Router for inlay work.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router for inlay work.

I'm fairly new to woodworking. I'm building jewelry and tea boxes and want to put inlay on them. I'm looking at buying a new router ( I have an old fixed base Craftsman) that will plunge (to use with an inlay kit) and preferably has 1/2 bit capability for future table use. I don't want to spend a bunch, but would rather bit the bullet now, rather than be sorry later. I'm looking at the 1 3/4 Porter Cable with both bases, or the Dewalt 2 1/4 hp with both bases. I'm leaning toward the Dewalt. Also if anyone has a cheaper, quality method for inlay, I'm all ears.

Clovishound,
    Although I'm not doing the same kind of work you plan to do, I just ordered the Dewalt 2 1/3 hp combo. All the reading of posts, ratings and reviews pointed to that for me. I intend to use it for furniture making. After it arrives from UPS, I intend to put it through its paces.

Hope that helps.
    Skip
    Stay well and play well.
    Skip

Comment

skipsax,

Where did you get your Dewalt 2 1/3 combo from?

Jerry
      It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

oops! 4,not 3. 2 1/4! Ebay new.
        Stay well and play well.
        Skip

Comment

I have the Porter Cable 1 3/4 HP combo (fixed and plunge) and you can mail off for the D handle also. It has been great for me so far, and I have yet to be disappointed with any feature of it. There are plenty of jigs for it, and oddly enough, looking at books at Barnes & Noble on routing most of them show the author using a PC.

Comment

Jalon,
            What about the depth setting? It seems a little funky with the entire motor assembly rotating, and the ones on display seem a little rough. That is the main objection I have to the PC. I just don't know whether I want to spend an additional 40 bucks for the Dewalt.

Comment

You can make a little guide if you like, It's basically a 6 inch machinist ruler on the board, with a notch cutout for the bit. you place it over the bit (with the router upside down) and adjust as necessary. Works pretty good. I saw a similar one in either Wood magazine this month or Fine Woodworking, can't remember...I'll get back.

As for the motor rotating, I don't mind, but you have to make up your own mind. Do you know anyone else with one, maybe you can try them out?

HTH,
              Jalon

Comment

Woodcraft had a sale Saturday. I went ahead and bought the 2 1/4 horse Porter Cable with plunge kit. It has a different depth adjustment system than the 1 3/4. Much smoother, and the motor doesn't twist. Haven't used it much yet. It is much quieter than my old router. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                X