X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collection TS3650

I am working on a dust collection for my TS3650 wanted to know what you guys think. Its not done yet but only because all of the close hardware stores are closed today. I plan on putting a 4" PVC fitting on the back where it is open. I have an enclosure made for around the motor already but it isn't installed in the pics. I was trying to think of a good method to fill in around the front opening were the pointer comes out. Do you think maybe some sort of foam or dust broom bristles mounted around it would work.
    Attached Files

You will get very little dust coming out of the front of the saw as it is now. I wouldn't even worry about enclosing the front at all. By leaving the little opening that there is there alone, you'll more than likely be helping your DC motor a little by not making it work so hard. You do need to have some openings otherwise your DC will turn your TS inside out and suck it up.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I only wish my dust collection system was strong enough to do that but you are right I cut some stuff today and nothing came out of the front opening so I will probably just leave it be. I can tell you this it is nice not having the herculift covered in dust anymore. Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem with going out to your shop to clean and then making a mess and cleaning again. i did this 3 times today everytime I cleaned I found something else to build, I would be mad at myself but but I am finally getting my shop were I want it and every new tool, jig or project I build only fuels my love of this hobby.

Comment

This woodworking hobby (and any addiction for that matter) has many facets to it. Part of it seems to be the end result - the fact that "I made something useful." The rituals are just as addicting - i.e. cleaning the shop, making a mess, cleaning again, waxing the table, sharpening tools, etc. No, I don't think you are alone!
        Stay well and play well.
        Skip

Comment

Looks like a good idea. I need to do something for my 2424. Ah...the endless string of to-dos.

Pete

Comment

mijfwb, your solution looks very similar to the one I came up with about a year ago when I got tired of the dust flying every which way too. I am in the process of bending up a set of sheet metal panels to close in the bottom of the cabinet.

You can see parts of my prototype in the photos here, and also how I connected my DC system to the TS;
            http://home.comcast.net/~sparc/woodworking.htm

I was thinking of how to close off that wide slot for the bevel adjustment also. I'd like to get the TS cabinet down to where the only openings are the back and the blade opening, which will be more than enough for the DC to run at full velocity. I think your brush bristle idea is a possibility. I had been thinking of using a piece of vinyl with a slit on the radius of the adjuster stem path and attaching that inside the cabinet somehow. It needs to be held securely, you don't want whatever you put in there coming loose and getting wrapped up in the drive belt

There's more openings around the top edge of the cabinet where it meets the bottom side of the table. I saw a suggestion of stuffing some thick, firm foam into these openings, but I'm not sure if that's a safe method or if this opening is enough to worry about.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob D. yea your solution looks like what I am trying to do. Maybe I saw yours and didn't even realize were the idea came from. Either way that is exactly what I want. As for the opening in the front I think I am going to just leave it for now. Thanks for your replys guys.

Comment

Bob's Set Up

Bob,
                I love the pics of your shop you have posted! You're giving me lots of ideas.
                2 questions:
                1) Does the kerosene heater work well for you? I'm in an attached 2 car garage and HD has them on sale (too much warm weather I guess) down from $129 to $75.
                2) Please tell me more about your router table extension or point me to a thread on it.
                Thanks!
                Skip

You can see parts of my prototype in the photos here, and also how I connected my DC system to the TS;
                http://home.comcast.net/~sparc/woodworking.htm
                Stay well and play well.
                Skip

Comment

This is definately giving me some ideas! I've been told that Dust Collection is critical, and I'm finding that to be true. So far, I've been using the Ridgid wet/dry vac as a portable dust collector. It does ok, but is somewhat limited. It's a great wet/dry vac, and has exceeded my expectations for it's usefulness, but it's time to get serious with some real dust collection. Mainly so I can then let the Ridgid vac out of the shop to help out with the tasks it was intended for!

I'm thinking of the Grizzly 2hp Cyclone collector. My question is, do I need to also get a seperate filter unit? I'm easily confused, and can't quite picture what the filter would do when used along with the Griz 2hp Cyclone.

