X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router table discussion

It's time I got a real router table and probably a router to go in it. I'm willing to spend some cash, but I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible.

One option is to put an extensionon my table saw. I've seen some of you here with nifty table extensions on the 3650. I'm curious how you put the talbe in between the rails. I don't know the specifics, and I can be dumb as a post sometimes, so try and use small words and be as detailed as you can!

The other option, of course, is to get a free-standing router table. What are the pros and cons of this? Other than the fact the table takes up space, I don't see where using the table saw extension really is a benefit, but I may be missing something.

As for router, I'm leaning towards the PC. It seems to have been designed for being mounted in a table. I just want to get something that isn't going to fight me every time I want to change a bit, and that has variable speed.

I really appreciate all the wonderful advice and support I've seen here. It's great to know a newbie post-dumb girl such as myself can come here and ask questions like this and not get flamed!! It's also nice that Ridgid isn't going to flame me for looking at a tool from the competition. Good on ya, friends! I love all the Ridgid tools I have, and this board was a huge point in their favor in my purchasing decisions.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

I'm in the same boat

I'm not sure what to do either Sandy.
    I'm thinking about getting the Porter-Cable 8529 router ($189)
    http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/po852hpvaspr.html
    And the Rockler insert for it ($48.49 #67349)
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1385
    Make my own laminated table for the end of my 3650 and use the fence from it (with aux fence of course).
    Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Here is a thread with pictures of mine.
      http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7574

I have since upgraded to the dewalt 3 base router. I have the fixed base mounted to the table giving me the plunge and D handle base to use for other projects. The table is a ryobi table that I had to trim down. I added the legs for stability, they work just fine with herc-u-lift so saw is still movable. The way I mounted the table is that it sets on the rail spreader bar and is secured to it by using plumbers strap. At the wing side is angle steel that came with the router table that is drilled and bolted to the wing. The switch that comes with the router table is now mounted on the right end of the saws fence rail.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Ya know, that's a good point TOD. I was wondering about using straight legs down to the floor, but i didn't like the idea of it interferring with the movement of the table. The herc-u-lift will pick the legs up with the whole saw! Hmmmmm...
        Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Originally posted by nobunaga-sama
          Ya know, that's a good point TOD. I was wondering about using straight legs down to the floor, but i didn't like the idea of it interferring with the movement of the table. The herc-u-lift will pick the legs up with the whole saw! Hmmmmm...
          The only thing is HD is really proud of that aluminum, just that little bit run me $80.00.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Gulp!

Yumpin Yimminy!!
            Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

I picked up the Industio CMT router table. the surface is very smooth and has a great fence. it gives me a great sense of false security. i about took a knuckle off on a home made one with kick back. i didn't like the phenolic top when i was drilling the holes to mount the router. the phenolic kept wanting to chip.

Comment

Unless you buy Rockler bits which they seam to be 3 1/8", if you buy Rockler plate the small plate the opening is only 3 1/4 and the large plate is 3 5/8", and they are 1/4" aluminum.

Another problem I found is that every company has a size plate that will only fit their own table

Other plate choices:
                Rousseau 3509 9" x 12" x 3/8" Deluxe Router Base Plate – you will have to drill the holes for whatever router you get.

Woodpeck aluminum Router plate Dimensions: 9-1/4 x 11-3/4 x 3/8 thick

Woodhaven aluminum Router plate Insert thickness tolerance is +.000 to -.005". Plate is 9-1/4" x 11-3/4" x 3/8" thick

Note I am only giving you aluminum plates, why? because if you use anything other than aluminum, the weight of the router eventually will warp the plate in my opinion of-course!

Comment

sorry for the resend I missed the first part of my post...

Are you going to use your router to make raise panels? if so, you need to find a plate that can handle a 3HP router and the opening on the plate is large enough to fit the bits. The bit on a raise panel is 3 1/2" in diameter Freud, CMT and so on..

Unless you buy Rockler bits which they seam to be 3 1/8", if you buy Rockler plate the small plate the opening is only 3 1/4 and the large plate is 3 5/8", and they are 1/4" aluminum.

Another problem I found is that every company has a size plate that will only fit their own table

Other plate choices:
                  Rousseau 3509 9" x 12" x 3/8" Deluxe Router Base Plate – you will have to drill the holes for whatever router you get.

Woodpeck aluminum Router plate Dimensions: 9-1/4 x 11-3/4 x 3/8 thick

Woodhaven aluminum Router plate Insert thickness tolerance is +.000 to -.005". Plate is 9-1/4" x 11-3/4" x 3/8" thick

Note I am only giving you aluminum plates, why? because if you use anything other than aluminum, the weight of the router eventually will warp the plate in my opinion of-course!

Comment

Thanks olilugo!
                    I agree about the aluminum. That's why i was going after the Rockler.
                    I really don't have a specific need for the Rockler other than i like the pretty blue color...
                    I like the 3/8 thickness of the others. Thicker the better.
                    I'll go check these out and see what they are all about.

My only concern is... are they pretty blue color???
                    Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Orange and Blue? Yuck
                      SSG, U.S. Army
                      Retired
                      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy
                        It's time I got a real router table and probably a router to go in it. I'm willing to spend some cash, but I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible.

One option is to put an extensionon my table saw. I've seen some of you here with nifty table extensions on the 3650. I'm curious how you put the talbe in between the rails. I don't know the specifics, and I can be dumb as a post sometimes, so try and use small words and be as detailed as you can!
                        Sandy,
                        I had Woodpecker make the table in the pics below. I also have their Quicklift for my Bosch 1617 router. With the Quicklift I can have the router bit out of the way in 10 seconds and can remove the router from the lift in under a minute, for hand held use.
                        I rabbeted the front and back of the table and used 1" aluminum angle to mount to the t-slots in the rails.
                        I like it so well I will probably sell my stand alone table.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	fff0820624cea7460f2bb62562efa829.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	125

Click image for larger version

Name:	aeae293fd318391aaa59bda6f34e7b6e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	126
                        Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Hey in some societies, orange and blue are considered a delicacy...

Ken, how did you support your table?
                          Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

"Ken, how did you support your table?"

I haven't added any legs, etc yet. I'm still looking for a solution that I like. The table with the 1617 isn't 'that' heavy. If I stick the 3 1/2 hp 15 lb. hog in the table I'll have to have support. I may leave the big-un in the stand alone table. Decisions, decisions!
                            ken
                            Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Big Daddy!

hahaha... You mount that thing on there your 3650's fence will go sliding off the end.
                              Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Working...
                              X