Next Tool or Dust Collection...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Tool or Dust Collection...

Hello all. First let me say that I'm learning quite a bit from this forum and truly appreciate all the knowledge shared here.

While reading other posts, I have begun to look into the next step in building a better shop for this hobbyist.

It seemed pretty clear that a planer/jointer was likely a good next step at first. Right now HD and Lowe's are really the only regular source of lumber for me and I haven't even graduated to using oak yet! My wife loves the look of pine and oak. No exotic woods expected for me anytime soon. Now it seems the planer/jointer may not be the next tool to buy - right?

Anyway with regard to dust collection - I've been using my shop-vac to capture the larger dust particles and chips since aquiring my TS3650 but don't have it hooked up to anything else. It was just really cool to be able to hook up the hose of the shop-vac to the table saw!

Perhaps dust collection is the best direction to look for me at this time. I had pneumonia last year for the first time and my lungs seem to be rather sensitive since then. My shop is located in one bay of the two car garage and moved out to both bays when a project is underway.

Whew...that's a lot of background info, but I hope for good reason.

Here's an article I just read: Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!

Skip

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic...0&type=article
    Stay well and play well.
    Skip

Next Tool or Dust Collection

I would recommend that a good quality dust collector be your next purchase. You indicate that your lungs seem more sensitive since your Pneumonia so I would think that a dust collector would be the best idea. There are a number of different models and capacities available so you should be able to pick one that will work well for you. I would also recomend that if you can you get one with a 1 micron cartridge filter instead of a top bag. I think that the filter would remove a greater percentage of the fine particles that are the most hazardous to your health.

Just my opinion for what it's worth

Ken

Comment

I'm going to weigh I on the side of the DC too. The lungs are not going to be happy with dust any time soon and, if like mine, will be come increasingly sensitive to the point coughing till I heave. The site you posted is pretty inclusive - hadn't seen it before. I spent a lot of time reading everything I could find to the point that my Harbor Freight DC sat idle months longer than it should have. I was frozen with indecision or, at least, fear of the wrong decision. I decided to just get something in use and improve it as I saw the need. I plumbed up my DC with 4" PVC but now wish that I had used the 'sewer and drain' pipe - cheaper. I bought a Woodcrafters starter kit of fittings - Harbor Freights are cheaper - and got it up and running. My lungs are happy and my shop is much cleaner. You can't even tell that I've run the planer or the jointer. Oh yea, If you plan to use anything other than professionally produced ducting or hoses, expect a hassle with the connectors. Read everything here and on other forums about what others have done and keep a cool head.
      Later,
      Chiz
      Last edited by ironhat; 01-27-2006, 09:15 PM.
      Later,
      Chiz
      https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

DC next - jointer/planer later?

Ken and Chiz,
        Thanks for the responses. After I read my own post a couple times it became apparent that a DC unit is likely the way to go with the next few dollars I have to spend. Sometimes when you write it down and "air it out" the answer becomes clearer. Thanks for backing up what I suspected.

Now, i'll be reading other posts more closely regarding dust collection.

On a side note, I have taken to wearing a mask more often and do have a respirator with replaceable cartridges. I'll keep them close until I do something about DC.

On the jointer/planer issue - Seems like it's not a big issue if I'm buying preplaned Oak, Doug Fir, Poplar and Maple at HD or Lowes' Yes? No?

Thanks.
        Stay well and play well.
        Skip

Comment

For the most part buying presized lumber saves the need for a planer/jointer. Definitely go with a good DC system. I highly recommend the Grizzly 1029 2 hp with 2.5 micron bags. It comes with wheels so you can move it around if you don't have a set location and want to pipe it in. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1029Z
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

That Griz DC looks similar to my Delta. I added the trash can separator in line with mine but wanted it still to be mobile so I put a platform on the base of my DC to hold a 30 Gal trash can. Its just a piece of 3/8 ply and some 1x2 oak scraps cantilevered out on the side opposite the motor. Now I can roll my DC around when I need to and the trash can goes with it, much easier than dragging the can around.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

You might want to take a look at the offerings from PennState Industries. (www.pennstateind.com 1-800-656-4767). They have a pretty decent catalog with good information. I believe that 1 micron bags are now pretty much standard on their equipement.

From what I understand, you'll want a minimum of around 1200 cfm for a small shop. These numbers are often exagerated, so you might want to examine the specs carefully and ask around for anyone with experience with particular products. I'm currently saving for a unit and hopefully will make that part of my shop setup this year.

Keep those lungs as dust free as possible,

CWS

Comment

Speaking of Penn State...

I was looking at the DC2000B on Penn State's website and it's selling for $259.95 with $60 shipping.
                It stacks up pretty close to to the Gizz but it's $45 cheaper.
                I REALLY like the Gizz 1029 (that was going to be my choice) but the Penn State DC2000 is about the same for less money and it comes with 1 micron bags.

