X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projects

This one is still being worked on, but here it is so far with a look around the shop. It is a craddle for my little girl that is due in March. The cherry was reclaimed from a dinner table that a friend of my wife's gave us to us as material. The table had some damage to the top, and it was originally given to them as a wedding present. The table was stamped,

Made By
    Ellen Gasner
    Gasner Woodworking
    Waseca, Minn.

A friend of the groom owned this buissness and made it for the couple.

I am making them 3 Large picture frames out of the material as well as the craddle.
    Attached Files
    Durham

Extra Storage!

I as recently made this storage out of mostly scrap. It was in a recent Workbench Mag, and ideal for the wasted space above the garage door.
    Attached Files
    Durham

Comment

Looks great, My wife and I had our first child in june of last year she in now 8 months old. While my wife was preg. we were in the middle of major remodeling project of our home it 175 yr old and had been empty for 2.5 years befor we got it. any way to make a long story short My daughter is not scared of any noises she can be out in the shop with me and nap with saws running and air nailers. Your Crib looks great.
      Have a great day unless you've made other plans.

Comment

Nice work kdurhamjr !

Jerry
        It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

kdurhamjr,
          Project looks great. Best of luck with the family addition. Changes everything...
          Although it's great to see the project, I love seeing other people's shops. Mine is in the two car garage as well.

Love the storage rack. I don't have that mag but saw the pic on the website and am halfway through building my own version out of scrap. Funny thing, I used twisted 2x3s and forced them into position, level and square. Wasn't sure I could do it as the entire thing looked like a pretzel after I got it assembled! It's working out but straight lumber is MUCH better!
          Stay well and play well.
          Skip

Comment

Sweet job on rocker.

But my real love is the shop so Clean and light.

Plus the floor.

How do you get it into so many different slabs?

Mine is one big pour?

Oklahoma area.
            Not responsible for speeling mistakes
            Jeff

Comment

Nice job

Although the style of your cradle is a little modern for my tastes, (I'm an old fart ) I give you credit for excellent workmanship. Beautiful job.
              Lorax
              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Thanks guys

E_S_Taylor: I hope my kid likes coming out and working with me, so does my wife. Then she can have us both out of her hair for a bit, hehe.

skipsax: Thanks for liking my shop setup. I love the bins, I am waiting for more scrap material to finish off the slat material for the bins. I have 19" of clearance when the door is at its apex, so I found a long narrow rubber made bun, it is the 95 quart one with the dimensions of roughly 14" x 16" x 34" and I designed the bay to hold two of them side by side so I have room for 12 total above the door. The rack is 50" long so I could get into the joist and have some room infront of the bins when they were in.

Reef12: Thanks, the banded rockers were a first for me. I used system three epoxy, and two 2"x6" screwed together to make the 38" radius form. I got to use my new band saw to cut the radius and resaw the cherry to 1/8-3/16. Noone told me to use plastic or wax paper between the form and the rocker to keep the squeez out from the epoxy from holding to the form, buy I didn't ask, hehe.

As for the lighting, my garage until recently had 1 15amp plug on a GFI switch and 1 small bulb that ran off a switch just on the inside of the door to the house. My neighbor and I teamed up and rewired the switch to operate new overhead lighting and I added a new 20 amp breaker so I now have 2 outlets at each end of the bench area, 1 next to the lumber rack for the compressor, and one in the ceiling were the little light use to be.

The floor is quartered I think, because of California code, earthquakes, but I am not certain of the. I know that I cannot drill into it, because it is pretentioned or something like that. I will say one thing, those grooves sure are nice for sweeping what little I have to into, and running the DC down them.

L, Thanks for the words. My wife spent a few weeks looking for the plans she wanted and this is the one she decided on. While not yet an old fart I at first agreed with you, but I told her I would make her which everyone she picked out. I wanted to use a bird's eye maple ply on the ends, but a local hardwood supplier quoted me 2-3 weeks lead time and $650 for a 4'x8' sheet, so I went with a maple ply for $50.

Jerry, Thanks

Thanks again all, lets start getting more pics up. Projects, shops, whatever.
                Durham

Comment

If mama aint happy......

[quote=kdurhamjr] While not yet an old fart I at first agreed with you, but I told her I would make her which ever one she picked out. quote]

You are wise beyond your years, young man.

PS: Have you seen this thread?
                  http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...3043#post13043
                  Last edited by Lorax; 02-10-2006, 03:17 PM.
                  Lorax
                  "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Great looking project. Your wife is giving birth to your first child, and you have created a family treasure!

Really like your shop. Didn't know it was possible to keep a shop that clean.

Comment

L, yes, I saw that thread, and that is an absolutly imazeing crib you made. I thought about making one my self, but my wife wanted one in the room and the walls painted and such up just as soon as possible, so I didn't have a chance. It did take me a few days to do the paint job in the room check it out. I am puting crown up sometime this week. I also tried my hand at finish work, you can see the finished window in the pic, as they wanted like $3000 to finish off the trim work on our windows when we bought our home, and I said no thanks.
                      Attached Files
                      Durham

Comment

Originally posted by kdurhamjr
                        I wanted to use a bird's eye maple ply on the ends, but a local hardwood supplier quoted me 2-3 weeks lead time and $650 for a 4'x8' sheet, so I went with a maple ply for $50.

Jerry, Thanks

Thanks again all, lets start getting more pics up. Projects, shops, whatever.

Good Golly Miss Molly $650.00 is that the whole tree or a piece.

thought wood here was high Cherry at $11.00 and Red Oak at $5.00 use to pay that much for cherry.
                        Not responsible for speeling mistakes
                        Jeff

Comment

Working...
                        X