X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding Sleeve Truth

Well the wife presented me with an EB4424 as a birthday gift.
    I instantly phoned HD where she purchased it, to inquire about replacement sleeves. Is it true that they are only available on special order.
    Is there a retail possibility I am unaware of either in Canada or Clearwater FL.

Thanks

Jake

Check out www.supergrit.com or call them at 800-822-4003 and have them send you one of their catalogs. They have a full selection of sanding drums and sleeves.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

O K

I tried the above site and was unable to find any sanding sleeves (premade)
      I have visited just about every site to get the sizes of each sleeve (company). I have yet to find 4" long sleeves. Everyone seems to have their own size(length) 51/2", 9", 3", etc. So maybe it is true they have to be ordered but I don't see them on the ridgid site either.

hmmmm.....

Thanks

Comment

I have the same sander and I buy my sleeves at Rockler (www.rockler.com) and they fit fine with no modifications needed.
        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Sears has sleeves in 4" and 4.5" lengths and various diameters.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I got mine here.

http://store.sandpaper.ca/catalogue/...words=spindles

Jerry
            It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

thanks all that will be fine, the last post is in canada and much easier for me I will probably buy from above here due to the lack of B.S. with exchange etc.

Jake
              Last edited by Dr.Quest; 02-05-2006, 01:25 AM.

Comment

I, too, am considering buying the Ridgid oscillating spindle sander but wil have to reconsider if sleeves are not readily available. It seems like a terrific oversight on the part of Ridgid to build a machine that doesn't use available sleeves. If they are going to do that then they should provide a readily available supply of their 'special' size. Or is the problem Home Depot? If Ridgid lets them sell the machine, they should make them sell the accessories

Comment

If you know the inside diameter and length that you need and what grit specs you want, try looking in your yellow pages phone book under both Industrial Supplies and Woodworking Machinery. There are a good many such companies that sell from their web sites or out of catalogs. If one of you has a correct size sleeve, please post the exact size and what grit(s) you want. I'm sure one of us can find a good source and especially in the USA. FedEx, UPS and USPS don't take that long as long as the seller does have stock and ships things promptly.

Comment

The belts are no problem. I got a couple from Woodcraft, but I'm sure you could pick them up just about anywhere. Rockler has a whole page of them http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2229

For the sanding drums, a 4" or better of 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1&1/2", 2" (what came with the sander):
                    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11047

The top 1/2" will have to be cut off of the ones from Rockler...but that's not a big deal. I have to cut sheets for my palm sander....I don't see that it'd be a real problem for the spindle sander.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Re: Sanding Sleeve Truth

For the few of you who might be Canadians reading this thread, 150 grit sleeves of the correct size are readily available on the shelves of your local Canadian Tire store. I was pleasantly surprised (aka shocked!) to make that discovery last night while browsing their abrasives dept. Reasonably priced, as well, as near as I can tell by checking out other sources. House of Tools also has them in a wider variety of grits, if you are out West or if you don't mind mail-order.

Comment

When I bought my sander last month at HD they had 2 sets of the sleeves in stock. I bought 1 set and the other day I noticed they had 3 sets in stock. I talked to the new tool crib manager and he says if we sell it we will carry the expenables for it. I know they carry and have carried the knives for the TP1300 but still no knives for the JP601 but those will be coming according to him. I think this is part of the change that HD is making with the new CEO.
                        SSG, U.S. Army
                        Retired
                        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Just got back from the local Home Depot. They had the sandinding sleeves for the Ridgid sandes. I forget the package number but it had 10 sleeves in it, 5-150 grit and 5-80 grit. 14.99 for the package. Next time I'm there I'll write down the stock number.

Comment

I was looking into purchasing. Thanks folks you have all convinced me to NOT purchase this item. When I visited the couple of home depots in my region; no one in their tool department could answer the basic question of how to get replacement sleeves.

Oversite, ignorance, or plain stupidity of Ridgid and their distributers....... ????

Comment

"Oversite, ignorance, or plain stupidity of Ridgid and their distributers....... ????"

Probably a combination of oversight and not communicating to those who man the tool crib how to respond to such questions. A little sales coaching once a week for a few minutes discussing situations such as this would give the Orange Aprons the right answers to these questions.

This is all predicated on the assumption that they retain this information and use it in their day-to-day encounters with consumers. I know that might be asking a lot, but I can dream can't I?
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X