Does anyone already have the DC2000 model? If so how do you like it?
                Anyone have opinions on the DC2000 compared to the rizz 1029? If you were in my shoes, which would you choose? (wow, nice rhyme)
                Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Thanks for the great info guys. I do have a confession to make. Last night I had to make a little pre-DC tool purchase. Although DC is an important issue I need to upgrade my router. It's a Craftsman 1/2 hp with a broken lock switch and a cracked plastic base that had been superglued several times. I bought it used for 20 bucks and have used it for 5 years or so! Just ordered the Dewalt DW618pk fixed/plunge combo w/dust collection. Lots of favorable reviews.

Does this make me a bad person!?
                  Stay well and play well.
                  Skip

Comment

I'd never consider a DC system to be a mistake at anytime. It's also probably inevitable....better sooner than later IMO.

Comment

Hey guys. Today I spoke w/ Pennstateind.com on the phone to get a recommendation on a unit for my garage/shop.

The guy on the phone seemed quite knowledgeable but tried to sell me a cyclone unit for twice what I was looking to spend. He seemed really against the DC units vs a cyclone but then said he'd recommend the 1.5 HP blah, blah blah, $299 unit.

any thoughts?
                      Thanks.
                      Skip

Originally posted by nobunaga-sama
                      I was looking at the DC2000B on Penn State's website and it's selling for $259.95 with $60 shipping.
                      It stacks up pretty close to to the Gizz but it's $45 cheaper.
                      I REALLY like the Gizz 1029 (that was going to be my choice) but the Penn State DC2000 is about the same for less money and it comes with 1 micron bags.

Does anyone already have the DC2000 model? If so how do you like it?
                      Anyone have opinions on the DC2000 compared to the rizz 1029? If you were in my shoes, which would you choose? (wow, nice rhyme)
                      Stay well and play well.
                      Skip

Comment

Surprise, surprise

well, gosh who wouldn't want the cyclone unit over the DC, but in the real world... It's just like when the magazines do reviews on a tool. They have like 5 at around the normal price (like $200) then there is always that one that's 3 times more expensive and guess which one is the "Editor's Choice". Well DUH, of course i'm going to want the one that's $600, but i'm not going to get that one because IT'S $600 DOLLARS!!
                        Yeah, I want the cyclone unit... You want the cyclone unit... We ALL want the cyclone unit, but can we afford one - not me. Do we have room for one - not me.
                        I'm curious why he picked the 1 1/2 hp at $299 for you instead of the 2 hp at $259. It's stronger, has a larger impeller and seems to have all the same features. Did you tell him you wanted to stay 110 with your DC Skip?

Now if i could just get that 30' x 40' shop to put my $600 tool in...
                        Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

I've been thinking about getting some sort of Dust Collection set up.

I'm looking at a harbor freight tools. I know... but I've had good luck with some of their tools.

This thing is cheap and moves a lot of air but it has 30 micron filter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378

So there's a lot getting by it. The only way I would use it, and in my situation I'm considering it is to locate it outside the shop. I've been wanting to put my air compressor in a little shed outside my shop. I live out in the stix so don't have to worry about the neighbors. I guess a cabinet/closet with outside ventilation would work as well.

Has anyone tried one of these units?

Comment

Sama,
                            I was all set to get the $259 unit if he said it would meet my needs. Maybe it was you who posted here in the first place about that unit - not sure. Anyway maybe he works on commission - dunno.

110 is probably what it will be. Is that an issue with either unit we're talking about here?

You've sold me on the $259 unit and I've got the money in my pocket. Just say the word and I'm buying it!!!!

Skip

Originally posted by nobunaga-sama
                            well, gosh who wouldn't want the cyclone unit over the DC, but in the real world... It's just like when the magazines do reviews on a tool. They have like 5 at around the normal price (like $200) then there is always that one that's 3 times more expensive and guess which one is the "Editor's Choice". Well DUH, of course i'm going to want the one that's $600, but i'm not going to get that one because IT'S $600 DOLLARS!!
                            Yeah, I want the cyclone unit... You want the cyclone unit... We ALL want the cyclone unit, but can we afford one - not me. Do we have room for one - not me.
                            I'm curious why he picked the 1 1/2 hp at $299 for you instead of the 2 hp at $259. It's stronger, has a larger impeller and seems to have all the same features. Did you tell him you wanted to stay 110 with your DC Skip?

Now if i could just get that 30' x 40' shop to put my $600 tool in...
                            Stay well and play well.
                            Skip

Comment

Wow for me!?!

Wow Skip, that's awful nice of you, but you really don't need to buy me a DC.
                              I appreciate the thought though...

Lorax told me before that normally a 2 hp or greater motor runs under 220 where the motors under 2 hp generally are set up for 110. That's why the Harbor Freight DC seems odd to me.

Heck i don't know anymore than you do about these things. I still have to buy one myself (unless of course you REALLY want to buy me one after all ).

But, after reading through both units, i just don't see why i would want to pay more for less . Can ya dig what i'm yackin?!?

My big hurdles are 220 or 110 (2 hp or 1.5 hp) and Grizzly or Penn State... Or take that money and buy one of the MANY other tools i need (bandsaw, jointer, planer, mortiser, etc...).
                              Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Working...
                              X