Need some help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help

I am realatively new to woodworking. I have made some toy trucks, cutting boards and an end table with a drawer, but I need some help with sanding of curves. What is the best way to sand larger inside and outside radii? I have a 5" Random orbital and a hand held belt sander. I do have a drum for the drill press but with larger panels it make it tough to handle on my baby drill press. any suggestions would help....thanks....

I sand the outside radius with a ROS. For the inner radius, I use the drum sander with a couple of supports on both sides. If that's not an option, hand sand. If you have to much wood to remove by hand sanding, use a spokeshave or even a spoon Plane.

Comment

Sanding tip

I saw a tip in one of the woodworking magazines....goes something like this.Take the scrap (or a piece of it) from the curve you cut, attach sandpaper to it either with double sided tape or spray adhesive, hand sand.

How much sanding do you have to do? Is it really rough like from a band saw, or fairly smooth like from a router?

I usually make a template out of 1/4" masonite, layout the shape on the wood, cut it out on the bandsaw, attach the template with double sided tape and use a trim bit in the router to smooth it out. This method leaves very little sanding and you have your template for the next time you make the same thing. YMMV
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

These are some great ideas!! I got a Dremel from my Dad some time ago, and I've just started playing with it for things like sanding and shaping. These little power carvers are really amazing! It's great for sanding in tough areas, with the different sanding options they make.

Before, I've always used a scrap of wood with sandpaper and hand-sanded. Lorax's idea of using the template and router method is pretty nifty. Gonna have to try that.

Oh, and Cjh20, what is a ROS? Sorry to be such a "newbie" and ask the dumb questions, but..... well, there ya have it.....
        Last edited by VASandy; 01-27-2006, 09:10 AM. Reason: added question.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

ROS = Random Orbital Sander

I do believe.
          Although my wife informs me that I have been known to be wrong in the past.

I often use a Dremel for those types of things as well, depending on the detail I am looking for. I do like the idea Lorax threw out there though and will also have to give that a try in the future!
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Welcome

ROS = random orbital sander
            Lorax

Comment

used lorax's suggestion and it goes well but i like my dremel better for the small stuff.

Comment

This is my favorite.

Bob R
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's mine

Name:  b92786498af0c6424a7f5c1140e18e66.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  20.1 KB

Jerry
                  It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

And for those that don’t want to spend very much, there is always this one. I’ve had one for a couple years and it has worked better than anticipated.

Woodslayer

http://www.ryobitools.com/index.php/...g/tool/oss500/

Comment

Thanks for the help

Thanks to all the responded. I ended up making the 1/4" hardboard templates and using a flush trim bit. I worked great and now I am doing that for everything.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean, that method simplifies the process so much that I started making a template for almost all my projects that have an abnormal shape to them just for the time savings should I ever decide to make another one. I’m starting to acquire quite a little stack of them and had to go back and label them all so I wouldn’t get them mixed up if too much time elapses prior to using one again.

Woodslayer

Comment

I'm glad some of you folks found that suggestion helpful. I certainly can't take credit for it though. It's been around forever.

I hang my templates up high on the walls out of the way, kind of like modern art!
                          Lorax

Comment

Working...
                          X