X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing/Staining Ref

I have searched for but cannot find an old post (I believe it was by the esteemed Lorax in response to a question on staining) giving an author and book recommendation for finishing/staining wood/furniture. All the internet options are great, but I prefer hardcopy for any extensive reading. Who are your favorite gurus on the subject?
    Practicing at practical wood working

I like Bob Flexner's "Understanding Wood Finishing". It debunks myths, gives the technical reasons for choosing a finish and method, and isn't bogged down with how to spray or brush the finish. It is also very readable - I would call it beginning/intermediate level. If I had known it was published by Reader's Digest I would not have bought it, but I am pleasantly surprised. It was published in 1994 but is still relevant. You might be able to get a test read at your local library.

Fine Woodworking mag reports on special finishing projects several times a year. For my money it is the best mag devoted to woodworking.

Shade Tree

Comment

Complete Woodfinishing by Ian Hosker, ISBN 1-86108-247-9, is also another good book to check out. It pretty much covers everything from wood prep to making your own finishes.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Not me!

I am the last person you would want finishing advice from. I suck at it! !
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Thank you all. I'll stop by the library and see if they have either of these to check out and then look for a copy to purchase.
          Lorax, i've recall seeing some pictures you posted of your work, so either you're subbin' out the finishing work or you are under-rating your talent!
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Awww golly

Originally posted by Gofor
            Lorax, i've recall seeing some pictures you posted of your work, so either you're subbin' out the finishing work or you are under-rating your talent!
            Thanks for the kind words. That crib was a "labor of love" and I got lucky too. Believe me, I would sub out the finishing if I could.
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Working...
            X