Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions on TS2424

Hello,
    New member here. I'm currently in the market for a new table saw and have about decided to get the TS3650 but I found a five year old TS2424 for sale. I have done a search on the TS2424 on this site and have read the responses. Some of the responses have mentioned problems with the fence being able to lock out of square and the motor not being a TEFC type. I would appreciate your opinions on the TS2424 vs the TS3650. The TS2424 looks to be in very good condition and the seller is asking $250. Thanks, Kevin

I believe the free lifetime service agreement is still available for new Ridgid power tools (if you register them, which is free). That would pretty much make the decision for me. But maybe you've already considered this fact.
    So many saws, so few fingers...

Comment

KHP, sounds like the real decision is up to you. I have heard a lot of good things about the TS2424. I personally own the TS3650, but might have found it hard to pass up a TS2424 at a good price at the time. It has a smaller footprint as well and is more portable. Lee makes a good point about the lifetime warranty though as well. So it may depend on whether or not you need a portable TS or not, how much you are willing to spend and footprint. Otherwise I don't see much bigger differences (maybe table space). I am quite happy with my TS3650 and know others are also happy with the TS2424.

WWS
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Welcome KHP, and you are correct about the fence having the ability to lock out of square. The recommended procedure is a two handed process, you push the fence toward the back of the saw with one hand and lock down the front with the other. When operated it in this manner it will produce repeatable results. Locking the fence down while off kilter may render it unable to produce future repeatable results, so this is definitely something you should check out prior to a purchase. I’ve had mine for 3 ½ years and have had no concerns with the motor not being TEFC. Other points to consider, the 2424 has a max rip capacity of 24” compared to 36” on the 3650. The 2424 and motor are also made in the USA if that is an issue with you. The 3650 also has more mass to its wings and still has slots for clamping if needed, best of both worlds. I’m unsure of what a reasonable price on a used TS would be, but $250 doesn’t sound excessive to me at all especially if you happen to get a decent blade thrown in.

Good luck

Woodslayer

Comment

I bleieve WWS is confusing the TS2424 with the TS2400. The 2424 is a contractor saw while the 2400 is considered more of a jobsite saw. The 2424 is one of the predecessors to the current 3650 and predates the 3612. The primary difference between the 2424 and the 3612/3650 is the fence and rail system. As designed, the 2424 isn't supposed to give you the capability to rip 36" right of the blade like the 3612/3650 but that can easily be rectified by moving the rail system over to the right. The fence also doesn't have the micro adjustment feature that you'll find on the 3612/3650. A nice feature but definately shouldn't be a deal killer.

As far as the motor not being a TEFC motor you're correct, it isn't. On the other hand it is an American made Emerson motor whereas the 3650's motor is, I believe, made in China. A TEFC motor is definately a plus but if you keep the Emerson motor clean and blow out the sawdust on a regular basis there's no reason why it shouldn't last a long time. I have a 3612 and it also has the non-TEFC Emerson motor and the fact that it isn't TECF has never been an issue.

Although I personally believe that the Ridgid fence and rail system is as good as most, you could purchase an after market fence and rails if the 2424's system isn't to your liking. I think for $250, I'd give that 2424 a real close look.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave is exactly right. I opened my big mouth without reading closely enough. Sorry to add confusion with my own confusion! I think Dave and woodslayer gave a great response (as usual!) and would agree that for $250 it is not a bad deal in good condition.

Sorry about that one again. Got over zealous with my attempt to help!

WWS
            Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I am going to go take a look at this saw as soon as I can.

Comment

If the 2424 is in as good shape as you expect, and for the price or slightly less like $225, I wouldn't even think about the 3650. I'd tke the $300+ dollars you save over a new TS-3650 and buy another tool, like a planer, bandsaw, or jointer, or whatever else you need (either a jointer or bandsaw would be a toss up for me if I didn't have them already).

The LSA on the 3650 would not factor in much to me. The rails and motor Dave has covered and I agree with him, not deal breakers.

I say, see if you can get it for $225, but don't walk away from it at $250 if you can't strike a deal for less.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Quote from Dave: “The fence also doesn't have the micro adjustment feature that you'll find on the 3612/3650. A nice feature but definately shouldn't be a deal killer."

As stated in the TS2424 manual:

11. Micro-Adjust Rip Fence...allows the operator
                  to accurately adjust the rip fence using only one hand. To
                  move the fence push in on the micro-adjust knob and
                  rotate.

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer
                    Quote from Dave: “The fence also doesn't have the micro adjustment feature that you'll find on the 3612/3650. A nice feature but definately shouldn't be a deal killer."

As stated in the TS2424 manual:

11. Micro-Adjust Rip Fence...allows the operator
                    to accurately adjust the rip fence using only one hand. To
                    move the fence push in on the micro-adjust knob and
                    rotate.

Woodslayer
                    Help me out here. Was I thinking about the 2412 then or having another long term memory loss issue? Am I just imagining that Ridgid had a TS where the fence didn't have the micro adjustment knob? I could have sworn that when I bought my 3612 the salesman told me that the micro adjustment knob was one of the upgrades from the 2424. Sorry for any confusion.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I thought the 2412 also had the micro adjustment knob.
                      Andy B.

Comment

need opinions on ts2424

The 2412 fence did not come with a micro adjustment knob. I purchased a 2412 approximately 2 years ago when the color changeover occured for $265 new, in the box. I later upgraded with an AC1036, the rail set sized like that on the 3650, for, are you ready, $20, new. This improved rail set had the micro adjustment knob ( push in and turn to adjust) but it seems to be somewhat difficult to use and relatively useless. Am I doing something wrong?
                        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

KHP,
                          If you're in the MN area, I'd be happy to sell you my 2424-1 for $250.
                          you can have all my ZCIs and the PALS alignment system along with it...
                          My shop:
                          Ridgid TS2424 w/Forrest WWII
                          Incra TSIII w/Wonderfence & rt. side table
                          Old Shopmaster 14" bandsaw
                          Sunhill 6" Jointer
                          DW708 SCMS w/Forrest Chopmaster
                          Delta Shopmaster drillpress
                          Incra Router Lift
                          Pro Ftr guides
                          2 Grrrippers & 2 GripTites
                          CMJ splitter
                          10 fingers

Comment

KHP, even though I might be a little late in posting this, but here's my two cents. I researched, for about a year, many table saws before buying my TS3650, my first I might add. The difference in price wasn't much considering what you get. I beleive the TS3650 over the TS2424 for the small amount of money was the decision maker for me. Also take into consideration what you will be using it for, will you be cutting sheets of plywood, hardwood, softwood, etc.. Reason I say that is it was a good thing for me, or I should say for my dad that I had a contractor saw vs job site cause he needed to rip quite a few pressure treated 2x4's and 2x6's. If he had used his job site saw I think he would have ruined it or it wouldn't be the same as before. I beleive the difference in price was about $80, but I now see that it is $200 difference which would make an influence on me. I will say that I DON'T regret buying the TS3650. Follow the instruction/assembly manual and the online manual and had no problems what so ever. Good luck in your decision.

Doug

Comment

Doug,

I think you may be referring to Ridgid's TS2400, not the TS2424. The TS2424 was a predecessor (twice removed) from the TS3650. The 3650 and 2424 were never sold (new) at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                              X