X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 6 1/8 Jointer Planer Cutter Guard Problem

I am the owner of a Ridgid JP0610 Jointer and I am very satisfied with the product except for the fact that I think the spring loaded cutter guard presents a Safety problem. The face of the guard where the board initially contacts when feeding has a slot of about 1/2" taken out of it around the whole edge. Depending on the installation requiring some clearance to provide swinging back after boad passes this leaves the possibility of getting a board wedged under it rather than having it swing forward as it should. Most of the Jointers I have deal with had this without the cutout, a solid face.

Is there an upgrade or fix that I can apply? Am I doing something Wrong?

Well got the email back from Ridgid and they said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Question/Problem:
    Email Date:01/26/2006 05:59 am
    Sent to:ridgid@customernation.com
    Subject:JP0610 6-1/8" Jointer/Planer

I am the owner of your jointer and I am very satisfied with the product except for the fact that I think the spring loaded cutter guard presents a Safety problem. The face of the guard where the board initially contacts when feeding has a slot of about 1/2" taken out of it around the whole edge. Depending on the installation requiring some clearance to provide swinging back after boad passes this leaves the possibility of getting a board wedged under it rather than having it swing forward as it should. Most of the Jointers I have deal with had this without the cutout, a solid face. Is there an upgrade or fix that I can apply? Gary Orgill
    Attachments
    msg-19463-1.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID Response: (01/27/2006 08:32)
    Gary:

We appreciate you bringing your safety concern to our attention regarding the cutter guard on the jointer/planer JP0610.

In the joiner application, the board is suppose to be on its edge, and should contact the cutter guard straight on and cause it to swing forward, as the board is passed through.

In the planer application where the board is laying flat on the surface, the wood is to be fed through the unit using push blocks (always),as depcited in the manual. If properly positioned on the work piece, the push blocks serve to push the guard forward, especially in situations where thinner stock is being planed. Therefor, there is not any type of upgrade or fix like you are requesting for the guard, since the existing guard is sufficiently adequate when the proper usage technique outlined in the owners manual instructions, is followed.

There is not a minimal thickness listed as being recommended in the planing applicaton, just the following capacities:

Maximum planing width: 6-1/8"
    Maximum Depth-of-cut/pass: 1/8"

So I guess this is the end of this although I am still concerned so I guess I better not plane anything less than 1" rough! Thanks for all the responses, it was super.
    Gary
    Last edited by gary_orgill; 01-27-2006, 05:49 PM.

Hi Gary, and welcome to the Ridgid Forum.

I have a Delta 6" jointer and have basically the same condition you do. I have also often wondered what the story is behind having so much space between the infeed table surface and the bottom edge of the guard. Just as you say, it seems to invite disaster when jointing thin stock.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Dangerous anyway

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ (for a change) but it seems to me that jointing stock that thin would be dangerous no matter how good the guard is. Just my $.02.
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I hear ya Lorax, but (without measuring) I believe the guard on my jointer has close to a 3/4" gap above the table. I'm gonna check it today as I have never actually measured it. I'll add to this post later today what I find.

Checked my Delta 6" Jointer, the gap between the top of the infeed table and the bottom of the leading edge of the guard is 11/16", and there is no way to reduce that. On the warning label on the guard it gives cautions about not running pieces shorter than 10" and to use push blocks for material less than 3" in thickness, but minimum thickness precautions. I agree with Lorax that running thin pieces of stock is risky and requires extra caution. I will have to review the manual and see if there are additional precautions given there with respect to minimum thicknesses, I seem to remember it was 1/4", but that sounds too thin and I might be thinking of the minimum thickness for my planer.

OK, here it is from the manual for my Delta model 37-275X 6" Jointer:

CAUTION: MAXIMUM DEPTH OF CUT SHOULD
        NOT BE MORE THAN 1/8" IN ONE PASS.

CAUTION: DO NOT PERFORM JOINTING
        OPERATIONS ON MATERIAL SHORTER THAN 10
        INCHES, NARROWER THAN 3/4 INCH, OR LESS
        THAN 1/2 INCH THICK.

Well, the 1/2" seems like a problem with the 11/16" space between the guard and the infeed table. The possibility of material getting jammed or hanging up on the guard looks like a real possibility.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 01-26-2006, 01:34 PM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        ---------
        ---------

Comment

Why not just take blade guard off when jointing material shorter than your suppose to joint? Take off 1/64" at a time, and as long as you use the push blocks it should fine as long as you are careful about it.

Comment

I don't think using a jointer w/o the blade guard is a good option (unless you are cutting a rabbet). Every time I use my jointer, I remember a guy I use to work with. He had half a thumb missing. He cut it off at the jointer.

Bob - I also looked at my Delta 37-190 instructions. Same dimensions for both edge jointing and face planing.

Comment

No thanks

Originally posted by JConover
              Why not just take blade guard off when jointing material shorter than your suppose to joint? Take off 1/64" at a time, and as long as you use the push blocks it should fine as long as you are careful about it.
              Fine, if ya wanna go thru life being called NUBBY!

Just my way of saying I do not believe this would be considered a safe operation.
              Lorax
              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

" Why not just take blade guard off when jointing material shorter than your suppose to joint? '

NEVER would I consider doing something like that with a jointer. I do not even think rabbiting with a jointer is a good idea, I'll use a router instead for rabbiting.

But thanks for the suggestion, Nubby!
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Ask Ridgid

I did send an email to Ridgid with this concern, we will see what they have to say if they answer it.

Comment

I think I will do the same with Delta about my jointer.
                    I'll report back if/when they reply.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Working...
                    X