X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scroll saw blades

Hey guys,are scroll saw blades interchangable with all saws like the blades for sawzalls?
    A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Chic,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know if scroll saw blades are interchangeable with ANY scroll saw?

Well, at least with the models that I have seen, YES. But, there are two types of "ends" on scroll saw blades: "pin" and "plain". I believe that some older saws, especially on the inexpensive end of the market, will only except "pin end" blades. This allows the vise or clamp that holds the blade to be cheaper and thus, will hold the pin-end blades securely. Pin-end blades have a tiny pin which is inserted through the side of each end of the blade, forming a t-like end which is held in a notched vice or clamp. As the scroll saw arm reciprocates up and down, this type of end is less likely to slip from the notched position on the blade vice or clamp.

Plain-end blades have to be held firmly between the clamp or vice jaws and are more susceptable to slipping loose. Therefore the "plain-end" blades require a fairly well designed clamping mechanism which will hold the plain-end blade securely.

I believe that most, if not all, scroll saws today will take both pin-end or plain-end blades. Pin-end blades are nice from the point of view that they are easily secured and therefore less frustrating to use, because they do not come loose easily. However, plain-end blades offer the advantage that they can be made much smaller (as viewed from the side of the blade) because they do not require the additional surface in which to mount a cross-pin. They can also be made with less expense.

Plain-end blades are usually preferred by the experienced scroller, because they can be used in much smaller piercing cuts. Their smaller profile allows them to be used with only the tiniest of drill holes and they can scroll through the sharpest of corners and turns. I think you will also find that there is a much larger variety of blade types, tooth-profiles, etc. with plain-end blades. They are also cheaper to make and therefore cheaper to purchase. Here is a link to an excellent source for blades and other scroll-saw information: http://www.mikesworkshop.com/index.htm

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Another source for blades plus scroll saw lumber is http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

cwsmith ,thanks for the info on the types of blades and the explanation of them.I do have the pin type on an old capanion saw(cheapie).I know that i cannot get parts for this saw so i am going to try out some different set screws to hold the blade in. iam thinking that the set screw for a milw. sawzaw should work just might have to re tap the threads on the blade holder.
        A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Working...
        X