posted above you will see that the mobile base is wider front to back than the jointer base. It also looks like the jointer is raised only about 1 - 1 1/2 inches. I think those 2 things are the secret to a safe jointer mobile base. You wouldn't want to put 3 or 4 inch wheels under one.
              Lorax
              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Herculift uses

Thanks wwsmith. That's the base I was referring to. Shipping was very reasonable and as I mentioned, the base is very stable, even for the top heavy jointer.

Comment

Her-cu-lift Plus on the RIDGID Jointer

I just finished installing the herculift plus system on my new ridgid jointer/planer. there is a very simple modification that you need to do. all you have to do is add four 2x2x5"tall steel tubes and the system works well. i have to engage and disengage the wheels by hand. surprisingly enough, it was easy to engage it, didnt need much force at all. here are the pictures.
                  Attached Files

omar

Comment

Attached Files

omar

Comment

seems ackward to use to say the very least
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

footprintsinconc...I'm absolutely dumbfounded! A very impresive installation!

Comment

thanks FINER9998! it took some time, but thank god it worked

oldslowchevy, i really liked the heruclift caster becuase they lifted the machine clear off the floor. i already have them on my ts and thickness planer and am really satisfied by their performance. so when i saw the other alternatives for the jointer, they didnt give the same clearance and easy of movement over garage floors that could have some high and low spots, i then decided to give the herculift a try. its a little awkward in the sence that you have to lift or drop the machine by hand, but its not hard at all. so far i love it, but time will tell!

omar

Comment

it just seems like it would be very hard to operate (at least in my mind) with the levers under the jointer with only what aperrs to be limited acces to them
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Re: Hurcalift(sp) uses

Cam Cam
                              I live in Albany, NY. I don't know where you are located but I have a new Herculift still in the box that I am willing to let you have cheaply or willing to trade for wood clamps, bandsaw blades or almost anything else. Everything I have is already on mobile bases and this thing is just taking up space.

I know this is not a buy/sell/trade forum but the same offer applies to anyone else. I am not willing to ship, you will have to pick it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X