X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curved roof for a playhouse

I'm building a Victorian playhouse for my daughter. The dimensions of the playhouse is 6' x 6' with a 12/12 gable roof pitch. I'd like to make the roof curve at the eaves by attaching curved tails to the rafter ends. I've searched the web for info on how to do this but can't find anything. Does anybody know a good way or a book or website that would have any info? Also could I use a metal roof or cedar shakes with this process or would I have to use asphalt shingles? I would really appreciate some advice.

Do you have a photo or a website that has the plans or something that we can see exactly what you are talking about?

I think I know the style roof edge treatment you are talking about, but if I could see a photo or drawing it would help.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Curved roof

Bob, I don't have any plans but I've attached a photo of what I'm talking about. Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

Hacksaw: You can accomplish this easily by cutting curved pieces and fastening them on top of your rafters. As far as roofing--metal is pretty well out-too ridgid, but cedar shakes can be used. (sawed ones not handsplits.) They work best if you can heat them in a tub of water. If you can't heat the tub, at least soak them. They bend much easier then. Usually have to soak at least 24 hours.

Comment

I've used 3/4 bc plywood for this in the past. Put two pieces togather and cut them with a jig or band saw. Then scab them to the rafters. You can also use 2x10 or 2x 12, but it might cost more.
          Randy

Comment

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!

Comment

Curved roof on playhouse

I think it was a Handyman magazine a couple of months ago that did a backyard shed with the curved kick at the bottom. I'll look through my library and see if I can find the article.
              Found it - The FAmily Handyman - July/August 2005 "Storage with Style" page 36. Their website is
              http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/act...00&siteId=1111
              You might be able to backorder the issue. Gives explicit details on the reafter tails and transitioning from the gable roof to the curved section. They used some kind of hex tabbed "shangle" (thier term not mine). They also give sources for materials at the end of the article.
              Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

I've seen wedges used, just angles to kick up the roof edge. Less work and still has similar effect. This would work with plywood sheathing. Shiplap would be better though especially if you curved the 2x6. It's a pretty small building, your probably going to use 2x4's for rafters? This is a drawing with 2x4 rafters and a 2x6 wedge. Scale gets to be a real issue with small buildings.

Comment

Working...
                X