No announcement yet.

Queston about dial indicator measurements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you checking the same spot on the blade? Is that what he should be doing?
    Sometimes it is better to appear like an idiot, then to open your mouth and prove someone right.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
    (When all else fails, play dead)

Comment

Re: Queston about dial indicator measurements

I too have also just started taking readings on my table and find that the table is out12 to 20thou front to back and out about 12thou side to side which is easy to fix. the arbor is out by about 9thou.
      Taking a reading from the blade it is out 2.5 to 3.5thou

Comment

00Buck,
        You are getting allot of good advice here. Let me add mine. Dial indicators never lie, but the set up can fool you. Repeatability is key. Never believe the indicator on a jury rig set up unless you change the set up several times and get a consistent reading with each set up. The indicator is only as good as the jig that supports it. You check for burrs and make sure the piece you are measuring is clean, also be sure the indicator is solidly mounted to a fixed point on your machine. I would urge you to find someone qualified with the indicator to check your arbor and qualify you before deciding to take it apart.
        Steve.

Comment

make sure your arbor is clean and the flanges are clean, jsut a speck of saw dust or some piece of label or even adhesive and easily throw things off that much,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Make Sure everything is 100% clean and 100% deburred.

Check the indicator is not sticking by lightly pushing the tip on the Indicator, the dial
            should come back to the same reading when released. If it does not the indicator needs cleaned
            adjusted or repaired.
            Check to see if the tip on the indicator stem is screwed in tight, sometimes
            they become loose, If the tip is loose you will never get a good reading.
            Make a mark on the blade, set the dial to zero.
            Set the dial to zero making sure you are not deflecting the blade or the indicator
            with your fingers while setting the indicator to zero.
            After setting the dial to zero everso lightly tap the case of the Indicator
            It may deflect but the pointer should come back to zero. If it does not
            come back to zero than something is loose in your indicator setup.
            rotate the blade and come back to the same marked spot.
            if it does not read zero at the marked spot where you started, I would suspect the
            the indicator setup.

Was the saw running ok before you checked the blade run-out
            or did checking the blade with the indicator open a Pandora's box
            on a saw that is running good to begin with?

Personally if everything on my saw was within .002 to .003
            I would be happier than a pig in swaller.

If you are happy with your cuts and have no vibration issues
            put the indicator back in it's box and make some sawdust.
            Last edited by Davet; 02-02-2008, 06:51 AM.

Comment

If you got 0.006" runout at the saw blade, then the chances that you have excessive runout at the arbor are practically zero. I doubt if the flatness specification for a Freud blade is that small. Because of the geometry of the situation, the runout at the saw blade will be any times greater than it is at the arbor shaft. I would say there is a problerm with your measurement technique at the arbor. Based on your readings at the blade, I say you do not have a problem of any kind. Just use the dial indicator to set rip fence and start cutting wood!

Comment

Personally I think dial indicators in a wood shop will make you crazy.

As someone mentioned repeatability is KEY and most people try to jerry jig their indicator setups. Vibration can jiggle the indicator enough to have it read differences. Then there is dust, paint variations and etc. Even these new products that fit into mitre slots, just by the fact that they slide in the slot says they have an error factor already built in.

Wood expands and contracts more than thousandths of an inch, in fact when talking about wood movement it is usually done in 1/16 of inch and more. So if your cutting and measuing to thousandths of an inch your wasting time and probably building something that will split apart because of the wood movement.

I know we we get caught up in trying to see if our machines can be dialed in to perfection (whatever that is) but in real life wood working working those close of tolerances are not needed and can actually be a hinderance.

I have a dial indicator but after frustrating myself over repeatedly trying to find that perfect setup I have put it away and started using my machines for what they were intended, cutting and forming wood, not as measuring projects. Now I can talk about my accomplishments, and what I have buiild. Not whether the manufacture of my machine made a machine I can dial into perfection.

Go to any production shop and ask the owner when the last time they checked their machines out with a dial indicator. I will be surprized if he will doesn't laugh at you. Then pick up a piece of good furniture made a 100 years ago and decide if you can duplicate the fit and finish keeping in mind the original was built using only hand tools.
                Rev Ed

Comment

Working...
                X