X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on planing wood

I just got the Ridgid 13" thickness planer, and I was just wondering something. From time to tiem when I run wood through, it will give me a deep gouge (upwards of 1/8" deep) about 3 inches in from the start...not mattering if i'm attempting to take off 1/16" or 1/32". (Full turn of the handle or a half turn... I think those measurements are right)..

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks,
    Chris

My guess is that it happens more on longer boards than shorter ones. What is happening is the weight of the board end that is not supported is causing the lead edge of the board to lift off the platen and into the knife until it is pressed back down to the platen by the outfeed roller. If you try to put a bit of upward pressure on the trailing edge of the board as you feed it into the planer the snipe (that 3" of gouged board) will be reduced or eliminated

Comment

Apparently what it is, is the snipe. It happens on long as well as short boards, but i've noticed also if i only do a 1/2 turn of the handle it doesn't happen, if i do a full turn it does. So I guess i'll just make shallower cuts.

Comment

Chris, you might also check the infeed (and outfeed) table alignment. Also, make sure the cutter head is locked. I know these sound like obvious solutions, but are typically the cause of my snipe.

Comment

I had the same problem and I fixed it for me by declining the infeed table slightly so the wood almost goes in downhill so to speak. It fixed it for me completly and I just have a cheap Ryobi 13" planer

Comment

This may seem like a stupid question, but are you locking the cutter head before each cut? I sometimes make my first few cuts without the cutter head locked, and can get some pretty bad snipe. With the cutter head locked, I never have enough to notice.

Comment

Having the same problem with mine but using an outfeed setup.

Will have to pay more attention to this question.

Good one.

saved a another new thread.

I too take small cuts and still snipe.

Not hijacking here.

Clovishound are you a point Collector?

If so I am also one.
              Last edited by Reef12; 02-06-2006, 07:47 AM.
              Not responsible for speeling mistakes
              Jeff

Comment

reef12, Yes, I'm a river diver here in SC and am a little nutzoid about paleo era points (That's 12,000 - 14,000 year old cutting tools for the uninitiated). The avatar you see is a Redstone I found several years ago. It's made from a beautiful dark green metavolcanic stone which is only found several hundred miles from where I found it. Just goes to show that guys were really into their tools even 12,000 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Clovishound
                  reef12, Yes, I'm a river diver here in SC and am a little nutzoid about paleo era points (That's 12,000 - 14,000 year old cutting tools for the uninitiated). The avatar you see is a Redstone I found several years ago. It's made from a beautiful dark green metavolcanic stone which is only found several hundred miles from where I found it. Just goes to show that guys were really into their tools even 12,000 years ago.

Same here but no diving in this river Arkansas.

Have found some great Daltons and Gary points.

Last one was a 6 1/2 spear point.

But getting harder now as they put up homes across from where we use to park.

But have found a bunch of great Mammoth and Mastodon stuff jaws teeth and such

Great find on the clovis,here every now and then somebody will find one ,not me as of yet but time will prevail I hope.

Good to see somebody else interested in {OLD TOOLS}
                  Not responsible for speeling mistakes
                  Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X