I also echo Skipsax's question on the router table extension! I'd love to get something like that for my 3650.
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

" Maybe I saw yours and didn't even realize were the idea came from. "

Hey, I'm not laying claim to the design, I'm happy to see what I came up with independently confirmed by someone else doing the same. Tells me I'm not too far gone .... YET!!

I used a closet flange that I bolted to the hardboard panel on the back of the saw. I filled in the space between the brace and added a piece of 3/4 angle across the bottom. This was to stiffen everything up and created a ledge for the bottom piece that slopes down from the front to the back. To make the connection to my DC hose, I use one of those quick connect hose adapters which fits snugly inside a 4" PVC fitting. This lets me plug/unplug the hose and switch between two other machines that are serviced by this one hose, my jointer and the planer. I went this route because I don't want a bunch of hoses laying around on the floor and I only use one of these machines at a time. It is a PITA at times having to switch the hose from one to the other, but some sacrifices have to be made. At least I have something setup and it is great the amount of dust that this system grabs, I used to spend a half hour each time I worked in the shop cleaning up, now its just a minute or two and so easy, but the big plus is breathing easier. I still don't have an air cleaner, someday soon hopefully.

If I were just putting a new TS together I would do something different I think.

On the Kerosene heater, it takes the chill off when it is below 32F, but below that it can't keep up, may shop is not insulated yet, but I hope to make the time to do that this spring or summer. Above 32F, it will bring the temp up in the shop (24'"x24' with 10-1/2 ft ceiling) slowly. If I am out there all day then after a few hours it will get to 50F. I want to get a propane heater (no Natural Gas run in my area) and use a ceiling hung forced air heater, like the Modine Hot Dawg, which I believe goes for about $450 plus the vent pipe and piping required for gas hookup.

I don't have any first-hand experience with Modine equipment, so don't know if I will go with this make unit or something similar. Maybe someone else will chime in and let us know what they think of Modine's units. One plus for me is they are made in the USA. It can be vented through the wall or roof which I like, and can be mounted with as little as 1" topside clearance, so head room is not compromised.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-30-2006, 12:14 PM.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Hey Bob, the HotDawg is a great unit and the double insulated exhaust vent allows a nearly zero clearance cut through the wall. THe pipe draws combustion air in around the exhaust so it never gets warm. BTW, Bob, I just posted a PM to you but I'll ask it here for the benefit of all. I noticed the aluminum spacers between the main table casting and the wings. Are these to cantilever the supports for the table extension that you created? Are these supports made of angle stock and if so, weren't they severely weakened by the notching required to get around the fence rails?
                      Later,
                      Chiz

EDIT: Apoligies, Bob. I located your initial posts and excellent explanation of your application. All is explained there!
                      Last edited by ironhat; 01-31-2006, 10:48 AM.
                      Later,
                      Chiz

Comment

BobD this is a little off topic but you may want to look at the new UDAP line of heaters from Reznor. I just had a 30,000 BTU natural gas ceiling hung unit installed in my 20X20 9 1/2 ft ceiling garage and it is excellent. Reznor offers the units in natural gas and propane configurations. My unit is very quiet and will heat my shop with no problems. I have no problem in keeping the shop at 65-70 degrees when the temp is 0-5 degrees outside.

regards

Ken

Comment

Did you remove the dust shroud around the blade when you build your own dust collection?

Comment

Originally posted by mikesandy
                            Did you remove the dust shroud around the blade when you build your own dust collection?
                            I left mine in place. I think it helps direct the dust downwards and the dust collector picks it up from the enclosure I built.

I will look into the UDAP line of heaters, thanks for the tip Ken.
                            ---------------
                            ---------------
                            ---------
                            ---------

Comment

I also left my dust shroud installed, at first I had a problem with it shooting saw dust around the leg but I installed a deflector to prevent it and now about 98% of my saw dust is caught by the DC.

Comment

Working...
                              X