Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrool Saw

What is the best Scroll Saw??
    Last edited by dockerd1; 01-25-2006, 07:58 PM.

I’ve always heard that these were not too shabby, never personally had the opportunity to try one out. I have also heard that the DeWalt is a fine saw for the middle of the price spectrum.

Woodslayer

http://rbiwoodtools.com/s/Dynamic/sc...l_saw_four.cfm

Comment

What's your budget?
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Saying's

BagerDave. riddles confuse me. If you are saying that seeing, this it a Ridgid talk sight, that I should be only looking at Ridgid?? Well I work hard and long for my money, so when I want too buy a tool that I like, I look around for the best, so I have Ridgid, dewalt, Porter Cable, B & D.I look for the best for my money.

Dave. (dockerd1)
        Last edited by dockerd1; 01-24-2006, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I think Dave was simply trying to determine what your budget was to recommend a saw within your price range. As it sounds like price is not much of an issue for you the saws recommended by Woodslayer are pretty nice, although I admit to not owning one but have used one a couple times. I haven't enough use for one to buy a scroll saw as of yet, but my friend has a Dewalt and it works great for what I do with it. I've also had people tell me the Delta SS350LS is a nice saw (about $200) and works fine.

I suppose it could also depend on what you are wanting to do with it. Do you plan to do large projects that require a very deep throat capacity? Plan on using very thick woods? Prefer a bench top or floor standing model? Large table area?
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

dockerd1,

BadgerDave's response was simply, "What's your budget?"

(Maybe you read his by-line and thought he was picking on you or something.)

Scroll saws are all over the place with regard to price. On the low end, you can buy one for less than $100 and as you can see by the link, they can get pretty expensive. If I had posted the same question as you (no disrespect intended to anyone) and got a link to a $1,000 saw, I think my responding thoughts would be that I'm looking at a hobby that is a bit over my head for the moment. So, having some idea of what you might want to spend is an issue to some extent?

What's the best car? Well, I hear that BMW's are really great, but it's hard to find anything better than a Masarati!

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 01-24-2006, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Here ya go:

http://www.advmachinery.com/default.asp?pg=p3a

By the way, Ridgid doesn't even make a scroll saw anymore.

Oh yeah. It's scroll not scrool!
              Lorax
              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Getting un confused I think

It is not that I have a large budget, I found in the past that, you only get what you pay for, and if you get somthing too small or not powerful enough, all thou you started only doing small jobs with your tools, next thing your trying to do somthing bigger, and you find out you cant, because the tool is too small, or not powerful enough. If you get my drift. I know my spelling & gremer sucks, I have been a truck driver too long.
                And sorry Dave for misunderstanding you I did say I was not good in riddles.

Dave. (dockerd1)

Comment

Dave, (dockerd1)

Okay, now I think I know where you are going. As previously mentioned, Ridgid no longer makes a scroll saw. Shortly after Ridgid dropped their 18-inch scroll saw, Ryobi announced their unit and they were almost identical. Ryobi then had two; a 16-inch and an 18-inch. From what I know, they both have received positive remarks. I own their 18-inch and though I don't do real heavy duty scrolling, I've found it to be pretty decent and have yet to have any problems with it.

Unfortunately, Ryobi stopped marketing their 18-inch unit but still sells the 16-inch at around $99, I believe. Good entry level unit. However, when I was in Sears during the holidays, I was surprised to see that they now have the 18-inch and it is almost exactly like the Ryobi and Ridgid units. Frankly I think they are all the same, with exception of color and perhaps minor enhancements and wouldn't be a bit surprised if they weren't all made by TTI (Techtronics International is Ryobi's parent company, and makes most of the Ridgid woodworking power tools (under license). Ridgid and Ryobi have been a major supplier to Sears for several decades, so I would be surprised if this particular tools wasn't the same unit.

Here is a link to the Craftsman scroll saw:
                  http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&bidsite=CRAFT

You may also want to look at the Dremel unit which I understand is being reduced at Home Depot. Delta also has an entry level unit which I believe can be found at Lowes or other nearby tool/woodworking retailers.

Certainly, the previously posted scroll saws are top-notch, but they do come at a hefty price for just beginning. There's two different thoughts on this, first, if you buy the best, you'll have a much keener sense of satisfaction and avoid any frustration due to poor design and quality and any resulting problems. Second, if you go into an "entry-level" machine, you can learn a lot, find your level of comfort, and be able to move-up should your interest and talents warrant.

While I prescibe to the latter, I must admit that my pocketbook hasn't allowed me the privilege of waste or the guilt of having purchase an expensive toy that might prove wasteful should my interest change.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Scroll Saw

Like the others said, there are many good brands of scroll saws and all price ranges. I happened to be lucky enough to have bought a Ridgid before they quit making them. It is an awesome saw. I paid just over $100 for it. For a good "hobby" quality saw it has been bullet proof.

