TS resaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS resaw

I am nervously doing some resaw on my table saw again. I gave it up a while back after my first attempt smoked my best blade. I bought some 5/4 walnut at a really good price a couple of days ago, and just couldn't wait until I can afford a good BS to use it. It went really smooth this time, but I'm a little concerned about safety. Are any of you doing this out there, and are you having problems with kickback? I'm also a little concerned about having to run my fingers that close to the blade run nearly all the way up. FYI I am making multiple passes no more than 1 inch. I haven't made a ZCI with a resaw splitter yet, but I plan on it. I would appreciate some feedback. I have my eye on a piece of curly maple that would make a ton of beautiful boxes

Someone recently posted this site on here, http://featherbow.com/.

I would suggest a couple of feather-boards and push-sticks, if your set-up is correct, then you should have to get your hands any closer than you want to.
    Durham

Comment

How wide is the board you are resawing?
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I'm not doing anything over 6".

Comment

If your gut tells you its unsafe, it probably is. A featherboard (in front of the blade, not even with it or behind it because it will pinch the wood against the blade) will prevent kickback. A universal jig, or a home made one that rides on top of an auxiliary fence to push the wood and keep it flush with table will keep your hands a safe distance from the blade. If you search some of the woodworking how-to sites, you should be able to come up with something that YOU feel is safe. If woodworking is your hobby, then it should be enjoyable, not "scary". If its your business, then it is even more important to find a comfortable way of doing it as you will be doing it much more often. It may take a little more time to make a good jig to do what you want, but, hey, more chance to play with the neat toys!
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
          X