No announcement yet.

capanion scroll saw

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• capanion scroll saw

This saw is old. it is a friends and he wants me to repair it.(it was his fathers).is any body familar with this saw it is a craftsman. the problem with it is the blade holers are missing some type of pin. iam going to get started on it next week. if i cant find parts i have to try and make them or get them made.i am doing this for him so he can help me install a dish washer. the part of the job i do not know is cutting down the cupboards and doing all the routing and so on like most of you know how to do. I think when i find time i am going to work with him in his shop so i can start a little learning of my own.
    A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Companion brand tools are near the very bottom of the tool food chain. I understand and appreciate your friends emotional attachment to it as it was his fathers. (I too have a lot of older equipment and tools that belonged to my father.)

Perhaps the best place to go would be the craftsman tool website and ask there. But given the initial quality of the tool you might suggest he replace it with a new scroll saw. Is there another favor you could barter for to have your cabinet work done?
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

John, have you looked a Sears Parts website. If you have the model number you should be able to get a parts list and exploded diagram of the tool which will give you an idea of what the missing part looks like which may help with finding a replacement or fabricating your own.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

I'm not familiar with the Companion "Scroll-Saw". Do you mean "sabre saw"? (the hand-held unit with the short reciprocating blade; not the bench-top saw with the thin little blade that is used for making jig saw puzzles and other scrolling type cuts)

The "Companion" line has been around for at least three or four decades and represents Sears bottom-of-the-line entry level tools. I have a 1/4 inch single-speed Companion drill that I bought back in 1979 for about $7. The thing still works despite the fact that it only has bronze bearings. Sears still lists it on their parts site, so I imagine that some parts are still available for it. So, check the name plate for the model number of the saw and then go to and check the "Parts" area to see if you can find the part that you need. However, other than sentimental value, you might want to consider just retiring the tool. It is doubtful that it is double insulated or built to withstand much of a workload, at least by today's standards.

I hope this helps,