X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bits for routing melamine

Are there any bits available that are suitable for routing melamine without chipping the board or is that just wishful thinking? I haven't tried it yet, it was just a forethought.
    If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun.
    -Ben Franklin

What type of routing are you wanting to do?
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Pretty much just joining, I'm making enclosures to hold small tortoises and other reptiles in. I wanted to keep a clean appearance and didn't want to have chipped edges.
      -Ben Franklin

Comment

Melamine will dull the bits much quicker than wood will so as I see it you have two choices. You could either purchase high quality bits like Whiteside, Amana or CMT and have them resharpened for future projects or buy some inexpensive bits and trash them when your project is finished. Because the lesser quality bits will dull faster, you may also run the risk of getting some chipping or chatter with them.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. In the past I have just screwed the pieces together and put corner molding on my edges but I was now wanting to get a little fancier with my new router. Melamine is such a great product to use for reptile tanks because it cleans up easy and it won't harbor bacteria like woods will. Looks like I'll have to invest in some really good bits. Thanks for the input.
          -Ben Franklin

Comment

I have routed a chamfered edge on a melamine surface before and it worked fine, no chip-out at all, it was using either a Whiteside or Infinity bit, since I own that profile in both brands I can’t be sure which one I used.

Woodslayer

Comment

Working...
            X