X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a bad buy

I picked up 8 of these over the weekend.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=31255

I had to return 2 because the threads for the pipe was messed up. Of the 2 I replaced 1 was bad. I finally got 8 good ones, maybe that is why they were on sale.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

TOD,

I picked up a few of these in 18" lengths the other day at the same price.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7665ef8e7a73b4d81f2946814a002dbf.gif
Views:	1
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	95

I dont have a problem with stuff like this from HF, just air tools and such. Had to return an air nailer and a small welder before.

Jerry
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Just a warning. I picked up a few of these bar clamps on sale at HF (not pipe clamps) and for the most part they seem like good solid clamps. The throat depth is actually longer than the jorgenson and irwin clamps that I have. Very sturdy construction and heavy duty. The only concern I would have is that I noticed that the rubber pad on the HF clamps were sticking and leaving marks on the piece I was clamping while the jorgenson and irwin clamps did not do this. It was easily remedied with some masking tape over the rubber pads. Make sure you inspect the clamp before you take it home, I noticed some of them had damaged threads which made it difficult to turn the knob.

Comment

Ryan,

I have difficulty keeping the rubber pads on mine period. I have gotten into the habit of inserting a soft piece of wood between the metal and the piece of furniture. Awkward, but effective .

Jerry

Comment

Dad gave me 2 sets of these some time ago. I agree about the rubber pad, it's pretty useless. When it's not falling off it mars the wood. Like steelewoodworker, I use a soft piece of wood on the clamp face. I think I might glue some material on there permanently.

Other than that, they're terrific, cheap, practical, cheap, functional, and cheap!!! What more do you want in a bar clamp?
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD
            I picked up 8 of these over the weekend.
            http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=31255

I had to return 2 because the threads for the pipe was messed up. Of the 2 I replaced 1 was bad. I finally got 8 good ones, maybe that is why they were on sale.
            Had the same sorta experience myself yesterday with these pipe clamps. I bought two sets but when I got them home the part that slides on the pipe on one of the sets was slightly undersized and wouldn't function properly. Took it back and they replaced it with another set. When I got that set back home and was putting it together I found out the threads on the handle section is extremely hard to turn. I've purchased these pipe clamps in the past and never had problem one with them before. Maybe its just a problem with the current batch on the shelves now but it does appear that the quality of the #31255 has gone a little downhill. I know its Harbor Freight but what it'll cost me in extra gas to finally end up with two functional pipe clamps does not make them a bargin anymore.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Not a good sign...

I ordered 4 sets myself. My nearest HF is an hour away so going there and picking up anything is pretty well not happening. At least not very often. Never the less RETURNING things over and over.

YIKES!
              Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy
                ... like steelewoodworker, I use a soft piece of wood on the clamp face. I think I might glue some material on there permanently
                Sandy,

I have been cognitating over this myself for some time. Have not had a brain storm as yet that I think will withstand time and rough handling. Let me know what you finally do.

How were you going to "glue" them on? Seems like the pressure and rough handling would make this ineffective, but I havent done it yet so dont know? I thought about drill and tapping but that seems way overkill and more time than I really have to devote to it.

Jerry

Comment

I glued some old cedar scraps onto my bar clamps a few months ago using that Gorilla Glue. It has worked pretty well thus far. Only one came off and that was from about a 8 foot drop and landed pretty much directly on the wood (of course ). The others have held up great and to a decent amount of abuse.

Only thing I would say is that it really doesn't take much of that glue since it tends to "foam up" when drying and can really leak around the edges. I just cut a few scraps down to size, put a few drops of the glue on and then clamped them shut for the night and have had no problems!

WWS
                  Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

WWS,

After asking the above qiestion, I thought that one could simply drill a hole or two in the metal pads and then use the polyurethane glue (Gorilla) and that should hold.

Thanks for the comment.

Jerry

Comment

I took the pipe with me so all I had to do was check them in the parking lot. Glad I did it saved some gas.
                      SSG, U.S. Army
                      Retired
                      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I had a couple of those that the little metal swivels didn't rotate so the rubber pad would twist off. Working the swivel loose with a pair of pliers helped a lot.
                        Lorax
                        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Yeah, I used Gorilla Glue to attach some thin pine pieces on the metal bench vise (this is an old old vise, and the screws no longer turn). That's what I was going to use on the pipe clamps. Pine is probably not the top choice, but it's what I have tons of scraps of.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Didn't like them

I bought them and my biggest complaint is right in line with everyone else. The plastic caps fall off very easy and I have a big issue with the round screw end. It seems it was a bit of a tight fit to get these on and instead of adjusting in a ball joint, they lock up and as I screw it tight, the round end "walks" around as I screw it on. Besides indenting on the wood (I use a scrap piece like most), I wish I had paid a few bucks more and bought a name brand.

HF has their moments, but for the most part it is just cheap foreign crap.

What else would you expect for $3 though?

David

Comment

I don't like rubber on clamps. I'm always afraif that the rubber will leave marks. The resins in certain woods can be very reactive with polymers in rubber.

A quick and easy fix is to shave the rubber off and replace them with pieces of self-adhesive cork. Small sheets from HD are cheap and easy to cut with a pair of scissors. The cork doesn't have hte same polymers as rubber so there's not much to react with any resins in the wood being clamped. The cork adds a bit of "spring" to the clamping, too.
                              Ian Wilson

Comment

Working...
                              X