X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tp 1300??

I have been stewing for two weeks over buying a new planer. This is my first portable planer. I have a Bosch 3 1/2 handheld. I have read the review in April 2005 popular woodworking a dozen times. After many days of agonizing I am stuck on the tp1300 or the dw734...cannot afford the dw735. The major difference seems to be the three blade verse two blade. Someone tell me... convince me why the Ridgid two blade will be just as good as the dw three blade and I will buy the Ridgid. I am aware of the Ridgid 66 cpi vs the 96 cpi of the dw.
    Last edited by mikhen7; 02-10-2006, 12:03 AM.
    "USA Today has come up with a new survey. Apparently three out of four
    people make up 75 percent of the population."
    David Letterman, late-night talk show host

I just went through this myself. I bought the tp1300 last week. The big thing that kept me away from the Dewalt was the price of replacement knives. The tp1300 also comes with a stand, a DC hood, an extra set of knives, and, if you register online and send in the UPC and copy of the receipt, a limited lifetime warranty. Never having used the Dewalt, I can't say it is better or worse. I can say I have been happy with the Ridgid. Keep in mind I've only had it a week. There have been several threads about the tp1300 in the last few weeks. Do a search, and read them. Many have told of their experience with the Ridgid. Most people seem happy with their planers, regardless of brand. Good Luck.

Comment

I went through the same dilema several months ago. What made the decision easy for me was that I found the Ridgid planer locally through the recycler basically brand new never been used for $250.00 Turns out the guy that was selling it lived about 2 miles from my G/F's house which made it convenient. I haven't had a chance to use it too much yet but the few times I did I've been very happy with the results.

Comment

I knew I was not the only one. I read the posted replies to my wife and she just shook her head said when men give birth then they can say they are having have a dilema. Until then just pick a machine!! Well here is the tally Ridgid 2 DW 0

Comment

hahaha your wife's comments are pretty funny. I guess women just don't understand the importance of tools to men.

Comment

I've been looking also... but so far, the money isn't in my budget for either. Maybe later in the year. But, unless something startling happens to change my mind, my choice is the Ridgid.

First off, there's the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement... free service for as long as I own the machine; how can you beat that?

Second, from the many posts that I have read, the Ridgid is a well liked machine and has held up for most everyone that has owned one. I've read many posts where the cuts are quite smooth, so without seeing two similar boards run through each planer, side-by-side, I guess I won't know the difference.

Third, and this may be important for my budget. The Ridgid comes with an extra set of blades, the blades are double edged, and a new set of double-edge blades are only $30. What does a new set of DeWalt blades cost and can they be reversed like the Ridgid?

Also bear in mind that blades most often get replaced because they get nicked.... so, replacing a double blade set would probably be cheaper than replacing a triple blade set.

Like I said, I haven't bought a planer yet and maybe something out there might persuade me otherwise; but for now, my sights are set on the Ridgid.

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 02-10-2006, 02:03 AM.

Comment

I agree with you on every count. I guess what I am wondering is whether the finish on the three blade Dewalt is really that much better than the finish on the two blade Ridgid. Like you said unless you put two boards side by side to compare we will never really know. Logic would lean toward more cuts per inch being better, but for a good finish what really is the bottom line on cuts per inch? If the higher 96 cpi was so much better then why haven't all the planer manufactures rushed out to increase their cuts per inch? You could increase the cpi of a planer just by slowing the infeed down just a tad so the head spins more rpms in a given inch. Or go to three blades.

The DW734 blades are around $50.00 to replace. So thats quite a chunk to look at. They are reversible and they cannot be resharpened. Here is another thought.....The DW734 has only one speed and so does the Ridgid, but if speed is what makes a difference on thicknessing compared to finishing then I am assuming that the second speed is really not all that important or all planers would have two speeds. Is this good logic?

Comment

I own the TP1300 and love it. As far as 3 knives versus 2 I feel that it is not worth the extra expense. My boards come out very smooth and flat. Of course dull knives will not give a good finish. Also in most finishing processes there is sanding involved. I would opt for the ridgid and with the money saved get the herc-u lift plus for it. I have the herc-u-lift on all my power tools since my shop is small. Sure does make it nice to push it out of the way when it is not needed.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Has anybody done a real comparison of the final planed piece's of stock having used the three blade and the two blade planers?
                  Last edited by mikhen7; 02-10-2006, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I know nothing about the Dewalt but I have the older TP1300 (gray) and love it. With the stand, the dust hood, and the extra knives it is a real winner IMHO. I also put a herculift+ on mine a few weeks ago and it was the best $29 I ever spent.

Comment

With fresh blades it'll probably be hard to tell a difference in the finish between the two planers, but I'd think you'll want to hit the surface with a light sanding regardless of which machine you use....especially once the blades dull a bit or get dings in them. Pick the one you like best.

Comment

Ridgid 1300

Ive been using the ridgid 1300 about 2 years now and have great luck with it. I planed oak, poplar,cedar,walnut,fruitwoods,maple, and just recently 100 year old pine. It does a fine job. Just take small cuts and keep the knives sharp. With the good price,free stand,extra double edged knives and ease of changing knives how can you go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X