X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clamps

How do you store your clamps? I am getting to the point where I am running out of wall space to store them. I have been thinking about a mobile cart to hang them on. That way I could wheel them over to where I am working and grab them as I need them. Has anyone built such a thing? If so post a picture.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Haven't built one myself, I have not run out of wall space as yet.

There are plent of examples on various woodworking sites, and plans available for free or for a small fee. Norm built a mobile clamp rack a few years back. Check the NYW website for the project plans. They are also available from Rockler and others on the net.

I think after you look over a few designs you will be able to put together something of your own design that suits your needs specifically, no need to spend money on a plan.

Check out this forum thread:
    http://www.woodworking.org/InfoExcha...29c245eacd15b0
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Clamp Storage

Have you run out of ceiling or rafter space ? My Pipe clamps rest horizontal on simple 2x2 frame affair mounted to ceiling studs. Short step stool to reach them. They can take a lot of wall space.... Agree...no need to purchase plans.

Slipknot

Comment

My shop is in a finished garage, no exposed studs. So hanging from ceiling is really not an option for me.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

It may be a finished garage, but there are still studs under (over!) the drywall. Slipknot stated he made 2' x 2' frames, attached them to the studs, and places the pipes in these frames. You could do the same. It isn't necessary for the studs to be exposed. If you can't see where the nails or screws are, you can use a stud finder.

Comment

I guess I did not make myself clear. I know I could do as you mentioned but I do not want to put any holes in the ceiling. I have the attic insulated and do not want to start losing heat due to holes. Also it is only an 8 foot ceiling so I need all the overhead room I can get.
            SSG, U.S. Army
            Retired
            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

TOD,

I had the same problem with lack of available wall space and built a small clamp cart. I store the glue, glue brushes and squaring aids on the cart too. A picture of mine is in the 'woodworking.org' thread posted by Bob D., but I'll post one here too.

The bungee cords were not really needed when I took the picture, but I now store my router fence on there too.

Bob R

Comment

Bob R, I like you clamp cart. Not too big but lots of storage space it seems. And the tray up top to hold glue, etc is a good idea too.

BTW, you shop looks like it is well organized from what I can see of the background. Someday I will have mine finished off inside, insulated, and a decent heating system installed so on days like today (12 Deg F, 22F in the shop) I can work out there in relative comfort. If I ran my kerosene heater full throttle it might get to 40F after 3 or 4 hours.

When that happens, I will have to find a clamp storage solution such as yours in place of hanging all my clamps from the wall as I do now.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
                  Bob R, I like you clamp cart. Not too big but lots of storage space it seems. And the tray up top to hold glue, etc is a good idea too.

BTW, you shop looks like it is well organized from what I can see of the background. Someday I will have mine finished off inside, insulated, and a decent heating system installed so on days like today (12 Deg F, 22F in the shop) I can work out there in relative comfort. If I ran my kerosene heater full throttle it might get to 40F after 3 or 4 hours.

When that happens, I will have to find a clamp storage solution such as yours in place of hanging all my clamps from the wall as I do now.
                  Bob,

I looked at a lot of clamp cart pics before I built mine, but they were too big because of the splayed legs. To eliminate that feature, I put the heavy part of the clamps on the bottom (where they really should be). Mine takes up very little room and since I made it out of scraps, it was really cheap to build.

I finally had time to get the shop organized after I had surgery last year. If you'd like to see any more pics of it, go to the link you posted and hit my profile and then my gallery to see some more pics.

I know what you mean about the cold. I just fired up my kerosene heater and am waiting for the shop to warm up. It was 16 degrees this morning, but my shop is insulated so it only takes about an hour to warm up enough to work in it.

Bob R

Comment

Re: Clamps

Here is a rack I ordered from WOODCRAFT, HTC Clamp Rack. On sale for $49.99, not a bad price. It's about 50% off from the regular price.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Whitey's; 12-16-2007, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Re: Clamps

Bob R has a nice setup there. That's a nice clean workshop if I ever saw one.

Please do use the bungee cords as you don't need clamps falling when moving the cart.

Comment

Working...
                      X