The current Dremel scroll saw is around the same money as the Craftsman, and Dremels can probably be had at Wal*Mart at a discount. Plus, it has a power take off to run a flexible shaft or a small disk sander.
                    Phil
                    Tools Rule

Comment

Now that I got my panties unwadded!

This might help. Popular Mechanics comparison tests 6 scroll saws.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...tml?page=1&c=y
                      Lorax
                      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith
                        Dave, (dockerd1)

Okay, now I think I know where you are going. As previously mentioned, Ridgid no longer makes a scroll saw. Shortly after Ridgid dropped their 18-inch scroll saw, Ryobi announced their unit and they were almost identical. Ryobi then had two; a 16-inch and an 18-inch. From what I know, they both have received positive remarks. I own their 18-inch and though I don't do real heavy duty scrolling, I've found it to be pretty decent and have yet to have any problems with it.

Unfortunately, Ryobi stopped marketing their 18-inch unit but still sells the 16-inch at around $99, I believe. Good entry level unit. However, when I was in Sears during the holidays, I was surprised to see that they now have the 18-inch and it is almost exactly like the Ryobi and Ridgid units. Frankly I think they are all the same, with exception of color and perhaps minor enhancements and wouldn't be a bit surprised if they weren't all made by TTI (Techtronics International is Ryobi's parent company, and makes most of the Ridgid woodworking power tools (under license). Ridgid and Ryobi have been a major supplier to Sears for several decades, so I would be surprised if this particular tools wasn't the same unit.

Here is a link to the Craftsman scroll saw:
                        http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&bidsite=CRAFT

You may also want to look at the Dremel unit which I understand is being reduced at Home Depot. Delta also has an entry level unit which I believe can be found at Lowes or other nearby tool/woodworking retailers.

Certainly, the previously posted scroll saws are top-notch, but they do come at a hefty price for just beginning. There's two different thoughts on this, first, if you buy the best, you'll have a much keener sense of satisfaction and avoid any frustration due to poor design and quality and any resulting problems. Second, if you go into an "entry-level" machine, you can learn a lot, find your level of comfort, and be able to move-up should your interest and talents warrant.

While I prescibe to the latter, I must admit that my pocketbook hasn't allowed me the privilege of waste or the guilt of having purchase an expensive toy that might prove wasteful should my interest change.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                        I understand what you are saying. I went to rona over the weekend to price some wood for a balcony, and drifted over to the tool section, not a good idea me. I bought the new Dremel 1800. Now all I have to do is find some good patterns? Do you know where some one can find some at a good price?

Comment

Originally posted by dockerd1
                          I bought the new Dremel 1800. Now all I have to do is find some good patterns? Do you know where some one can find some at a good price?
                          You are going to enjoy the Dremel. All the Dremels I've owned were very durable and of high quality.
                          Patterns can be found all over the place. There are, for example, patterns almost every month in Wood Magazine and others. There are some magazines that are specifically for the scroll sawyer. Just check out your local well-stocked magazine vendor. You are only limited by your imagination. You can get some carbon paper from the office supply and trace, say, a picture out of a magazine advertisement. These simple-to-do things are great for honing your skill and practicing with.
                          Make sure when you get blades that you get several types and if you can by the dozen they will be a little bit cheaper. You will go through quite a few blades until you get a bit of experience about various material, it's thickness, and the feed speed and the blade speed.
                          One more tip, try to mount your saw on something that can absorb the shock of the recip action. I mounted mine on a 30"X30" piece of plywood (small enough to be portable, yet big enough to provide mass to offset the vibration of the machine, the thing about this is you can take it out of the shop and put it temporarily on saw horseswhere there is good sunlight) with some carpet-pad scrap to cushion the shock. Check with your local carpet dealer, and ask if they have some pad scraps. They will usually just give them to you. Try to get the densest pad you can get.
                          Good Luck!
                          Phil
                          Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax
                            This might help. Popular Mechanics comparison tests 6 scroll saws.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...tml?page=1&c=y
                            I bought a delta based on this article.
                            It was purchased at HD they are no longer going to carry it
                            I paid $179 cdn I havent really tested it harshly but, it is smooth, and very easy to change blades (no tools just a couple of levers) so far no complaints it is more of a hobby/handyman thing I am not a contractor.

hope this helps

Comment

Thanks

I would like to say thanks to you all for your understanding, and all your points and time. So I say to you all happy wood working.
                              BD Doxtater Ottawa Ontario Canada.

Comment

Working...
                              X