No announcement yet.

Next Tool or Dust Collection...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder what that Lorax character's been smokin'.

I would go with the HF for $160 and upgrade both bags or put a plastic bag on the bottom. Of course you still will want the chip collector. I've heard HF has a libertal return policy, so if you don't like it you can always return it.
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

The Bullet has been bitten!

Well fellas, i done went and took a chance on the HF 2 hp model that Tacman7 posted.
      I'm going to get some different bags for it (maybe the G5556 from Grizzly).
      If anyone has bag suggestions PLEASE post them.
      I'm also going to get the seperator too http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...5&cookietest=1

Bags!?! We don't need no stinkin bags!!!
      Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

The Griz has the same seperator lid for the same price (G3376 ). You could save the shipping from Rockler and get it from Grizzly.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Yeah. I saw it on Amazon for that price too. That darn thing is everywhere.
          I'll probably go with Amazon and save the shipping.

What do you think on bags Bob? What's your input for those?
          Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

I don't have bags on mine, I use the 2 micron Pleated Canister Filter
            that came with the unit and the plastic bag on the bottom, and a seperator on a 30 Gal. trashcan like you are looking at.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=4954
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

El Cheapo remote control for your DC

I have been using for over a year now this RF wireless remote on my Delta 50-850A 1-1/2 HP dust collector and it has worked well. Its rated for 1500 watts and I checked my DC with a clamp-on ammeter and it only draws 10.4A on startup and when running its 5.4A, so well below the rating of the switch. I bought this last Christmas (2004) when it was on an after holiday sale for $12.99. It can be programmed to one of four different digital control codes. The remote is a decent size, a little bigger than most car remotes. I use a key chain clip-on to hang it from my belt while in the shop so it is always within reach and I am not hunting for the remote.

It has worked great and saved me many steps.

Name:  e2897767ee9f17b3aec694c73ba4f9c6.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  13.1 KB

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...archId=1259223

One thing I would caution about using this or any remote control of this type, don't use them to control power to a power tool. Since there are only four different control codes and this thing has a 150 foot range on the remote (they claim, I haven't tested to that distance), it would be possible for your neighbor to have one on his outdoor lighting and maybe start or stop you equipment inadvertently (or maybe intentionally if you weren't friends ), opening the possibility for injury or at the least damage to whatever you were running through the machine.

On something like a fan or my dust collector, I don't see this as a problem. If it were to happen all that would occur in my case is the DC would shut down or come on, and this is not going to cause me or anyone else injury. I do however always turn the power off at the switch on the DC so that I don't come home from work one day and find out my DC has been running all day (or night) wasting electricity.

So, you can buy a DC remote for what like $60 or more, or you can take a look at this remote and if your DC current draw is within the rated 1500 watts, save some money.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 04-02-2009, 08:44 PM. Reason: verified the link is still good.

Comment

What do you think?...

Bob, the lit says the HF DC is 20amps (110v). Do you think the remote would work with this DC?
                Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Nope.

Mine is a 1-1/2 HP and supposedly 15A, I doubt it is either. My measurement of 10.4A on a cold start seems low for a 1.5 HP motor.

For your DC 20A x 110V = 2200 watts

Last edited by Bob D.; 10-19-2007, 03:57 PM.

Comment

ah phooie!

That figures!

So does that mean i will have to look at the pricey kind?
                    Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

In a word... maybe

It means you have to look for a switch that is rated for your equipment. I guess the point I am trying to make is you can buy something which is marketed for another use (controlling outdoor holiday lighting) and with a little homework and a quick calc determine if it can save you $30 or $40 or more over the cost of a Dust Collector remote switch.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5117

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H2797

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11052

Oh, I should add that my line voltage here is 125V AC. High I know but I have checked it many times with a calibrated DMM. Gives me that little extra for the TS and other tools.

125V * 10.4A = 1300W

That same 1300 watts if I had 110V line voltage would draw 11.8A
                      1300W / 110V = 11.818A
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 02-02-2006, 10:47 PM.

Comment

20 or 14

Originally posted by nobunaga-sama
                        Bob, the lit says the HF DC is 20amps (110v). Do you think the remote would work with this DC?
                        2 HP INDUSTRIAL DUST COLLECTOR
                        Creates a Dust-free Atmosphere

Powerful 2 HP dust collector creates a dust free working environment. Develops over ten times the suction of most shop vacuums. Works with a 4'' hose to pick up large chips from jointers, saws, shapers and planers. Hose sold separately.
                        • Locking casters
                        • Lockable on/off toggle switch
                        • Motor: 2 HP, 110V, 14 amps, single phase
                        • Bag capacity: 70 gal.
                        • Air flow: 1600 CFM
                        • Single stage
                        • Filtration: 30 micron
                        • Hose inlet: 4''
                        • Overall dimensions: 75-1/2''H x 33''L x 22''W
                        • Shipping weight: 145 lbs.
                        • CSA-US certified
                        I read "14 amps". Where did you see 20? Not pickin' on ya. Really wanna know.

PS: 20 amps @ 115 v = 3 HP.
                        Lorax

Comment

I like the
                          "Creates a Dust-free Atmosphere" *
                          * free of particles over 30 microns

Basically this equates to small items like beer cans and hard hats

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
                            Basically this equates to small items like beer cans and hard hats
                            and cats!!

Did you notice it's certified by the Confederate States of America?
                            Lorax

Comment

From the manual...

I snagged the info from the manual (they have it posted online).

I read "14 amps". Where did you see 20? Not pickin' on ya. Really wanna know.
                              Motor 2 HP, 20 AMPS Peak, Single Phase,
                              60 Hz, 110 Volts
                              RPM’s 3450
                              Power Cord 5-1/2 Feet, 16 AWG x 3C Gauge
                              Bag Dimensions Top = 19-1/2” Dia. x 30” L,
                              Bottom = 19-1/2” Dia. x 30-7/8” L
                              Intake 4 Inch ID
                              Exhaust Diameter 4 Inch ID With Screen
                              Overall Dimensions 75-1/2” H x 33” L x 22” W
                              2 Collection Bags, 4 Swivel Casters, 2 Hex Wrenches

"Look away, look away, look away Dixie land. "
                              Yeeeee haaaaaaa!!
                              Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Ahhh so

OK
                                Peak amps is the amps a motor draws when it first starts up.
                                Running amps (or whatever it's called) is 14.
                                Ever wonder how Sears can claim a 14 amp 115 v motor has 4.4 HP?
                                Lorax

Comment

Working...
                                X