X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sanding Sleeve Truth

I just bought one of the sanders in Richardson,Tx. and the HD. here had both the belts and the rolls. The rolls came in a package and were hanging on a little rack near the picture displays of the rigid tools. The belts were hanging with the other manufacturers belts in a different section.

Comment

The belts and the rolls can both be had through mail-order houses. I've found my local HD does now carry the rolls and regularly keeps them in stock. There aren't so many choices in grits as you'd find in the mail-order places, but they're there and they're handy. The price is ok as I remember, too.

The sander is one of the handiest things I've purchased. It gets regular use and is real nice for free-handing of shapes. It lets me see quickly if my rough ideas will work. It's also real darn handy for sanding inside curvy pieces.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnSyl View Post
        I was looking into purchasing. Thanks folks you have all convinced me to NOT purchase this item. When I visited the couple of home depots in my region; no one in their tool department could answer the basic question of how to get replacement sleeves.

Oversite, ignorance, or plain stupidity of Ridgid and their distributers....... ????
        Your loss if you don't get one of these machines. You can't blame Ridgid because a local HD does not carry the accesories for tools.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

A little off subject...
          For those of you who own this tool, would you recommend it to others? I'm thinking about asking for this for Christmas from my wife & it seems like a pretty good price at $199. It would be nice to not have to mess around with my drill press every time I need a drum sander.

Does it do good with sanding curved surfaces with the drum as well as flat surfaces with the belt?

Thanks for the input!

Comment

I've used this sander on every project I do except for pens! It does great on curves and makes the band saw much more useful as I can now sand the curves to final size. I find myself using the belt often with small parts to get them square. Actually, I do use it for pen blanks. I use the belt on the pen blanks to sand them to the tube after they've dried.

You have to be good about maintenance on the tool, though. You have to keep the sander mechanism clean. About every week, I'll go in with the vacuum and suck out all the built-up sanding dust. I also keep one of those sandpaper cleaning sticks nearby. The gummy ones that clean out the built-up sanding waste from the grit. This keeps my paper going for a lot longer.

I've also used the sander to final-sand the miter cuts for frames. The angle it keeps is very consistent and it makes a very handy tool for that purpose. Since my old Delta miter saw can't keep a consistent angle, I cut my frames a bit long and use the Ridgid OSS to finalize the length and angle. The miter gauge from the table saw works perfectly in the track on the sander's table, although you have to take the T fitting off the end. I use an old miter gauge from the Shopsmith although it's a bit tight. Since you don't push the miter gauge around, you only use it to maintain a straight up-and-down, it works well. A shop-made jig work work fine for this purpose, actually.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
            X